mosquito netting to keep out dust?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

mosquito netting to keep out dust?

Postby zalamander » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Ok, gotta turn to the intertubes to settle this one. Campmates-to-be are thinking that a layer or two of mosquito netting will be at least somewhat effective at keeping dust out of a tent or dome. I'm on the skeptical side. What say y'all?
zalamander

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:11 pm

NOPE! Learn to love the dust! It will find you!

Think of trying to defend yourself against talcom powder!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 pm

it'll work, as well as it'll work to scoop water.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Playa Dust particles are measured in Microns, and darned few of those at that. Mosquito netting would be utterly useless.

Welcome!

Now go read everything related to First Timers on the main web site.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FaeTora » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:15 pm

I don't think so but I could be wrong though. I personally think mesquito netting would be like trying to keep out flies with fishnet stockings. Most are very porious and the Playa dirt I hear is very fine. I think part of BRC is just accepting that dirt happens. I will tape my vents on my tent before I go to reduce the insane amount that would probably be inside my tent if I didn't. Other than that, I've resigned that I will not be clean or dust free till I get off the Playa.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Yikes. Two others snuck in ahead of me while I was typing. This sure is a competitive sport!
:lol: :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby FaeTora » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 pm

I know. I'm fourth. I didn't think I typed that slow!
FaeTora

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Yikes. Two others snuck in ahead of me while I was typing. This sure is a competitive sport!
:lol: :lol:

Ygmir and I jinxed ourselves too. Its a question, that is easily answered!

Buy a mask and goggles!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

thanks!

Postby zalamander » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm

ygmir wrote:it'll work, as well as it'll work to scoop water.........

Elliot wrote:Playa Dust particles are measured in Microns, and darned few of those at that. Mosquito netting would be utterly useless.

FaeTora wrote:I personally think mesquito netting would be like trying to keep out flies with fishnet stockings.

That's what I thought! My hunch was that bug nets weren't gonna do shit for keeping dust out but I didn't have any, yknow, real facts to back this up. Yall count as "real facts"...for me at least.

Funny thing is that most of these people have been in years past, maybe they've just been dust-light years?

TomServo wrote:NOPE! Learn to love the dust! It will find you!

Yeah! Personally I kinda like the dust... it turns sweaty skin into peach-fuzz-smooth skin! I'm coming back home with people who are a little more sensitive I suppose...
zalamander

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 am

As a side note, you can throw a large bedsheet over yer bedding whenever you get up. it will catch the dust that would otherwise be on yer bed each day....by wednesday you'll stop using it.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 am

Facts? Let's see...mosquito netting is full of holes. Fact. Playa dust is insanely fine, like baby powder. Fact. Mosquito netting is full of holes. Oh wait, I mentioned that one already...

Embrace the dust. Let it hold you, enfold you...serve you champagne and recite sonnets in your honor.

Fighting just makes it worse.

Oops, meant to post that last one in the date rape thread. :roll:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 am

Stop covering your ben with the sheet or your bed? :D
FaeTora

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:01 am

oh that made since in my head... warning... Fae shouldn't type before coffee. I meant DO you mean you"ll stop using the sheet or using your bed... there it goes.
FaeTora

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 am

I didn't cover anything in my shelter last year, and I had no problems with dust getting in. I didn't have to sweep off my bed at night or anything.
C.f.M.

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:12 am

FaeTora wrote:... I meant DO you mean you"ll stop using the sheet or using your bed... there it goes.

You'll stop using your bed.
By Wednesday you will have learned how to float. It's another advantage to going for the entire week.
Just_Joe

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:17 am

Hey a friend of mine ended up in several woman's tent and rarely used his own. but if I get the ability to float on the Playa, can I also learn to levitate things too? Or is that too greedy? :lol:
FaeTora

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:48 am

I think everything levataits if its not staked down.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 am

you'll stop using the sheet....i wish i had the moxie to sway people into letting me use their tents
Fire_Moose

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 am

I'm a little weird about where I sleep and I'm not sure I have the ability to just sleep in someone's tent who I just met or be intimate with a stranger either. But I know people who do both on and off the Playa. To each their own. Hey maybe I can get you some Moxie. Isn't it the new perfume from Ralph Lauren? :lol:
FaeTora

Postby teardropper » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 am

Fire_Moose wrote:As a side note, you can throw a large bedsheet over yer bedding whenever you get up. it will catch the dust that would otherwise be on yer bed each day....by wednesday you'll stop using it.

Yeah, I cover my bed with a sheet. And you're mostly right about Wednesday. More like Thursday. I do it anyway.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Dust bunnies

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am

Yes just get used to the dust. Nothing will keep it out of everything. Ziploc bags help for sure. Covering bed with a sheet helps. Vinegar can get most off of most surfaces. But it will find you and your things.

One year this guy in our camp who had been going for years put some in a salt shaker and dashed it on his meals.....he said it was going to be in his system anyway why not help it along

Also my first year my friend made me lie in the dust after I gonged the gong at the gate. He said it be the cleaniest I would be all week--LOL!
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID
SuperNakedGirl

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:40 am

There's a gong at the gate? The guys I'm going with aren't telling me too much about BM except survival skills because they want me to experience it without expectations. But is there really a gong?

Off topic note, never been on the Playa but I had a dream the other night of a greeter telling me "Welcome home" as we drove in and I jumped out and hugged him. I wonder if I did that if the greeter would be mad.

Curiousity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought him back.
FaeTora

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:44 am

the greeters are the mean ones. Hug one of the gate crew.
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:47 am

Use a mosquito net at Burning Man and I will guarantee that you won't be bitten by mosquitos.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:57 am

Well, like your friends, we are not going to tell you everything. The flying goats, for example, must never be mentioned outside of Black Rock City.

But the gong is public knowledge. It is at the Greeter Station. The Greeter Station is a second "gate", just past The Gate.

The Gate takes you ticket and inspects your vehicle for stowaways and prohibited items like motorcycles and dogs. This is the "technical" part of entering BRC.

Next, the Greeter Station is the ceremonial part of entering BRC. "Birgins" (Burning Virgins) ring a gong here.

As for hugging a greeter.... You might want to see a doctor about your weird dreams.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

Well I will be ringing it then becuase I am a complete Burning Virgin. I've never even been to a pre-burn or a regional burn. This is truly my first.

As for the doctor, I'll tell the shrink I see once a year for check-ups about it but she usually just nods and says "Your fine, morbid and odd but fine. See you next year."
FaeTora

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Hmmm.... Just to be certain -- I was kidding about the weird dream and the doctor.

You may not have a chance to hug a Greeter before a Greeter hugs you.

Relax, read the survival stuff, make costumes, practice the piano, go and enjoy.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

oh I know you were kinding. I just like to tease back because people think its odd that I have full checkups once a year both physically and mentally just because of my family's history of illness. My mother gave me one great piece of advice: You either laugh or you cry. I like to laugh, even at myself. I just have an odd sense of humor.

Now the Relax part is harder. I have lists for lists in prep for BM. I'm so OCD sometimes with prep work. But I am working on it.

The greeters hug you? Awesome.
FaeTora

Postby ygmir » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:09 pm

FaeTora wrote:oh I know you were kinding. I just like to tease back because people think its odd that I have full checkups once a year both physically and mentally just because of my family's history of illness. My mother gave me one great piece of advice: You either laugh or you cry. I like to laugh, even at myself. I just have an odd sense of humor.

Now the Relax part is harder. I have lists for lists in prep for BM. I'm so OCD sometimes with prep work. But I am working on it.

The greeters hug you? Awesome.

I'm gonna work some gate, for the first time this year.......so..........I bring "perimeter" attitude with me......

be ready.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oldsoul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 pm

I think there are some good threads still floating around about how to seal your up your tent to keep out as much dust as possible, and countless others on tents you can buy that don't let in much dust out of the box. In my personal tent, about the only dust that gets in is what I bring in with me from the outside. This can vary from a little to a lot, depending on how many hedonistic orgies I host.

Some other ideas, for your central shade area try putting down some carpet and/or rugs. A tarp could work out well for you as a replacement for your bug nets, but can catch a lot of wind so be careful how you set it up.

Dust will happen though, attempting to fight against it too hard will result in a most unhappy time.

Perimeter attitude at the gate, hmm? Does this mean you're going to cavity search all the virgins and steal everyone's beer? :P
oldsoul

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping