Can you turn a carport and comforters into a tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Can you turn a carport and comforters into a tent?

Postby Talynt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm trying to think of an "alternative" housing structure this year... Looking at hexayurts, but with the difficulties in finding the thermax HD and the expense of the tape, I'm thinking it's a no go.

I've thought about those wigwam/teepee tents that have one center pole, but unless super tied down it doesn't seem that that will survive the wind.

So from the Hexayurt, I thought "why don't I just build a frame out of 2x4s and cover THAT with hexacomb cardboard?" From that point, i realized I could just get a carport and hang nice thick goodwill comforters for walls.

My question is, do you think this will work? If I stitch/glue/pin the comforters together, lay down a tarp, etc, will it stay up? Seems like a nice cheap way to camp. Should I string the inside with bungees and rope to keep the comforters from blowing around, etc? Any improvements or suggestions are appreciated.

What about building a wooden frame instead of a carport? I'm looking at spending <$200 for my shelter, and I'd like something roomier than a mesh tent.
Talynt

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 pm

You want the comforters as insulation? seems excessive to me.

The carports are actually quite cool inside, I was at a festival that was 30+ degrees celsius this past weekend and it was lovely inside with some carpets on the ground. I had a tent inside again so I could have privacy and still leave the ends of the carport open.
trystanthegypsy

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Yeah the Car Ports them Selves are actually pretty awesome. But you want to find one that is UV resistant. We have a white one with thinner walls that is a 'party canopy' it is exactly like the Car Ports but the tarps are not UV resistant and it does get kinda hot inside. The darker tan ones that are sorta the brown/tan color of the eplaya borders/background (not the text boxes) are my favorite.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm

yeeaaaah that's the one I have and I got it for half price *dances*
trystanthegypsy

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Hell yeah! thats a good one! My buddy has one that we've been using for a few years. Some time in early 2009 all the bungee cords for it disappeared. Its kinda falling apart. I'm hoping I can buy it from him for like 30 bucks.
Where did you get it half price?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:23 pm

FYI the tan one people mention below are awesome.

I've had one out there for 3 years. You get them from Costco for about $150 all in. The walls and roof are included.

You will need to buy better anchoring material....V stakes or rebar combined with breaking the wind with a vehicle works best.

You will also want to put down a painter tarp for a floor.

They have a couple of roll up windows on them that you can periodically open to air it out when there's no dust storms.

Most years, We put those up, then put a cheapie tent inside one end for sleeping/gear storage.

The carports are 10 X 20...so you hae lots of room. The walls are actually panels, so you can leave some off if you like to open it to the street, etc

Very versatile.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Talynt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 pm

How dust proof are the carports? The reason I mentioned the comforters is I'd like something that's dark, insulated, and (assuming I stitch the ends together well and tie em down) fairly dust proof. I'll be building one of Figjam's swamp coolers in the next couple weeks, and I thought it'd be nice to have nice, thick, sunlight blocking walls. If you pick the comforters right, it could have a Bedouin tent feel on the inside, no?

I might set up a tarp or something on the outside for shade, but I'm basically trying to avoid using a tent at all. What would I need to do to make a carport frame with comforter walls not fall apart in the wind?
Talynt

Re: Can you turn a carport and comforters into a tent?

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Talynt wrote:I'm trying to think of an "alternative" housing structure this year... Looking at hexayurts, but with the difficulties in finding the thermax HD and the expense of the tape, I'm thinking it's a no go.

What about building a wooden frame instead of a carport? I'm looking at spending <$200 for my shelter, and I'd like something roomier than a mesh tent.

What you're describing comes out there, called box houses, I think.

They work.
The only drawback to this approach is the bulk of the rigid pieces.
If that works for you, a good approach.

They typically use 2 x 4s or 2 x 2s, and can be walled on both sides.
Some are burned at the end of the week, cardboard and wood, others are carefully built and re-used.

They usually have a roof spaced out from the top for shade, and I think walls spaced like that are a great idea.
They are typically 8 feet by 8 feet, but it varies.

Modular and portable boxes for the inside of older rental housing, for comfort reasons, was described in architectural books at least as early as the sixties.
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Talynt wrote:How dust proof are the carports? The reason I mentioned the comforters is I'd like something that's dark, insulated, and (assuming I stitch the ends together well and tie em down) fairly dust proof. I'll be building one of Figjam's swamp coolers in the next couple weeks, and I thought it'd be nice to have nice, thick, sunlight blocking walls. If you pick the comforters right, it could have a Bedouin tent feel on the inside, no?

I might set up a tarp or something on the outside for shade, but I'm basically trying to avoid using a tent at all. What would I need to do to make a carport frame with comforter walls not fall apart in the wind?

I don't think insulation is a bad idea at all, but you need adequate shade as the outer layer.

I like these guys for carports.
Their tarps block light= heat.
http://www.shelsys.com/
gyre

Postby gidget » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Seems like you are talking about getting a roof only carport and using comforters for the walls? am I getting that wrong?

The costco carports are really the best way to go since they have walls, door, sometimes windows. You'd only need to worry about the 1" gap between the wall and the ground but you could probably just curl the floor tarp up the wall. They are pretty dust proof and pretty dark inside as long as you get the tan kind, some campmates of mine use them as their tent. If you are concerned about keeping it dark, I'd just hang some dark colored sheets or thin blankets inside. I think it gets hot and stuffy midday no matter what you do though, so you'd have to have some kind of circulation going on in there.
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby wwonka » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 pm

searching for carports on costco.com only garnered one result. it was two thousand dollars.

do you have a product name that you could share?

thanks
wwonka

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

They don't list them on the website, but they are in the stores, go look at them for yourself.
They are around $200-$250 last time I heard.
The brown ones get pretty hot inside if you have it closed up, if you find one that is white that is preferable.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 am

King Canopy, but most of their products seem to be out of stock.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gidget » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm

wwonka wrote:searching for carports on costco.com only garnered one result. it was two thousand dollars.

do you have a product name that you could share?

They seem to change brands/styles every year... often they are listed as canopies rather than carports. Usually between $190-$275... But probably just going to your local costco is your best bet. Shipping is probably insane $$$
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Return to Shelter & Camping