How do one of these old style canvas tents stay up?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

How do one of these old style canvas tents stay up?

Postby Talynt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 am

I've heard so much about the springbar canvas tents, that I'm looking for something similar. I've never used one of these external frame canvas deals before, and I'm curious if they're all built to withstand wind. some of these look like they don't have much tension to keep them up. Take a look at this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLEMAN-TENT-AMERICAN-HERITAGE-VINTAGE-ALL-CANVAS-/200488253081?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eae07f699#ht_500wt_1154

In your expert opinion, would this tent (or one like it), properly staked, stand up to the winds of BRC?
Talynt

Postby justfred » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm

I had one like this, got it for $20 on Craigslist!

I hate nylon tents - they usually end up just filtering out the large particles so the inside is filled with fine misty dust. The canvas is cooler (for a while, in the morning; better when it's got a shade over it), and warmer at night.

This one held up pretty well for about four years; last year I was out in the open and a big mean old wind came along and ripped one of the corners, which then caused one of the poles to bend. Most likely, several years of washing with vinegar and previous playabuse contributed to the failure.

Now I want a Springbar, am saving up.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby Rice » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:53 pm

I suspect it would do fine on the playa (you might want to add a couple guy lines to the sides just to make sure it stays where you set it up.

I would want to know the condition of the pole mechanism and canvas. If it is in prime, it should survive fine.

as usual, that is my observation, experiences may be different in your reality.

TTFN.,

Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:06 pm

The springbar is a totally different kind of tent.
gyre

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Whatever the tent, it's the zippers that fuck you up.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Shelter & Camping