How does this look for a Shade Structure?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

How does this look for a Shade Structure?

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

10ft by 10ft square
3/4" PVC pipe, or 1"
Tees at intersections, not glued, maybe some light glue
2ft rebar, 1/2 pounded in Playa or 3ft rebar for the 1.5ft riser version
bed sheets with zip ties holding them on
Joshatdot

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Postby misfit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:40 pm

had the same structure many years ago, "the pink pig". 25x12x10. learned very quikly that she needed to be secured to the playa. one afternoon of moderate winds almost flipped the structure on its side. also the winds will try to break your connections, so duct tape was our best friend....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 pm

yup. duct tape your connections ( at least ). & sheets + zip ties.. not so sure about that one, your sheets will "shread" and NOT the good kind. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 pm

I would suggest checking out the Monkey Hut for a playa tested version of what it looks like you're trying to achieve.

Always remember- the winds can hit 70mph+ and your shade structure needs to survive that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I am thinking of maybe on the 'legs' that sit on the Playa, drilling out some holes to hammer the rebar in at a slight angle to help secure it down. Or some how bending the rebar to a 7 like shape and poking the rebar thru a hole on the PVC.

I would like to use Shade Cloth, but I think it would get expensive, while I can goto Goodwill and buy some sheets or summat. I might look into the rivet rings to add to the sheets. Or maybe just find a 20'x10' tarp.
Joshatdot

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Eric wrote:I would suggest checking out the Monkey Hut for a playa tested version of what it looks like you're trying to achieve.

Always remember- the winds can hit 70mph+ and your shade structure needs to survive that.

Yes that is waht I am wanting to make! They used 5ft sections for the arch/top, so there would be a 3rd/middle support...that's a better idea.

I would add bottom edge pipes too, for more securing/less flapping.

Hmmm..maybe make it 15ft long and 10ft wide, the extra 5ft could cover most of my tent so that would stay cool too.
Joshatdot

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Would cutting U's into the fabric help with the structure staying down in a windstorm since the wind would be able to travel through it?

Just curious.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Joshatdot wrote:I would like to use Shade Cloth, but I think it would get expensive, while I can goto Goodwill and buy some sheets or summat. I might look into the rivet rings to add to the sheets. Or maybe just find a 20'x10' tarp.

The summat that I would recommend would be fabric shower curtains, which already have a row of grommets included along one edge. I'd also recommend looking at the edge that already has the grommets. They have folded over the fabric and sewn it down to add extra strength the the intersection of grommet and fabric. So, do the same on the other edges when you add your grommets.

FaeTora wrote:Would cutting U's into the fabric help with the structure staying down in a windstorm since the wind would be able to travel through it?

Just curious.

I wouldn't recommend doing that because certain types of fabric will just continue to rip from the ends of the cuts you make. If you were going to do anything like that you'd want to sew on extra patches of fabric to reinforce the area and then make the cuts within those patches. But fabric can breathe a little bit; usually you see those u-cuts in something like a vinyl banner. My shade last year was an adapted carport with a vinyl roof and cloth shower curtains & sheets for the "walls"... the cloth was fine and breathed and flexed with the windstorms no problem... the vinyl roof was definitely the most dangerous aspect of the structure as far as being something that looked like it wanted to rip the whole thing out of the ground and take off. It did start to tear apart the structure but I was able to tighten down my ropes, and further reinforce all the joints with gaffer's tape (as strong as duct tape but leaves none of the nasty adhesive residue when it comes time to pull it off).
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 pm

FaeTora wrote:Would cutting U's into the fabric help with the structure staying down in a windstorm since the wind would be able to travel through it?

Just curious.

It would, but would also make lil sun patches in the shade. edit: yeah the ripping, I think Ima gona go for a 20'x10' HD tarp, seems fairly cheep & EZ'est to make do.

On rebar length, what is best for this? 2ft, 3ft?
Joshatdot

Postby Miles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:56 pm

we used a very similar design last year, it was great.

As long as you slip the feet over a 2' rebar buried halfway, the tension of the design will keep the frame very snug.

I'd really recommend something sturdier than bedsheets though...

*edit*

Ditch the risers and you dont need a pipe along the bottom really either.

I think with your current design theres risk that the top section disconnects from the risers in a wind gust.
Miles

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Have you tried this out at the beach or an open windy field?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Joshatdot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Miles & Bob: I am going to build the Monkey Hut version, no I have not tried it yet.

Miles: I am going to use a 20x10 heavy tarp, and I was thinking the pipe on the bottom would be good for strapping down the tarp better, and possible anchors for U shaped rebar.
Joshatdot

Secure shade structure

Postby yumba junkie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Sounds good so far, just remember to tie it down to more rebar pounded in about 5 feet away on the corners and in the middle (so 6 guy lines and stakes). Use a truckers hitch knot (look it up) this lets you tighten down the guy lines super tight. Use good rope that won't slip (don't use cheap plastic "clothes line" type")Metal grommets are a good idea, keeps the tarp from ripping and unraveling. Extremely important to set it up in advance to figure out the design before you get to the event.
Great to see you planning ahead, this is the diff between a great time and a disaster. :D
Luxury is the enemy of observation.
yumba junkie

Postby haolegolucky » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Eh, just for for a monkeyhut.

Its playa tested and approved. I've used mine for three years straight and had NO issues with it.

You almost have the same design anyways. My MH has a floor plan of 12x10 with the ten foot section being the length and twelve being the width. I can stand up in it and I am 6' even.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby babysnakes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 pm

We had the same design (just double long) my first and second year.

I would recommend using a fabric that is air-permeable. Letting breeze go through is key. I recommend Garden Shade Cloth from Home Depot. It's not the cheapest but it's way cheaper than camo netting and works well.

BUT I would say you need more than Duct tape. Thinking back to my first year I can't remember doing that much exploring during the day time. That's because we spent a couple hours every day re-taping our connection holes. Not the best use of time.

Get a grommeter and pre-grommet. Time off playa on that shit means more time on playa for fun.
babysnakes

Postby Jackass » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience building larger (taller) versions of the monkey hut??? I was hoping to make one that covered my truck and tent trailer (bout 8ft high roof). Anyone?, please chime in.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby skinnay » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Im thinking of building a monkey hut with 6ft pieces of pvc but with an extra middle beam. Anyone see a problem with this? I am shipping this out from NYC and the 10ft pipes might be a problem.

Code: Select all
---+--+---
   |  |
---+--+---
   |  |
---+--+---

Here's my ascii rendition if it helps =]
skinnay

Postby kman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:50 pm

skinnay wrote:Im thinking of building a monkey hut with 6ft pieces of pvc but with an extra middle beam. Anyone see a problem with this? I am shipping this out from NYC and the 10ft pipes might be a problem.

Code: Select all
---+--+---
   |  |
---+--+---
   |  |
---+--+---

Here's my ascii rendition if it helps =]

Will the shorter segments bend enough?
kman

Postby skinnay » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 pm

kman wrote:Will the shorter segments bend enough?

No idea :)

Perhaps I should get thinner tubing to account for this?
skinnay

Postby sputnik » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Build it in NYC, put it on a trailer, drive trailer on the freeway. If it survives the drive for 30 minutes at 60mph you're good to go.

I'm serious.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby kman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

skinnay wrote:
kman wrote:Will the shorter segments bend enough?

No idea :)

Perhaps I should get thinner tubing to account for this?

Thinner tubing will likely bend TOO much and won't be strong enough to survive the winds.

You could test the bend-ability pretty easily (albeit at a small cost) by picking up just one "rib" worth of poles in each size, and compare bendyness. If you try to bend the shorter poles into the expected configuration and they snap, you know the answer! :shock:
kman

Postby jlaux42 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Skinnay, I used an adapted Monkey Hut design last year with all the pipes cut down to 4'8" lengths so I could shove them into the trunk of my compact car. I joined the shorter pipes on the ribs with 1-1/4" pipe sleeves cut to 15" (as I recall) with some high-temperature duct tape holding them in place to prevent slippage. (The 20x10 tarp is a bit oversized with lengths that short, so I was able to stake it directly to the ground through the grommets.)
jlaux42

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Where in the hell did half of the people that responded to this post come from ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Joshatdot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:05 am

haolegolucky wrote:Eh, just for for a monkeyhut.

Its playa tested and approved. I've used mine for three years straight and had NO issues with it.

You almost have the same design anyways. My MH has a floor plan of 12x10 with the ten foot section being the length and twelve being the width. I can stand up in it and I am 6' even.

I was wondering, does it need extra guide lines to hold it down as yumba has suggested? If so, I think adding pipe along the outside edge, so you can strap the tarp to it more, and also I could make some U shaped rebar to hold the edges down over that pipe.

I am also thinking if I could use a drum sander or Dremel, and use 1-1/4" Tees & Cross, just sand it out abit so the pipe slides snugly.
Joshatdot

Postby Joshatdot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:10 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Where in the hell did half of the people that responded to this post come from ?

norcal/esd
Houston, TX
20 minutes into the future
San Francisco
Sacramento CA
Hilo, HI
T-town,CA
NYC
Studio City, CA
Detroit
Ithaca, NY

:mrgreen:
Joshatdot

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

Anacortes...the only town in America where the A&W serves shrimp burgers.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Return to Shelter & Camping