Compact Monkey Hut?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Compact Monkey Hut?

Postby skinnay » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm looking to build a small monkey hut (no need to stand) to cover my compact springbar tent. I still am completely stuck on how much pvc to get, what diameter, and how many "spines" to give it. It would be best if I could keep the max length of any pipe to 4'. Anyone have tips for building this? I'm totally stuck and need to buy the parts and build a mock up asap =(
skinnay

Re: Compact Monkey Hut?

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 am

skinnay wrote:I'm looking to build a small monkey hut (no need to stand) to cover my compact springbar tent. I still am completely stuck on how much pvc to get, what diameter, and how many "spines" to give it. It would be best if I could keep the max length of any pipe to 4'. Anyone have tips for building this? I'm totally stuck and need to buy the parts and build a mock up asap =(

I had good luck cutting the long 10 foot poles into 5 foot pieces. We used one additional piece of the larger sized tubing cut into 2 foot lengths to couple the legs again once we got there. I put a screw in the center of these couplers to keep them from sliding all the way down the bottom leg half.

I'm sure you could lop a foot off of all of the 5 foot sections and still have a functioning shelter. You would probably want to keep the feet a bit closer together to keep the tension on the structure. The shade cloth size would be different by 4 feet in width and 2 feet in length (so you need a 16 foot x 8 foot shade cloth/tarp/whatever for the standard model ( I think? ))

I don't know how tall the compact springbar is, but if you have your own vehicle it may be easier to attach your shade cloth to your car on one end, and the ground on the other. Especially if you don't care about standing.

The monkey hut was pretty bulky once cut up like this just FYI. Took up a lot of room in our neon (but we did have 5 foot lengths and an oversized hut)
Bluemandrew

Postby Token » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:39 am

Since we don't know the footprint and hight of your tent we cant do this for you.

Why not figure it out yourself since you have the gear right there in front of you?

Here are some design rules:

Loading the PVC ribs in an arc ~ 1/4 circle gives the structure strength.

You must use at least three ribs to obtain stability in all directions.

Hight of the hut will be 2/п*L or a little less than 2/3 of your rib pipe length.

Width will be double the hight.

/design rules

If you are going small, you may want to consider using 3/4 & 1 inch pipe instead of the 1 & 1 1/4 combination.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Return to Shelter & Camping