RV laws in California and Nevada re: capacity

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RV laws in California and Nevada re: capacity

Postby Popobumm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm

For some reason, it is very difficult for me to find specific RV laws online...even on the DMV website. Closest things I've found are RVsafely.com and www.rvhelpdesk.com/seatbelt-laws.html

Most sites just say 'laws are different everywhere, so be sure to follow them', but don't say exactly what they are. The question I'm specifically concerned about is how many people are we allowed to transport in our RV?

The person we're renting the RV from (private) told us they are considered buses in CA, so we all don't have to wear seatbelts, but for some reason I feel like we would still get in trouble if we had 'too many' people. In my case, our RV is 31' and we plan to transport up to 10 people from BRC to LA.
Any resources or experiences with LE would help, thanks!
Popobumm

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Try the Department of Transportation. And the federal level as well as ndot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 pm

I would also look into the RV's manual in regards to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. They are rated for safety at a not to exceed weight limit. 10 people, lots of stuff to pack also. Would definitely effect your fuel consumption.
Nitevenus

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:14 pm

You're not required to go through the scales...so unless the driver is reckless, you should be fine. A passenger endorsement only applies to class A and class B.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Should be fine unless you're all 300 lbs.+, then with all the gear you could be pushing it!
Jackass

Postby Cooky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm not sure what the law is for this situation although I think a practical assessment would be "is there a place for each person to sit?" Driver seat, passenger seat, dinette, couch etc. do those add up to 10 chairs?

And, perhaps you could call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and ask.
Cooky

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't know, and I haven't seen from any good sources but I was told by "some guy" that you have to have a seatbelt for each passenger (even though they don't have to be wearing it). In older ones that don't have seatbelts they have to have a seat. Could be 100% wrong though but it sounded reasonable. I would think there would be some limit.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby phil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm

This download's California's RV Handbook:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
See page 26 (as numbered on the manual page), "Safety Belts."

This guy claims to be a retired CHP, and he says seat belts must be worn in a moving RV:
http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jun/05 ... fth-wheel/

[quote]This conversation moved on to people riding in a motor home in which there are seat belted positions. Their question was, “Is it lawful for a passenger to leave their seat belted position and use the bathroom while the vehicle is in motion?â€
phil

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm

That's weak, as kids we'd go on trips with other family that had an rv and would run amok. Safety third! Just drive like a normal human being.
Jackass

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Jackass wrote:That's weak, as kids we'd go on trips with other family that had an rv and would run amok. Safety third! Just drive like a normal human being.

Yeah, but back then you parents were allowed to drink martinis as they drove. And Vlad the Impaler was still running his kick-ass day spa. History does not suggest that this will still be the case.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Re: RV laws in California and Nevada re: capacity

Postby ibdave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Popobumm wrote: In my case, our RV is 31' and we plan to transport up to 10 people from BRC to LA.
Any resources or experiences with LE would help, thanks!

You my friend should not have 10 adults in that rig.. nope, noway no-how.

me: Rving 20 years, my rv is a 34footer with a CCC (cargo carrying capacity) rating of 1700lbs after a full gas tank, fresh water and 4 ppl. Lets see, your going to the burn? hum with just 4 ppl and gear, you over weight already. yup, over weight. I don't think i need to go on, you see where it's going...

Now what may happen? hum tire blow outs from being overloaded.
get a little wiggle in the back and you'll find your self in a world of hurt real fast.
cops, keeping 10 ppl in a rv under the wraps is hard, good luck with that. speeding is always a issue with renter and every year we see then with blue lights and some case's all the gear on the side of the road as the cops make your life hell for a few hours. hey I don't make the rules, just telling ya what we see.

but seeing that I'm missing this burn for the 1st time in 12 years, I don't have to worry. and yes I'm grumpy today, but you asked. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby bburrito » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Not sure about Nevada, but in California it is legal as long as your vehicle is registered as an RV. I drive a Sportsmobile van which is registered as a class B motorhome. Seatbelts are there but are not required for passengers in the rear of the van and they are able to drink freely. A lot of people will say that it is illegal to have an open container in a "motor vehicle." BUT, a motor home is not a motor vehicle, it is a motor home. Different laws for different classes of vehicles. That being said, if a driver of said motor home gets a DUI driving the motorhome, its an even bigger deal than getting a DUI in a motor vehicle (car). And rightly so: 3 ton car vs a 10 ton motorhome makes a pretty big difference in an accident.

As for other states, you have to check. Each state is different. States rights and all.
bburrito

Postby Popobumm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Just for clarification, we also have a 16' Penske truck carrying most if not all of our supplies, so the RV will be carrying mainly bodies and the water in the fresh water tank (40 gallons I believe).

I tried calling the DMV today and unfortunately they just told me I need to call the CHP, which I will do tomorrow (sorry only have enough patience to be on hold for 30+ mins once a day). Will keep you all updated...
Popobumm

Postby Token » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 pm

I hope you got an extra 100+ gallons of water in the Penske.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Popobumm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Token wrote:I hope you got an extra 100+ gallons of water in the Penske.

We'll actually be bringing a ton of water. Literally, 256 gallons = 2048 lbs :)
Good thing the truck is rated at 4300 lbs CCC!
Popobumm

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:23 am

gyre

Postby ibdave » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm

gyre wrote:Dave, that capacity sounds really low.
I've had sports cars with that much capacity.

I think all RV (class A and B) have to have the chassis info posted in the living are. Mine is in the inside door of the closet. You have to remember that most mid-range RVs are built really close to the chassis ratings. #1700-2200 seems to be a common range for CCC ratings. This is after a wet weight has been taken. Even then right out of the RV factory some corners are overloaded and if you don't weigh all four corners to check, it will not be the best handling rig. 8) 8) 8)

don't get me started on RV awnings..... :shock: :roll: 8)

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm

My trailer is good for more than 50% over the dry weight.
And probably a conservative rating.
gyre

Postby Popobumm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Just spoke with the CHP, and apparently while the RV is moving, everyone must have a seatbelt.

If an RV doesn't have seatbelts? Then we can't be inside while it's moving. No one can be sleeping or relaxing in a moving motorhome unless they have a seatbelt.

Bummer.

However, I get the feeling that it's not that strictly enforced considering how difficult it is to find literature and how it seemed no one knew the exact answer. Even the owner of the RV that we're renting told us it didn't matter since they were considered buses.

Thought you all would like to know, safe driving and I'll see you on the Playa :)
Popobumm

Postby traumadude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 am

well i believe you have to have a special passenger endorsement to haul more then 8 total in any vechical so a standard license will not allow you to have more then 8 including the driver

so that i see as a big problem enless you have a driver with that endorsement
traumadude

Postby swampdog » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 am

It'd be awfully hard to know how many people an RV is carrying without stopping them to check. If you get stopped for something (even something like "suspicion of being suspicious") then overloading/lack of seat belts might get you a little extra attention from and/or fines from the LEO
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 pm

If there's an accident, you run the risk of the police or another driver mentioning the number of people in the rv.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 pm

gyre,
Thanks for all the good links.
Just got an RV. Its 34 footer, and I'm reading everything I can find. Kinda why I haven't been hitting the ePlaya lately.
Thanks again!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Congratulations, Illy Dilly.
Glad to be of some help.

If you haven't already seen them, I recommend Trailer Life's set of books on RVs.
Pretty much all of them are useful, though some are heavy on travel advice and you don't need those, and the 10 Minute Tech 3 was too light for my taste, but I haven't seen the new version.
They range from intro to hard core.
I think I found the RV Handbook particularly useful, but can't get to my books right now.

I think they have more books than are listed.

http://www.trailerlife.com/
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=823951
http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/Tra ... tegoryid=1
gyre

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Yeah, wish I had gotten after it a bit sooner.
We depart for the desert in less than 26 days. Between all the other last preparations and figuring out the basics of RV I don't have much time to bone up on all the super hardcore specifics.
We just bought it a week ago. We have a guy coming out tomorrow night to show me how all the plumbing works and how to operate it. Then we're taking to an RV place to have the breaks and under side looked at. My buddies vehicle lift isn't big enough. Well actually his lift is strong enough, his garage just isn't long enough, ya know.
Thanks again for the links!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby ibdave » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:59 pm

stop by a good tire shop and have them read the date code on the tires.

I always buy new tires every 4 years. I don't want that blow out to happen..

8) 8) 8)

ibdave

Postby Starman97 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Make sure you have the right air pressure for your vehicle weight in those tires. Fronts can be different than back. Check them at your first gas stop.
Bring your own tire gauge. Even brand new tires can blow if the pressure is too low or too high.
Starman97

Return to Shelter & Camping