Questions re: set-up

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Questions re: set-up

Postby joya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:58 am

Alright... thick in the planning stages, and was hoping to get some feedback.

Our 2-person camp set up is looking to be like this:

That's a NorthPole Party Shade tent (thanks to eplayans for the recommendation on these)... a rented RAV 4 (or similar, depending on what Hertz has for me)... a Sierra Sirrus 3 tent... and I'm thinking of rigging a tarp to the roof rack to create a shady/cover for the tent.

My questions are:

Would you suggest a ground cover for under the North Pole shade structure? If so, what do you suggest? Not carpet, not astro-turf... I'm thinking some sort of tarp, but not sure what kind would be best and how to secure it.

Also... do you think the additional tarp rig-up from the vehicle is overkill? Maybe we should just put our tent under the NorthPole structure?

Additional questions I have are: where to keep the water -- in the vehicle? (hot sun + plastic = death???) And where to keep the cooler -- I was thinking sandwiched between the tent and the vehicle under the rigged shade structure.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Burning Man: I'm over it.
joya

Postby Sail Man » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 am

Looking at a north pole party shade online, its 30x30, seems big enough to put your tent under and still have room. I'd skip the second tarp set up but still plan on it as a back-up to your primary shelter.

carpet's fine, not shag and you can also tape the edges to prevent unravelling.

I wouldn't do a poly tarp, probably get hot to walk on, if going the tarp route use a canvas one, get some acrylic paints and playafy it before the burn.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby sputnik » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am

For ground cover you could use a painter's dropcloth (the canvas kind). They're relatively cheap and durable. I agree with sailman that the big shade will be more than enough room for your tent and associated things. Set it up off playa if you can so that you get a feel for how it can all work together.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 am

billboard vinyl for ground cover.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Re: Questions re: set-up

Postby Malachi Constant » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 am

joya wrote:Also... do you think the additional tarp rig-up from the vehicle is overkill? Maybe we should just put our tent under the NorthPole structure?

The first year we brought the NorthPole structure we fit two tents in there and still had some room left over for a common area. So yeah, unless you were hoping to turn the whole shade structure into a dance club and can't waste any space, I'd say you'll be fine.

But, just in case you do go the NorthPole dance club route, please tell your guests that the center support pole can not in fact be safely used as a prop during striptease routines.
Malachi Constant

Postby phil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 am

> Set it up off playa if you can so that you get a feel for how it can all
> work together.

Key advice. Do this, and all your questions will be answered.
phil

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 am

Just make sure you bring plenty of re-bar for stakes! That cover could turn into a real niiiiiiiiiice kite quickly..
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby teardropper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

It's funny how big the North Pole seems, 30x30, but when you set it up it is not cavernous. One tent and gear and sitting area would work. I set mine up for 3 days on the playa and after you set it up once it is easy. Two people. Never had it in high winds. I got 18" pieces of rebar heat bent at a 90Ëš angle so they can go all the way in, about 16 1/2". Not worried too much about it flying away. Your tent. Don't know what that is, I would take MY backpacking tent (except for the dust) but it is winter mountain rated. People say back it up. Sounds excessive, but look closely at what you have, then decide what you'd do if it broke. And I didn't like carpet much. Gets completely packed with playa and is heavy and a mess to drag back off. As mentioned, canvas tarp would be better, probably. We used a large recycled soda bottle rug and that did well. But you're on it...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:29 pm

I got furniture moving blankets/pads to use as a ground cover under my north pole shade tent...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:57 pm

We use a combination of groundcovers. Nail them to the playa with those big ass landscaper nails. Bring a small broom. Sounds silly to sweep away the dust, but it makes a difference.

You do not want your cooler sitting directly on the playa, a small pallet or piece of carper is useful under it. Keep it in the shade if you can. Throw something over it, like a blanket or coat. If you're ambitious make a cooler cozy cover.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby diamondmoth » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm

aw man, love that diagram! We' have the same thing except our shade structure is a super large tarp that covers the whole jeep and a half monkey hut like rib cage that comes off the top of the jeep.

We use astro turf but you could use painter cloth drop, We're not planning on using anything for under the NPPSS
diamondmoth

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 pm

sputnik wrote:For ground cover you could use a painter's dropcloth (the canvas kind). They're relatively cheap and durable. I agree with sailman that the big shade will be more than enough room for your tent and associated things. Set it up off playa if you can so that you get a feel for how it can all work together.

Do most painter drop cloths have grommets? How do you secure that?
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Astro turf moops like there's no tomorrow.
You can always use a grommet kit on un-grommeted tarps.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping