Cover Template for 1V Dome (Starplate System)??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Cover Template for 1V Dome (Starplate System)??

Postby noahdeep » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Howdy,

Wondering if any of you wise ones out there might have a template for sewing together panels for the 1V Starplate systems-based Domes. I just bought the setup, and want to cover it in canvas panels, but don't want to waste the staples/time putting each individual panel on.

I've found many templates for 2V through 7V domes, but nothing laid out for the 1V. Given that each panel will be the same size, since the 1V is composed of equilateral triangles, I should be able to puzzle it out given enough time, but our regional burn (Apogaea) is coming up and I want to get a solution for this so I can test-run it there.

Thanks for all your help!!

NDeep
TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK
ToneAge!!
noahdeep

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Where did you get your Starplates? I contacted Strombergs (whence I got the plates) and they sent me some templates. Not sure if it's exactly what you need.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ConnieH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Do you know how long your framing members will be? If you know that, then you know your triangle size ;-) Plus an inch or so for the thickness of the wood and starplate connectors, and for seam allowance.

and from the Stromberg site:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/starp ... e_size.php

If your question is how to sew the pieces together - look at the picture and sew accordingly, seems simple enough?
ConnieH

Postby noahdeep » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm

@ Dougly - Yup Strombergs. I'll contact them for templates. Thanks!

@ConnieH - Yes, the struts will all be 7' long. A couple factors lead to me asking rather than just sitting down and drawing it out.

1) Since the struts can be mounted either on the inside or the outside of the starplate connectors, I wanted to ask anyone with experience which works best for making a custom-fit cover.

2nd factor is that I want to use canvas, which shrinks even after washed. I was hoping to find some real-life users of said material that could tell me more about appropriate size allowances for said shrinkage (cue dirty jokes). Also, as I said, I'm on a bit of a time crunch, since Apo is next weekend, and I may not have enough time to experiment with the geometry of my canvas sheets.

Thanks for your questions and help =)
TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK
ToneAge!!
noahdeep

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Wash it first.
Have a nice weekend!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:55 pm

I've actaully done exactly what you are trying. I built the 1v on top of a 2v dome.

The 1v covering is VERY simple. If you need, go out and buy yourself a "D20" dice to help picture it. Its a 1v full sphere.

The side is just a straight bit of cloth. The triangles lean in and out equally and it all evens out.

The top is also easy. Draw and cut out a hexagon with the triangles the same size as the ones on your dome (v1's are nice that all of the triangles are the same).
Now cut out one triagle of the hexagon. You end up with something that looks like PacMan. Sew his mouth shut. You now have a "domed" pentagon that fits the roof.

Like this just without the extra triangles:

Seem allowances an such are up to you. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby noahdeep » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:14 am

@Dougly - Thanks! Yep, definitely planning on washing ti all before any cutting/sewing.

@baJer - You are the BEST!!!! And nice reference to the D20 - Actually pulled mine out a couple days back and contemplated it fiercely. Like a LARPing Thinking Man...

That's sooo awesome to hear that the sides even out- My biggest bit of fear assuaged.

And the top will be super easy too, since I'm going for a different color cloth for that now, I can just wrap it and strap it!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK
ToneAge!!
noahdeep

Postby BlueInSeattle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm

I was actually looking for a cover template for a 2V dome (based on the standard size on www.desertdomes.com for effectively using a 10' EMT conduit), mind directing me towards one of those?
BlueInSeattle

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:41 pm

BlueInSeattle wrote:I was actually looking for a cover template for a 2V dome (based on the standard size on www.desertdomes.com for effectively using a 10' EMT conduit), mind directing me towards one of those?

Check out the last post of this thread. :)
viewtopic.php?p=548080&highlight=#548080

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 am

Ah ha! I KNEW I took some pics...
photo set of 2 story dome w/emt and star plates

Rest are in the set link above.

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby noahdeep » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 pm

I can't tell you how much that set of photos helped me. Thank you CapJBadger, for the various views and perspectives on the construction and connection points. And by the way, that is one heckuva creative idea for a two-story dome!! Awesome.

Any pics of it covered? My mind was racing after perusing those shots, and I'd love to see your concept with a finished facade.

Thanks again, everyone!
TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK
ToneAge!!
noahdeep

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:22 pm

My pleasure. Glad the pics helped. Credit Robotland for giving me the idea to stack domes. I just went and took it a different direction. Someday I'll build this one: (just a model for now)

3v dome with 1v "pods". Tempted to make it a mutant vehicle, but I might have some issues getting through streets. ;)

I don't have any pics of it covered. I'll have to take some if I put it all together again before the burn. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Return to Shelter & Camping