Playa-friendly RVs

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Playa-friendly RVs

Postby baconqurlyq » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi there, new burner here. Looking forward to seeing you all on the Playa this year.

I tried doing a search for a similar thread but didn't find it, so very sorry if this is a duplicate. I had a question about a specific camper rental place that is closer to where we're located at home, and the prices are right. However, I wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with them.

Happy Camper Rentals at http://happycamperrentals.com seems like they have some mighty fine deals, but wanted to see if anyone had a negative experience with them, or if anyone hasn't done business with them, if they have any advice for a newbie.
baconqurlyq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Don't know that particular dealership, but one thing is for certain: There is no upside telling them you are taking it to Burning Man. What I told our place is that we were taking it to the Yerington Rodeo, a gay rodeo south of Reno by, what a coincidence, about the same distance that Gerlach is to the north. When we told them we were taking it to a gay rodeo, they stopped asking questions. They did say we were forbidden from taking it to Burning Man. So my advice is this: If you're going to lie to them, make sure it's a whopper.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 pm

you can also say you're going to the Rib Cook-Off in Sparks Nv
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah...we tell the big fib as well, and CLEAN THE HELL OUTTA THAT RIG when we get back.

We also mention that we're going thru the high desert and got caught in a dust storm, hence the dirty AC filter or other nooks and crannies we miss cleaning.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby baconqurlyq » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Either way, we're planning on cleaning the heck out of the RV and replacing the A/C filter. Just a matter of manners to the nice folks renting us the rig.
baconqurlyq

Postby Token » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 pm

This is why I used to rent from El Monte in LA. I can go in and and not lie about anything. They are burner friendly.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm

A couple of years ago everyone was trembling in their boots because all the rvs were going to get gps in them and there were guys from all the big companies taking down license plate numbers anyway.
How did we overcome that?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Token wrote:This is why I used to rent from El Monte in LA. I can go in and and not lie about anything. They are burner friendly.

Absolutely. Best place to rent an RV from, no doubt.

http://www.elmonterv.com/

They even have a special package for super-rich burners! (not me, sadly)

http://www.elmonterv.com/cy-8.aspx
kman

Postby Token » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm

They keep the $500 deposit then pay a crew of illegal immigrants $40 to detail and clean the rig. Simple economics and greed always win.

The big companies that own the rigs don't care. They are fleet vehicles.

The small mom n pop shops often rent rigs that others own but consign for rental to pay for the RV. They do care.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Love this thread!

Ciao! :D

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:20 pm

kman wrote:They even have a special package for super-rich burners! (not me, sadly)

http://www.elmonterv.com/cy-8.aspx

Me neither! That's insane! I wonder how much they charge??

Ha Token, I'd never even thought of hiring day laborers to clean your vehicle. The City of Reno doesn't let them hang out at Home Despot, they all hang out on Galletti Way in front of the state asylum (On the north side of the Grand Sierra Hotel)...if anyone is looking. LOL!
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Shelter & Camping