Fence in theme camps?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Are fences OK to section off a theme camp's space?

Yes, it is your right to shield your space from random wanderers
23
72%
No, the playa should remain open with no barriers
7
22%
Unsure/Don't Care
2
6%
 
Total votes : 32

Fence in theme camps?

Postby Myliatronic » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

Hey there friends :)

Just looking for an opinion on an issue that has come up for our theme camp. We were placed in a very busy section of town (3:00 portal) but are used to camping a bit further back where it is quieter. It is important to us to keep some sense of safety and privacy in our camp space. We plan to have the back half of our camp be a "tent city", sectioned off by a row of small domes and cars parked along the edges of camp.

One of our campmates has suggested using snow fence (trash fence material) in addition to the cars and domes to section off the back half of camp and create a "private yard" for our campers so that random wanderers do not come through our camp and thieves are discouraged from entering our area.

I'm not sure how I feel about it though. It seems to run contrary to the openness and inclusiveness of the playa. At first I rejected the idea outright but I would like to hear some other perspectives. What are your thoughts? Is it ok to put up a barrier to mark a space as "ours" or does it need to remain open to anyone who might pass through? Any input is appreciated.

<3
Mylia
Myliatronic
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:27 am
Location: Denver.CO.USA.Earth.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 am

I'd do it, especially since if yuo are placed there, you will have public interactions. I'd personally want a clearly defined marker of "Oh no...not back here....the fun is out there, sir!"
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:29 am


We're around the corner from you. Been in the 'hood' 5 years, going on 6.

Not only do we do fences, if I see anyone in our "backlot" area I will walk up to them and ask them (a) who are you, (b) what are you doing here, (c) can we have back what you were looking for that doesn't belong to you, and (d) would you kindly remove yourself from our camp and NEVER EVER LET ME SEE YOUR BUTT HERE AGAIN... EVER.

And yes... I do watch. Constantly. So does everyone else in our camp. We've been hit too many times not to. We have a LOT of our camp open to the public, but that which is our private gulag is, well, OUR area. When someone who doesn't belong there is there, it's either because they're totally lost (in which case I'll be .00000034% more friendlier) or they're seeing what they can heist. Almost without exception.

Black Rock City is not some Nirvana - it is a CITY of 50,000+ inhabitants. The demographics are that OF a city now. Would you leave your doors and windows open 24/7/365 in a city that size?
User avatar
Lassen Forge
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Token » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 am

Plenty camps do just that.

Go for it.
User avatar
Token
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Location: Gold Country, CA
Burning Since: 2001

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 am

We don't go all hog fence but we do make it so you aren't going to "accidentally" wander into our private space without having to actively negotiate a barrier of some sort. And after that, it is pretty much like BBS said.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4870
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:38 am

I wouldn't think anything of it if I saw a fenced area, unless it were impeding me from somewhere public like a marked road or public bathrooms. Fences help the disoriented. Do it.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11442
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:46 pm

you should definetly be able to seperate your "public" spaces from your privates
User avatar
lucky420
 
Posts: 5991
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am
Location: Reno, NV
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:59 pm

yup yup, like everyone said- block your private space. BRC isn't a commune.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8623
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I thought that the whole purpose of the Theme Camp was to provide something fun and interactive for all to partake in.

Nothing wrong with making certain areas private, but I think, by definition, theme camps are public spaces.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13217
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby snake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:15 pm

and we use barbed wire too.
(the plastic pretend kind) but it fits our camp theme: apokiliptika
User avatar
snake
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: reno, terminal city, apokiliptika

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

I like this stuff:

Image

If this is over budget I highly recommend something called Gaucho Barbed Wire with laser sharpened points. It's always been my top wire on barbed wire fences for years. It works great on making deer jumping the fence into sliced venison to go.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm

jkisha wrote:I thought that the whole purpose of the Theme Camp was to provide something fun and interactive for all to partake in.
Nothing wrong with making certain areas private, but I think, by definition, theme camps are public spaces.


A theme camp should provide "interactive", but that doesn't mean every square inch of the space needs to be open to the public. The people who build & work the camp deserve a place to rest & sleep just like everyone else in BRC does, and to expect the place where the tents & RV are for the camp to be open for anyone to walk through (and loot... er...."borrow from"..) is kinda silly.

The only other option if the whole theme camp has to be interactive would be "sleeper" camps elsewhere in BRC, and the Bmorg is opposed to that, and the removal of theme camp members from the actual camp would cut down on how interactive it could be.

Private areas in theme camps should be welcome & accepted, just like they are everywhere else in BRC.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8623
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Playa Foot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

If someone wishes to seperate a theme camp from the rest of Black Rock City that is fine. We should respect their right to privacy. We should enhance their privacy. For camps that desire their privacy why not place them in a special area somewhere on the outer rings of the city and leave the inner rings to those who wish to participate.
Playa Foot
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:26 am

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Playa Foot, see Eric's comment above. The theme camps DO offer space for the general population of the city but that does not mean that they can rifle through the tents, use our personal water, decide that our shower looks convenient, steal shit, etc.

You want to sit and chill and maybe have a cool drink and listen to the Fabulous Electric Chicken Fuckers in a space where you don't have to worry about a hand coming out of the couch? Not a problem.

But you don't get to crash in our tents or piss next to them or steal our food/drink.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4870
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
We're around the corner from you. Been in the 'hood' 5 years, going on 6.

Not only do we do fences, if I see anyone in our "backlot" area I will walk up to them and ask them (a) who are you, (b) what are you doing here, (c) can we have back what you were looking for that doesn't belong to you, and (d) would you kindly remove yourself from our camp and NEVER EVER LET ME SEE YOUR BUTT HERE AGAIN... EVER.

And yes... I do watch. Constantly. So does everyone else in our camp. We've been hit too many times not to. We have a LOT of our camp open to the public, but that which is our private gulag is, well, OUR area. When someone who doesn't belong there is there, it's either because they're totally lost (in which case I'll be .00000034% more friendlier) or they're seeing what they can heist. Almost without exception.

Black Rock City is not some Nirvana - it is a CITY of 50,000+ inhabitants. The demographics are that OF a city now. Would you leave your doors and windows open 24/7/365 in a city that size?


Yep.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Kinetic V wrote:I like this stuff:

Image

If this is over budget I highly recommend something called Gaucho Barbed Wire with laser sharpened points. It's always been my top wire on barbed wire fences for years. It works great on making deer jumping the fence into sliced venison to go.



I have a bunch of that, in tactical packs........run and deploy......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27689
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Eric wrote:
jkisha wrote:I thought that the whole purpose of the Theme Camp was to provide something fun and interactive for all to partake in.
Nothing wrong with making certain areas private, but I think, by definition, theme camps are public spaces.


A theme camp should provide "interactive", but that doesn't mean every square inch of the space needs to be open to the public. The people who build & work the camp deserve a place to rest & sleep just like everyone else in BRC does, and to expect the place where the tents & RV are for the camp to be open for anyone to walk through (and loot... er...."borrow from"..) is kinda silly.

The only other option if the whole theme camp has to be interactive would be "sleeper" camps elsewhere in BRC, and the Bmorg is opposed to that, and the removal of theme camp members from the actual camp would cut down on how interactive it could be.

Private areas in theme camps should be welcome & accepted, just like they are everywhere else in BRC.


I sort of thought that's what I said.

But the poll sort of struck me as the person asking if a theme camp should be a private (closed) camp; so maybe my tone reflected that.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13217
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Gwydeon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:27 am

If the camp I'm with doesn't have a privacy fence/line already I'll be making one. I'm all about visitors, but as has been said there needs to be an obvious separation from camp front where the party is and camp rear where the provisions and personal space is.

No group of people that large (by half) can exist without those that would take without permission, and rummage without warrant. If I see some one puttering around where they don't belong I'll be a very upset burner.
)°( Gwydeon )°( - Getting married on playa at Rights of Passage.
Gwydeon
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:37 am

Also, it is best to provide a place to puke. Someone is going to puke so it is best to have a place for that. Better to puke in the puke place than have someone wandering around and puking wherever. A big sign like this

Image

with a large bucket under it is a good idea.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4870
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 am

So are these fences secure enough to keep the theme camp members inside?

Seems like that would be a plus for some camps.


Orange fencing sounds a bit déclassé.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 am

Hehe, yeah. Drama Camp. Been there, done that. I remember when I told someone I was going to go to center camp to get some coffee, someone told me "you better check with (camp boss) first. I said "huh? I am not asking for permission, I am telling you where I am going" and then I got bitched out for "sassing". Most interesting camp I was ever in. Never went back.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4870
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 am

For some reason I can't post pictures on here of late. Every time I do it gets jacked up. I was going to recommend good old concertina wire for fencing. Visualize Leavenworth...or San Quentin. You know, that kind of fencing.

(That being said the orange trash fence is what has worked best for me, but definitely put up the fence unless you want the back camp to look like Grand Central Station at 5 pm.)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

razormesh

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 am

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 am

geekster wrote:Hehe, yeah. Drama Camp. Been there, done that. I remember when I told someone I was going to go to center camp to get some coffee, someone told me "you better check with (camp boss) first. I said "huh? I am not asking for permission, I am telling you where I am going" and then I got bitched out for "sassing". Most interesting camp I was ever in. Never went back.


Was that Camp With Mom Camp?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17891
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:46 am

I remember that camp.

Welcome to Bummerland!

May we direct your attention to your own inadequacies?

Be sure to visit your own mother, in simulated fibreglas and neon fifty feet high!
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:43 am

"Better ask the camp boss"


HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH



/deep breath


AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA



Iditoth
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:10 am

AntiM wrote:
geekster wrote:Hehe, yeah. Drama Camp. Been there, done that. I remember when I told someone I was going to go to center camp to get some coffee, someone told me "you better check with (camp boss) first. I said "huh? I am not asking for permission, I am telling you where I am going" and then I got bitched out for "sassing". Most interesting camp I was ever in. Never went back.


Was that Camp With Mom Camp?

Oh, Camp with Mom Camp is okay. This was Camp with Psycho, Overcontrolling Mom Camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote:
geekster wrote:Hehe, yeah. Drama Camp. Been there, done that. I remember when I told someone I was going to go to center camp to get some coffee, someone told me "you better check with (camp boss) first. I said "huh? I am not asking for permission, I am telling you where I am going" and then I got bitched out for "sassing". Most interesting camp I was ever in. Never went back.


Was that Camp With Mom Camp?

Oh, Camp with Mom Camp is okay. This was Camp with Psycho, Overcontrolling Mom Camp.


Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27689
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: razormesh

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:13 pm

gyre wrote:Image


Turn wire cutters sideways. Snip the horizontal bar. Snip a few more. Bend the horizontals back a bit, snip the verticals.

not that I've ever done anything like this ever.....
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8623
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: razormesh

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Eric wrote:
gyre wrote:Image


Turn wire cutters sideways. Snip the horizontal bar. Snip a few more. Bend the horizontals back a bit, snip the verticals.

not that I've ever done anything like this ever.....

Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27689
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests