Pimp Yer RV

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Pimp Yer RV

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 pm

This just came across on Jack Rabbit Speaks: Brett Spivey offers tips on how to redecorate your RV for the playa: http://www.instructables.com/id/Redecor ... Rental-RV/

Wonderful idea for those so inclined...and I might be one.

Question: he shows colored LED lights as part of his decorating plan. How does one power them? All the electrical outlets in my rig are powered only when the generator is running, and I don't want that thing on at night.

Is there a way to tap into the house batteries?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Get solar LEDs? Or simple battery operated strings? All of ours are either, we don't have any which we plug in. Oh, we had a couple designed for plugging in, but we skip the transformer and run them off the "show me" battery pack in the box!
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Trishntek » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 am

It is very likely he is using a power inverter which changes 12VDC into 110VAC.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby phil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:02 am

You can buy LEDs that run off batteries or 110VAC. Coleman sells a 6-foot string that runs on AAs for 20 hours. This place
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/chrisligandl.html
sells LED strings that run on batteries or that plug in. (Lots of artsy stuff in addition to strings.)

Google
LED string lights
and see what all turns up.
phil

Postby kman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am

Geez, do we need to point out that solar-powered LED-based lights are readily available as well? No need to tap the main batteries or genny. :)
kman

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:19 am

Yep...already got the battery powered LEDs...was wondering if there was a way that he was tapping into the house batteries.

Thanks all!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby kman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 am

dragonpilot wrote:Yep...already got the battery powered LEDs...was wondering if there was a way that he was tapping into the house batteries.

Thanks all!

There's always a way to tap into the house batteries if you're willing to mount a jack and wire it yourself, else any car stereo place can easily add in a jack off any battery you'd like.
kman

Postby phil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 am

> was wondering if there was a way that he was tapping into
> the house batteries.

I guess the only way to know is to ask him, but I suspect most RVs have a power panel so that you can choose whether to run off shore power or internal batteries.
phil

Return to Shelter & Camping