Tent Types for the desert

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm

bump
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby dnightshade » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 am

So I got a springbar this year. I also heard all the talk about the north pole canopies. I have a monkey hut from last year but is not nearly tall enough for a springbar tent. I was wondering if anyone knows if a springbar will fit comfortable under a North Pole shade structure.
dnightshade

Re:

Postby Elixirplaya » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 am

dragonpilot wrote:I have a big Coleman-type car camping tent...about 11 X 12. Just about every tent made has overhead mesh screens for ventilation that cannot be zipped closed. This is the primary entry point for most of the dust.

I went to my local thrift store and found some cheap baby blanket material. I cut the blanket to fit the mesh panels. Then I spent a couple of hours sewing the blanket material to the outside of the panels with an overlapping type of stitch. This does a remarkable job minimizing interior dust.

I also cover my bins and bedding with an old sheet when I'm out and about. It ain't perfect, but it works pretty good! YMMV... :D

I've heard good and bad things about Colemans. Super cheap, but not durable. Yet many at BM seem to have them. What's the deal???
Elixirplaya

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Wine Cellar

Re: Tent Types for the desert

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 am

If you put the typical coleman, or any other WallyWorld ten up without a wind break, the fabric will tear, the poles will break and you will be homeless. Any tent will survive if you provide sufficient surroundings to mitigate the wind blowing directly on the tent.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping