Tent Types for the desert

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tent Types for the desert

Postby Green Fairy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:38 am

Second year burner... last year had a very normal tent with the whole ventilation and fly to keep the rain out... didn't keep the dust out even a little bit. Maybe a little bit, ziplock bags will be a must this year. I want a tent that will be breathable but easier to keep the dust out... or is there just no avoiding it? What have some of you guys found to be good tents? pros/cons?

-Lady Green
Be brave. Be bold. Withstand the test of time. We are limitless.
Green Fairy

Postby Green Fairy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:34 am

Here are some things I've found while browsing... I'm unsure of the best way to tell if it's desert proof

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... CrossSells

I like this one ^^ any experienced burners think it will stand up?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35420#

This one seems like I would have to mask it up with carpet tape ^^

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21974

I've heard good things about Coleman and the price is still reasonable^^
Green Fairy

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:35 am

i had a dome tent where 2 sides had big mesh triangles. I safety pinned a bed sheet over the top, with the bed sheet kinda folding under itself. It worked great. just make sure you detail-safety pin the parts where the poles go in, and mark those areas to make em easier to find
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 am

For sleeping, we have a tiny "60 second set up" dome tent. It is under a carport for shade. So everything we do is dusty in the carport, but our bed is almost 100% dust free. We wipe our feet before going to bed, and we keep the door and window zippered up. We cover it with a comforter for insulation. In the sun, it would be an oven. Can't stand up in it. So we wash and dress, etc, in the carport, we have a small privacy area curtained aside behind the tent..

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24450

Sets up remarkably fast, something like an umbrella! Wouldn't withstand winds without a bit of shelter, I'd think.

Ooh, look, it is on sale.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Green Fairy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am

Fire_Moose- I've heard of the bedsheet and safety pin bit, sounds like a good way to go. What do you mean by this : "just make sure you detail-safety pin the parts where the poles go in, and mark those areas to make em easier to find" ?

AntiM- I am not sure what kind of shade will be available to me, hmm will definitely bookmark your link in consideration

Thanks again!
Green Fairy

Postby StevenGoodman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 am

This has been discussed a bunch.

If you don't mind heavy and expensive, but last forever:
Springbar
http://www.springbar.com/
Kodiak Canvas
http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 am

Green Fairy wrote:Fire_Moose- I've heard of the bedsheet and safety pin bit, sounds like a good way to go. What do you mean by this : "just make sure you detail-safety pin the parts where the poles go in, and mark those areas to make em easier to find" ?

AntiM- I am not sure what kind of shade will be available to me, hmm will definitely bookmark your link in consideration

Thanks again!

I did mine at home, so it would be ready when i got to the playa.

You need to make sure you can still get to the pole sleeves so you can set up the tent. Which means you have to spend a little bit of time securing the sheet to the pole sleeves. Then i took a sharpie and made a bunch of arrows pointing at where the pole sleeve was.
Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 am

Green Fairy wrote:Here are some things I've found while browsing... I'm unsure of the best way to tell if it's desert proof

That looks like it attaches to the "Docking Station", a 450$ tent.
Fire_Moose

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:05 pm

We just throw the spread/sheet/comforter over the tent and use little spring clamps to hold it firmly in place. No need to poke holes in anything. Can't survive without our spring clamps.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 pm

I have a big Coleman-type car camping tent...about 11 X 12. Just about every tent made has overhead mesh screens for ventilation that cannot be zipped closed. This is the primary entry point for most of the dust.

I went to my local thrift store and found some cheap baby blanket material. I cut the blanket to fit the mesh panels. Then I spent a couple of hours sewing the blanket material to the outside of the panels with an overlapping type of stitch. This does a remarkable job minimizing interior dust.

I also cover my bins and bedding with an old sheet when I'm out and about. It ain't perfect, but it works pretty good! YMMV... :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby archeolojust » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 am

I actually managed to end up with a tent with no center ceiling ventilation. I'm a bit worried about the poles as it has been used a lot and they are sorta bent and are aluminum. The tent is Lands End, I think...
archeolojust

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:54 pm

archeolojust wrote:I actually managed to end up with a tent with no center ceiling ventilation. I'm a bit worried about the poles as it has been used a lot and they are sorta bent and are aluminum. The tent is Lands End, I think...

Just what you need...a tent that might collapse at the first gust of wind.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby thesandman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:17 pm

i had gone to REI to get 4 season tent on a close out it looks like this one http://www.rei.com/product/794283 2 small zip close vents i have test it bit now acts strong and close is tight lucky me i got it for %50 off last years model is was told
thesandman

kodiak and springbar

Postby xhoosier » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 pm

I see others mention the springbar type. Which is about 450 for a 10 by 10 or 550 for a 10 by 14. My wife thinks I am crazy but I am buying the 10 by 14. She doesn't think I am crazy becuase of the tent size but the 550 bucks. But I want a safe, stable tent that will hold up in strong winds and last for years. I am still checking to see if the vinegar and water I will use to clean it out will remove the waterproofing. that is my only holdback.
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby archeolojust » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Is it possible to order replacement poles that are more heavy duty by just ordering based on length?

Its a pretty sturdy tent when its all set up and I've never had a single problem. Been camping in many storms, some of which were quite windy. Plus the size and lack of screen at the top are pretty awesome.
archeolojust

Postby geekster » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:52 am

I have a springbar. Put a gambrel style shade structure over it and you will be fine.

The gambrel shape holds up better in the wind and the breeze tends to push it down to the ground rather than lift it up.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:57 am

Green Fairy wrote:Here are some things I've found while browsing... I'm unsure of the best way to tell if it's desert proof

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35420#

This one seems like I would have to mask it up with carpet tape ^^

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21974

I've heard good things about Coleman and the price is still reasonable^^

Mesh roofs.

Tents with mesh roofs ARE NOT tents.
Mesh will keep mosquitoes out.
Serves no useful purpose otherwise.
Tents with mesh are not functional anywhere you actually need a tent.

Look for four or fifth season tents to find a real tent.
Also expedition tents, arctic, etc.

If you have shade, you don't need ventilation out there.
The 100 mph winds take care of that.

Flexible paint over mesh has been tried.

Desert tents traditionally have multiple layers for insulation, usually three but can go much higher.
Shade replaces this need in the day, but at least one covering fly adds much warmth at night.
This is the only failing of the springbar, besides weight.

Note the vented area between the roof fly and tent.

Three layers in the roof fly.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 am

archeolojust wrote:Is it possible to order replacement poles that are more heavy duty by just ordering based on length?

Its a pretty sturdy tent when its all set up and I've never had a single problem. Been camping in many storms, some of which were quite windy. Plus the size and lack of screen at the top are pretty awesome.

Yes.
Marmot will custom make poles.
Others too.

If you get a springbar, I suggest adding a zipper across the bottom of the door when you order.
gyre

Re: kodiak and springbar

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 am

xhoosier wrote:I see others mention the springbar type. Which is about 450 for a 10 by 10 or 550 for a 10 by 14. My wife thinks I am crazy but I am buying the 10 by 14. She doesn't think I am crazy becuase of the tent size but the 550 bucks. But I want a safe, stable tent that will hold up in strong winds and last for years. I am still checking to see if the vinegar and water I will use to clean it out will remove the waterproofing. that is my only holdback.

I was deciding between the Springbar & Kodiak. I went with the Kodiak because the door zips all the way around. The Springbar looks like it's open at the bottom. & I could buy a Kodiak locally & not pay shipping.
It IS a beast!! VERY well made. Nice heavy poles & one person can set it up no problem!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Green Fairy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 pm

I went with this guy --> http://www.springbar.com/explore/compac ... _tent.html

Not too expensive, but probably heavy, just ordered it. Least expensive one they make, but I figure a $40 tent probably isn't what I want. I went to REI where they sell all the meshy stuff and those were even upwards of $400, so I feel like this baby is worth it. Good investment. Thanks for all your help :-)
Green Fairy

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Looks good! Here is mine in action this past weekend. Notice the little Corgy who is NOT on her blanket & ended up with 3 pounds of sap on her feet???

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Hoolie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Green Fairy wrote:I went with this guy --> http://www.springbar.com/explore/compac ... _tent.html

Not too expensive, but probably heavy, just ordered it. Least expensive one they make, but I figure a $40 tent probably isn't what I want. I went to REI where they sell all the meshy stuff and those were even upwards of $400, so I feel like this baby is worth it. Good investment. Thanks for all your help :-)

Nice. I considered that tent myself, but ended up going with the Campsite 3. I already had a nylon two-person tent, so I thought the 2000 might be somewhat redundant. I use my Campsite 3 year-round, as I'm sure you can do with the 2000. I think you will be pleased with it. If you have the time, it would be great if you put up a little review here once you receive it.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby archeolojust » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Yeah, those interior desert tent decorations are glorious...and so pricey. A bellydancers dream home....*dreamy sigh*
archeolojust

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Boijoy wrote:Looks good! Here is mine in action this past weekend. Notice the little Corgy who is NOT on her blanket & ended up with 3 pounds of sap on her feet???

ooooh, what campground is that?
I'll trade sappy Corgi for poo rolling Schipperke. :roll:
LostinReno

hay Boijoy

Postby xhoosier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

have you compared the 10 by 10 to the 10 by 14? Someone mentioned on a site that there wasn't much more room in the 10 by 14 becuase the walls sloped a lot more? Do you have any idea if this is right? 100 bucks will get me a airbed for my tent but I also want to make sure I can sleep at least 4 people and all their junk.

thanks,
xhoosier

Postby Green Fairy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:26 am

[quote="Boijoy"]Looks good! Here is mine in action this past weekend. Notice the little Corgy who is NOT on her blanket & ended up with 3 pounds of sap on her feet???

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs152.snc4/36956_1412256518481_1594567244_30957590_3341609_n.jpg[/img][/quote]

I love that picture. What a cute pup. I am very excited about my tent, tell me how heavy is it to carry, say, for a girl who is about 5'9" 150 ilbs and will be flying around sans car?

Hoolie- Yeah, if I had the money I would too. And yes, I will be setting up in my backyard as soon as it arrives, and from the sounds of it, maybe even trying it out for a night ;-) so I will most def post a review. Thanks :-)
Green Fairy

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 am

Lost. that's Nevada Beach Campground @ Lake Tahoe. Nice.. but cold.

Green. our tent weighs about 80lbs w/ poles. I think yours said 20 ish?

xhoosier. we have the 10x10. we sleep 2 with a cot & single air matress. with about 4' in between. I think for 4 & gear you will need the 10x14. You can use the sloping walls for the gear. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

thanks

Postby xhoosier » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:06 am

i am off to buy one now!!!

Happy Burning Man 2010
xhoosier

Postby Orchid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 am

LostinReno wrote:I'll trade sappy Corgi for poo rolling Schipperke. :roll:

As someone who owned both a corgi and a schipperke at the same time I can assure you they can both be equally naughty dogs. They're lucky they're so adorable.
Orchid

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Springbar also has the larger tents, as well as the expandable and one bedroom tents.
gyre

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping