Advice on the best way to secure Aluminet shade cloth?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Advice on the best way to secure Aluminet shade cloth?

Postby mrsmoo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:29 am

We have a nifty frame that we use for shade in front of our RV; it's a car-port style frame without the heavy tarp covering. Last year we used camo netting, this year I would like to buy a length of Aluminet (or regular shade cloth) to cover it. The cloth would be 20x20 or smaller.

The customer service guy at Outdoor Canopies advised taping the edges and putting brass grommets every foot. This really inflates the price, but if it's necessary I'll do it. It would be faster and much cheaper to buy a raw length of cloth and use clip-on fasteners like these:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Shar ... o/SC-9009/

But these are plastic! Will they hold up in the wind? Will they rip the cloth? Are they even big enough to use bungee ball-ties on? Should we use something other than bungee ball-ties? Would it be safe to use zip ties?

I have no idea how much abuse this cloth can take or how strong it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
mrsmoo

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 am

I've used Aluminet as shade for years... zip ties are fine, or kite line, bungees, plastic clips... all work well.
I'd advise against edging/grommets, Aluminet has lots of 'play' on the bias - you may want to bunch it in spots for tension; also, edging makes it bulkier for storage.
It's pretty sturdy stuff, you'll be pleased...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby mrsmoo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am

That's great to know, thank you! Do you use bungee balls straight through the holes in the fabric?

Also, do you use the 70% stuff?
mrsmoo

Postby Token » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Zip ties fo' direct to fabric.

Bungee balls to plastic clips.

As GW said, both work great.

Aluminet is knit and does not run when torn a bit. No moop either.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby mrsmoo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Excellent. I knew the scheisty-mc-scheister salespeople were trying to rip me off! Thanks for your help :-)
mrsmoo

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm

I've been using 50%, this year I'm adding some 70%; deeper shade is always desirable...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby kraskland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 pm

As others said, they will work just fine. I used this product which is very similar and it worked brilliantly.
kraskland

Postby Karma » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:31 am

I'm using Aluminet for the 1st time this year (20' by 28') and I bought those shark bite clips that the 1st poster mentioned. It was an extra 3 week wait to get the thick fabric knitted to the edging so I got unfinished edging (thats what I get for waiting for the last minute).

I was going to put Gorilla tape all along the edging to help stop any potential tears or fraying but y'all think just doubling up the fabric at the clip will be enough ?

How does the material act in our notoriously high wind dust storms ?
I always presumed that there would'nt be alot of pressure / tension on the clips cause the material would'nt parachute like a tarp but rather just let the wind pass thru.

Any extra thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 am

Hemming and grommeting every 12 inches is the best way to deal with any knit shade cloth, esp. if rigging it to rope, cable or other straight-line supports, and it helps the edges from getting stretched out of whack. It does take more lead time from suppliers, and I suppose you can get away with plastic tarp clips for small tarps stretched over odd shapes, just bring twice as many as you think you need and plenty of nylon cord.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby rodiponer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:12 pm

I used the Shark Bite Clips every couple feet, without doubling it up underneath the clips. The aluminet stretched a little but was fine.

Over the first few days the aluminet stretched a bit and started to sag. I think it would do this whether or not you had rope in the edges or grommets. I had to enlarge the shade structure a little to get rid of the sag in the ceiling. Something to think about when staking down your structure-- maybe think about a way to take up some slack later without pounding new stakes in.
rodiponer

Postby Karma » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Well, I was planning to run some cable across the center to catch the droop in the material. I was kinda hoping the would be enough.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Postby rodiponer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I think antidroop cables would work. That is our plan this year.
rodiponer

Return to Shelter & Camping