Hinged grommet fasteners

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hinged grommet fasteners

Postby percussivepaul » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 am

Anyone used these before?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/127727/ ... -Fasteners

I'm planning to get a 7 x 10 tarp, some poles, and some rope to make a simple shade for my one-person camp. Gemplers has the best price for Aluminet I've seen so far, but instead of reinforced brass grommets they offer these plastic snap ons. They claim they're very strong and durable but I don't know if it's strong enough. Anyone used them before?
percussivepaul

Postby Token » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 am

Yep, works fine when applied every foot or so.

Key is to get them pressed real tight so all the little clips bite. Channel Lock pliers or vise grip clamps work great for that.

Take your time to clip them on for best results.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 am

Oh, and this are for shade cloth or aluminet only. They won't work with a regular cheap tarp. It will tear the tarp and fail in the wind.
Token

Postby percussivepaul » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks Token.

If the aluminet I buy is not already taped around the edges, do I need to tape it to use these grommets to prevent ripping, or would it be ok? Would duct tape work or should I buy tape from the aluminet supplier?
percussivepaul

Postby Token » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 am

Aluminet is knit and does not run or fray. If you feel like it you can fold it over an inch or two then clip it.
Token

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 am

In years past, Gothic Arch Greenhouses had an excellent price. For a fee they sew medium weight nylon webbing wrapping around both sides of the edge with a grommet I think every 2 ft. I would grommet every foot for flexibility.

When I have gotten 14 foot wide grommeted Aluminet shades, they have seamed two 7 footers side by side. Would prefer no seam. So you might query on that detail. If you hose the dust off your shade cloth at home, the bigger the piece, the harder it is to find a place to dry it. Raw off the roll 7 foot wide Aluminet is great for wrapping domes in strips.

I know Gothic Arch gets backed up with BM orders, they are responsive and customer oriented, but ordering early is better and they have realistic cut off dates for orders in time for BM

Never used the clips, but the fabric is pretty tough. It can capture quite a wind load above say 20x20'
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Hinged grommet fasteners

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am

percussivepaul wrote:
I'm planning to get a 7 x 10 tarp, some poles, and some rope to make a simple shade for my one-person camp.

What, no one else noticed the size of his planned "shade"?

If all you are going to have is a 7 x 10, you would be better off just draping it over your tent or vehicle (whichever you are gonna sleep in) and hanging out in your neighbors shade during the day.

or just wrap it around you like a blanket
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Shelter & Camping