tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

tents

Postby rgk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 pm

I don't know what kind of tent to get. I'm told that canvas tents are better than nylon tents because nylon does not keep out the dust, however canvas tents seem to run about $300-400. I was also told NOT to use an expensive tent, as the dust destroys zippers and therefore destroys tents. I already have a very nice, new, Marmot 3-person (nylon) backpacking tent that I was planning to use, but I don't want dust inside of it or a ruined tent.

I did find a used canvas tent on ebay for about $100 (unless the price skyrockets), but I am looking for some input before I buy it.
rgk

Postby Boijoy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm

boy there are ALOT of different opinions re: this subject. Can you post a picture of the e-bay tent? If it's sturdy & doesn't have alot of mesh, you should be ok.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Boijoy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

pm instead.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:08 pm

The playa dust is going to be in everything no matter what tent you have... Plain and simple!! As long as your tent does NOT have vents you won't have as much dust in your tent. To keep your stuff a little less dusty, just put a sheet over everything in your tent and when you want to sleep, pull off the sheet and shake it out. Poof not-so dusty stuff.

If you wash your tent just after getting home, it should be ok. Although it will permanently have a whiteish colour...

You will also need tent pegs that are longer and stronger than what comes with the tent. I use 1' reebar, and have had no issues for any of my 3 burns so far.

Good luck in your tent-quest!!

Love Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby rgk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Here is the tent:

rgk

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 pm

rgk wrote:Here is the tent:

As long as you park in the windward side of the tent and the poles are not previously damaged (in any way) I think you should be fine.

Did I mention about using reedbar and securing your structure??

http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi? ... nd&q_year=

Seriously, the when the wind gusts, it doesn't screw around...

Rice
Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:01 pm

You get what you pay for. Those cheap nylon tents are for people who car camp once or twice a year, and forget to put it away properly and just by a new one anyway.
Okay, there are some quality nylon tents. They are not likely to cost under $100.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:14 am

theCryptofishist wrote:You get what you pay for. Those cheap nylon tents are for people who car camp once or twice a year, and forget to put it away properly and just by a new one anyway.
Okay, there are some quality nylon tents. They are not likely to cost under $100.

My veteran burner friend has taken the same $35 Coleman to the playa for years and years.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby velocirafter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:26 am

I just use any old shitty tent, its just somewhere to keep my stuff really.

...sleeping under rv's and trucks is the way to go, it's pretty cool during the day
velocirafter

Postby sputnik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 am

I've used the same easy-set tent for years. It pops-up so setup takes about 5 minutes. I do stake it down well. It has two huge side vents. I just pull my rainfly down flat over them and it works pretty well. Yes, it does get dusty, but like an earlier poster said, I just cover everything with a sheet and live with the dust. I do recommend spraying some sort of lube onto your tent zipper before arriving.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 am

We use nylon tent under a carport, and clip a thick blanket or comforter over the mesh vents. Works like a charm. Our new cheap tent has no mesh, opens like an umbrella, sets up in a minute.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:40 am

C.f.M. wrote:
My veteran burner friend has taken the same $35 Coleman to the playa for years and years.

Where do I get this $35 Coleman, because I can't find it.
It's like an urban legend.

You can keep dust out.

Which marmot?
The cabela's model?
No mesh?

Nylon is superior, but more expensive for a playa tent.
Useful to be able to stand up out there.
gyre

Postby geospyder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 am

Behind a couple visitors to our camp is my nylon tent. I used 1/2 inch PVC as an exo-skeleton staked separately from the tent. I used tie wraps to connect the tent poles to the PVC. While our "panty" tent blew down this one stayed up. This year instead of clipped material over the meshed top I cut up the rain flap from another tent and my wife sewed it over the mesh to make it dust resistant.

Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Am I being daft?!

Postby British Henry » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 pm

I like to be self sufficient though I am really limited to what I can carry. Coming alone and from the UK-NY-Texas-BRC hmmm!

I have bought some silver ripstop nylon (parachute material) and I was going to make a "double layered" one of these:

http://www.survival-school.org/Portals/ ... _Basha.jpg

The layers - spaced 1ft apart, allow wind to cool the inner surface.

I was going to sleep on a fold out camp bed off the ground as that is also cooler.

Any dust I will just have to keep shaking off the bed etc.

Is this crazy?!?

Thanks...

Handy Hoorah Henry x (obvious newbie!)
Burning Man - I'm Henry / Hen @ Burning Man - Burning Hen = Roast Chicken!
British Henry

Re: Am I being daft?!

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm

British Henry wrote:I like to be self sufficient though I am really limited to what I can carry. Coming alone and from the UK-NY-Texas-BRC hmmm!

I have bought some silver ripstop nylon (parachute material) and I was going to make a "double layered" one of these:

http://www.survival-school.org/Portals/ ... _Basha.jpg

The layers - spaced 1ft apart, allow wind to cool the inner surface.

I was going to sleep on a fold out camp bed off the ground as that is also cooler.

Any dust I will just have to keep shaking off the bed etc.

Is this crazy?!?

Thanks...

Handy Hoorah Henry x (obvious newbie!)

Its been done before. Id rather pay $25 for a cheap tent at WalMart, and hide it behind a car. The more you try and take on the dust, the more its gonna kick your ass! If you can raise that tent a little higher, would make good shade!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I agree w/ Tom. You can pick up a cheap tent on the way to BRC via Reno or even Fernley. It's nice to keep "most" of the dust out of your bed & also have a little escape for some down time. It's not like regular dust,, it's weird, kinda "squeeky". As much as we all embrace the playa dust around here, we do clean it off every now & then. & for me, especially at bed time. I can't sleep dirty. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Gyre, does this count? It's $39.95, not including shipping and tax
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21973
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

swampdog wrote:Gyre, does this count? It's $39.95, not including shipping and tax

I'm not Gyre, but that will work. Tie it to a vehicle.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 pm

At night it will be cold. I don't know if you want to move off the cot, but you do want to think through going into the 40s and possibly 30s (farenheit, I don't have the centegrade, but the 20s, I think.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Sierra trading post in Reno... their website has a couple of ALPS tents under 100 dollars, maybe better deals in their retail outlet. ?
Elorrum

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:At night it will be cold. I don't know if you want to move off the cot, but you do want to think through going into the 40s and possibly 30s (farenheit, I don't have the centegrade, but the 20s, I think.)

20*C is quite warm (68*F). 32*F = 0*C (roughly).

But your point is correct. It could get quite cool, and possibly downright cold, at night. But not every year. Gotta plan for the possibility, though.
kman

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm

My windproof sleeping and transportation solution. Who needs an RV? Grab some donated Craigslisted furniture and an air mattress and you're set..

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 am

swampdog wrote:Gyre, does this count? It's $39.95, not including shipping and tax

Appears to have a lot of mesh and doesn't look big enough to stand up in.
I figured they were talking about a rugged older cabin tent.

There are some odd coleman models that turn up in one place, but not another.
One of their better tents was a tobacco company giveaway only.
I found some in a dollar store on the cape, about $70.
I wish I had bought one, but I couldn't afford it.
No mesh.
gyre

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 am

You want dust free (as dust free as it gets out there, you can stand up in it, and is awesome for high winds (just take down the center poll or pop it back in as needed) then get a wigwam. They are totally awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear%C2%AE-Single-Wigwam-Tent/dp/B003C5178E

Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Why we work.

Postby jpstiffin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:11 am

Forget the Marmot - buy a canvas Skybar - you won't regret it. I have brought the nylon tents in the past and every year, they have been torn apart by the winds, no mater how musch time and effort I take to secure them. The extra money you spend on an appropriate tent can make all the difference, as whehter you have a good expereince on the playa or a tolerable one. It's just money.
jpstiffin

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am

kman wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:At night it will be cold. I don't know if you want to move off the cot, but you do want to think through going into the 40s and possibly 30s (farenheit, I don't have the centegrade, but the 20s, I think.)

20*C is quite warm (68*F). 32*F = 0*C (roughly).

But your point is correct. It could get quite cool, and possibly downright cold, at night. But not every year. Gotta plan for the possibility, though.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking that -40 ~= -40 and 40c = 100f and just didn't have enough datapoints to approcimate the curve in my mind. And then I was too lazy to look it up.
It gets cold at night, sometimes quite cold.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FaeTora » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:53 am

I don't want to hyjack someone elses thread but I also don't want to start yet another thread with yet another tent question.

So I have 3 out of the 5 mesh areas of the tent fitted with cloth but i need to know how to secure it. my sewing skills arent good enough. so what about gaffer tape? has anyone tried that. I don't want to destroy someoen elses tent more than the playa already will but i want it to hold. he doesnt care if i sew it to the tent, but i cant get it to even temporary stay.

Thanks!
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:23 am

Faetorra, I used Gorilla duct tape to secure the materials I used to cover the mesh of my tent (it is kind of like a car windshield solar shade that I cut up). In the past I used regular duct tape, but the Gorilla brand held up much better in the heat than the regular brand. I don't know if it leaves a residue since I didn't pull it off, though, so if that matters, you might want to test it out.
MoonSplash

Crazy temperatures!

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I think some people are exaggerating the temperatures at Burning Man on the low side.

The record low, ever, during TEITD (in August) is 46ºF according to: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Histor ... n=USNV0033

And last year, during the "cold" temple burn: 45ºF
http://www.accuweather.com/us/nv/gerlac ... =9-01-2009

Averages and actual lows are pretty consistent at 47ºF-49ºF in September (warmer in August).

But, a drop of 45 degrees from the day's high seems pretty severe for city folk that are used to being indoors during the wee hours.
portaplaya

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Sorry.
Some of us city folks have been exposed to cold weather before.
Even with wind, I don't think I'm freezing at 45 F.

I'd like to take a good thermometer out there and get a direct reference.

Is Gerlach as cold as the playa?
In my city, our highs have varied in different areas of the city by as much as ten degrees, and we don't have a windblown flat place.
gyre

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping