Radiant Barriers / brands you like and have found are sturdy

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Radiant Barriers / brands you like and have found are sturdy

Postby veleda » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm building one of Bender Bjurts..well actually seven of them this year.. and looking at trying to cover them with the foil bubble wrap insulation stuff.

Anyone worked with this stuff? is it easy to work with? Does it keep things cool?

There are a lot of different brands out there.. would love to hear some feedback on price vs. performance.

Thanks!
veleda

Postby Snow » Mon May 17, 2010 3:53 pm

I line the entire cab of my pickup with it (not just the windows with it). It seems to work great, much cooler inside. No idea on the cost as it was scavanged from a decomissioned water treatment system. We used it to insulate carbon filters that were outside to try to prevent them from freezing.

Its easy to work with just cut with knife or scissors. But if you don't want it blowing away it will need to be well attached to something.
Snow

Postby veleda » Mon May 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Do you use the lightweight 5/16" kind or the kind that is several inches thick? Trying to figure out whether its worth the extra expense to get the thicker kind.

how late were you able to sleep?
veleda

Postby Snow » Mon May 17, 2010 4:21 pm

the thinner kind. I didn't sleep in the truck its WAY too small, just stored food drinks in there (for 2.5 weeks).
Snow

Postby veleda » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Nods. I'm still figuring out whether to do something like Prodex or a cheaper brand or just use SilviCool fabric.
veleda

Postby robotland » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

I had great success with spraygluing mylar space blankets to cardboard sheets for rooftop sun reflectors. They've lasted several years so far, are super cheap, and fold up like windshield shades!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby gyre » Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 pm

If you're serious, a vented attic is worthwhile.

I have a post about reflectix too, if you haven't seen it.
gyre

Return to Shelter & Camping