Is 18inch Hook Rebar acceptable?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Is 18inch Hook Rebar acceptable?

Postby Sillytwin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:13 pm

This is my first year at Burning Man and am EXCITED! I practiced building our canvas tent in my backyard this past weekend.

I was wondering if 18 inch HOOK rebar is ok to secure the tent? I have read that 24 or 36 inches is recommended, but was wondering if 18 inches is ok?

Thank you! :D
Sillytwin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm

You'll almost certainly be fine. There are gusts of wind that get pretty fast and strong, but few that are that strong.

But I'm not hte person (or couch) to give building advice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sputnik » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 pm

I'll just say that I had great success with 12" aluminum V stakes. They're easily found in army surplus stores. They are also as cheap as rebar and much easier to pound in.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:34 pm

I think most of us don't "hook" the rebar any more because it makes it very hard to pound in. 18in should be just fine. Bring bottles, tennis balls, or something to put over the exposed rebar (I prefer pool noodles) in order to avoid shin injuries.
Mojojita

Postby Zhust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Mojojita wrote:I think most of us don't "hook" the rebar any more because it makes it very hard to pound in.

That's because you have to kink it like a check-mark, not bend it like a candy-cane. I did some experiments with making a bending tool but found that rebar would snap before it bent tight enough. I don't have a beefy enough torch handy to soften it enough to bend properly. I started using round steel stock that I had lying around.

May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Token » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

For securing a tent, rebar is overkill.

Go to your friendly big box hardware megastore and get 12" galvanized nails. They are ~ two for a buck and are easily driven and removed with a common claw hammer.

For bigger structures concrete stake form steel rods are a great choice and come in multi-foot lengths.

And finally, if you invest an afternoon into learning how to tie real knots, all this bending stuff becomes academic.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Sillytwin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Oh wow - thanks everyone! I was about purchase rebar & candy-cane it all!

So I have this round tent - the Soulpad 3000-hybrid - it has a total of 10 guy wires. If I did use the 12" galvanized nails - how would that work? I tie knots to the nails and then hammer down? They came with metal stakes (kinda like V stakes) - 10-12 inches in length

http://soulpad.com/sanctuary/components ... d2fda4.jpg

Any suggestions for shade structure? I was thinking carport?
Sillytwin

Postby Token » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Look at the picture. The line in front loops back and there is a tenssioning gizmo on the end. You drive the nail at a small (30ish degree) angle and just loop the line and use the tenssioner.

As for shade, search. There are countless threads on the subject.

BTW, the metal V stakes should be fine as well. Get the nails as insurance since they are so cheap.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby teardropper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, this ain't a cheap solution, but I'm having rebar stakes made. #4, which is 1/2", rebar is about $6/20' piece. You can cut it yourself or have it cut, usually for about $.50/cut. Then I take it to a local steel fabricator who will bend it, heating it with a torch, into pretty close to right angle bends. These are easy to pound in, and can be removed with vice grips with a twisting and pulling motion. Don't know how big a structure this will keep down, but I'm going with 16" for my North Pole Party Shade. I suppose bigger things might take fatter or longer stakes. Our small tents have stayed down with 12" stakes. I like the right angle bends because you can pound them all the way in, so you don't have to put anything on them, like tennis balls. I also used 12" nail stakes like you get at camping supply stores. They have little clips on top to hold your rope and you can pound those all the way in, too. If you make rebar stakes, remember that if you want 12" into the playa you have to add the 1 1/2 angle top, so they are 13 1/2 before you bend them.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Yeah, I tried bending candy canes by myself and it really sucked trying to drive them in . This year I bought some pre-bent ones that look a little easier.

http://www.deerbusters.com/dee-8032.html
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

This is year #6 for me. Year #1 I secured my Coleman 11 X 12 tent with 6 24" rebar. I came back after after a couple of hours right after a big blow to find every piece of rebar intact, but the tent was shredded. So it ain't always what you secure it with, but how you protect it from the wind...like behind an RV or truck or several parked cars, etc.

Of course bigger structures need the heavier rebar simply because the tension on the guys is so much greater...but a camping tent...the 10" nails do just fine. You can also get 10" tent nails http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23017 at most camping supply stores......the end caps have holes for securing lines as well as a hook. They pound flush to the ground so no tripping injuries. They come cheaper at other stores than the ones illustrated here.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Sillytwin- one other thing to think about. The guy lines from your tent go way out- you're going to want to make sure you have some sort of lights on them at night so that no-one (including yourself) goes stumbling over them & takes your tent down as well. Figure it will happen & plan accordingly, don't think it won't & not be ready for it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Is 18inch Hook Rebar acceptable?

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Sillytwin wrote:This is my first year at Burning Man and am EXCITED! I practiced building our canvas tent in my backyard this past weekend. I was wondering if 18 inch HOOK rebar is ok to secure the tent? I have read that 24 or 36 inches is recommended, but was wondering if 18 inches is ok?

Sure.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Is 18inch Hook Rebar acceptable?

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Bob wrote:
Sillytwin wrote:This is my first year at Burning Man and am EXCITED! I practiced building our canvas tent in my backyard this past weekend. I was wondering if 18 inch HOOK rebar is ok to secure the tent? I have read that 24 or 36 inches is recommended, but was wondering if 18 inches is ok?

Sure.

Be sure to bring appropriate tools for hammering it into the ground. A smallish sledge hammer should do. But not the kind of hammer you use on nails.

BTW, as for bending the stuff, I just place it over a bench vice and bend it twice. I end up with a big staple that's 16" on each end with about a hand width in between. It's pretty good.. not perfect but nobody can hurt themselves on it and it's pretty sturdy. I just staple my 16 ft dome to the ground and it doesn't move an inch.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Snow » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 pm

There will be no wind this year
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:16 am

no dust either
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 am

supposed to snow, bring your skis
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby justfred » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 am

18" rebar for a tent is excessive.

I suggest military tent stakes, available from your local surplus store. 12" spade (v-profile) stakes should work great, and be a lot easier to pound in and to remove.

A small sledge is a must.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby skibear » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 am

A small 3 pound one, called an "Engineers Hammer", will work fine.

former engineer here!
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Burning Since: 2002

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Good for you at doing research.

Rebar is a great material with a lot of surface area and pull out strength. I've used it for monkey hut structures. It's cheap, available at home despot, where they have non-OSHA rebar caps which you need to secure to 3/8 and 1/2 diameters because they will pop and blow off.

For tents, I would strongly recommend hot galvanized roofing nails from the local home despot. They are 12", easily drivable, removable, cheap, and don't ankle wound. You can easily drive them to the ground then claw lever them out. Suggest a #5 hammer for driving and a large claw hammer or wide enough jaw crowbar and bracing block to remove.

There are many more around the home uses later for 12" nails than candy cane rebar, in my experience.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm

I use candy-cane rebar on my dome (they ends go right over the bottom poles and work really well) and 12" nails on my tent. What do you people use for carports?
trystanthegypsy

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

also, I thought this thread was about hookers at first glance....
trystanthegypsy

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

There's going to be hookers at Burning Man? Hooray!

(But wait...doesn't this mean they're going to have to gift their wares? And if they're giving IT away, doesn't that mean they're not hookers...which means there are not going to be any hookers at Burning Man..*sob*).
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby bm_cricket » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 pm

dragonpilot wrote:There's going to be hookers at Burning Man? Hooray!

(But wait...doesn't this mean they're going to have to gift their wares? And if they're giving IT away, doesn't that mean they're not hookers...which means there are not going to be any hookers at Burning Man..*sob*).

He's broken.. You broke his poor mind... It's okay dragonpilot. It's good to share. Even if there's no hookers I'm sure everything will be just fine.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:01 pm

They're still hookers if they barter. ;)
Schwag for shag? :lol:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I'll be your hooker.

for booze.

lots and lots of booze.

oh wait- then it'll be date rape.

NO HOOKERS AT BURNING MAN :'( :cry:

ETA: what? where's my crying smiley? oh there it is.
trystanthegypsy

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I use candy-cane rebar on my dome (they ends go right over the bottom poles and work really well) and 12" nails on my tent. What do you people use for carports?

I do the same thing for my dome. It's never moved an inch. The only trick is not missing and denting the hell out of your struts. :D
(so far so good... *knock wood* )

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:06 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:

I'll be your hooker.

for booze.

lots and lots of booze.

oh wait- then it'll be date rape.

NO HOOKERS AT BURNING MAN :'(

Can't rape the willing? :wink:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:06 pm

capjbadger wrote:
trystanthegypsy wrote:I use candy-cane rebar on my dome (they ends go right over the bottom poles and work really well) and 12" nails on my tent. What do you people use for carports?

I do the same thing for my dome. It's never moved an inch. The only trick is not missing and denting the hell out of your struts. :D

-Badger

some assholes climbed all over my (small! 16') dome last year and bent it all to hell. (it didn't have a cover on it at the time.) They just bent right back and I didn't care :D
trystanthegypsy

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:08 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

-Badger

some assholes climbed all over my (small! 16') dome last year and bent it all to hell. (it didn't have a cover on it at the time.) They just bent right back and I didn't care :D

I make sure mine is covered so people don't try that. The 3/4 emt wouldn't hold up to that unless they stayed on the junctions.

-Badger

capjbadger

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping