North Pole Party Shade

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: North Pole Party Shade

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 pm

sharke wrote:I took my 30' Guide Gear model for a test camping trip this past weekend, using it to shade a 10x10 Kodiak tent. I too was concerned about the peak failing, and had planned to find a small plastic bowl to use as an end cap between the pole and the fabric at the peak, but I neglected to do so. Sure enough, the peak tore through on day 2 of our trip :roll:

This sounds a little different than how the NPPT's are made. They have a plastic attachment point that is sewn into the tent for the center pole. Do these have anything like that, or is the pole sitting directly on the tent fabric? :O
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby floydlaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:17 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote: This sounds a little different than how the NPPT's are made. They have a plastic attachment point that is sewn into the tent for the center pole. Do these have anything like that, or is the pole sitting directly on the tent fabric? :O

No attachment point. Each end of the center tentpole is covered with a rubber stopper. The fabric rests directly on that.
floydlaw

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound so good...
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby sharke » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 pm

floydlaw wrote:
sharke wrote:I took my 30' Guide Gear model for a test camping trip this past weekend, using it to shade a 10x10 Kodiak tent. I too was concerned about the peak failing, and had planned to find a small plastic bowl to use as an end cap between the pole and the fabric at the peak, but I neglected to do so. Sure enough, the peak tore through on day 2 of our trip :roll:

Yikes! Did the top pole tear through & collapse the tent? Was it just tension or were there winds? It sounds like you're still planning on using it for BM. What are you going to do about the top? I wonder if just getting some kind of kickball & cutting it would be enough to disperse the tension.

RE: bottom ventilation. I picked-up the bungee balls & deer fence ground stakes. I was thinking I might stake out the diameter a little farther than the 10', which might allow for the gap you're talking about.

I also noticed the velcro'd top flaps. Really don't know why they have velcro on them, because once the tent is up, there's no real way to open them.

The top pole actually forced through the fabric at one of the seams right next to the point. Actually, in all the excitement of trying to set it up on a windy, rocky hill, I lost the rubber cap that goes on the top pipe, so the circumference of the raw metal pipe was pressed against the top of the tent. That may have contributed to (or accelerated) the rip, however I'm still planning on using some kind of plastic bowl between the top of the pole and the tent for burning man.
sharke

Burning Since: 2012

Postby delle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 am

How about a tennis ball? I'd worry about the bowl shifting.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby sharke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

delle wrote:How about a tennis ball? I'd worry about the bowl shifting.

Thanks for this suggestion! We're going to do exactly that - a tennis ball on the end of the pole, combined with a hacked plastic funnel sewn into the point of the shade.

I also cut some slits into the vents, up above the velcro, so that they will blow open more easily. Now I'm tempted to cut some more slits or L shaped "vents" near the top so that it can ventilate even more freely :?
sharke

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Check on the playa. You are bringing a knife or scissors.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sharke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Check on the playa. You are bringing a knife or scissors.

That's a good point, but the problem is the top of the shade is 14 feet tall, and once it's up and the tent's under it, I'm not sure I'll be enthusiastic about taking it down and setting it up again. Though we do have a folding ladder that I was thinking of taking to use as a table. Ok the ladder's definitely coming 8) Thanks!
sharke

Postby dynamohum » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am

I have been hunting for one of these, is this the one I should be looking at?? Also what should I offer? http://www.ebay.com/itm/231133047117?ss ... 1555.l2649
dynamohum

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 am

i bought mine 4 years ago for about $120.00

I haven't used it for 2 years. A monkey huts is much cheaper to build and you get more usable space. Monkey huts can also be broken down quite easily for easy transport.

I would go with a monkey hut :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 am

sharke wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Check on the playa. You are bringing a knife or scissors.

That's a good point, but the problem is the top of the shade is 14 feet tall, and once it's up and the tent's under it, I'm not sure I'll be enthusiastic about taking it down and setting it up again. Though we do have a folding ladder that I was thinking of taking to use as a table. Ok the ladder's definitely coming 8) Thanks!

You can do a dry run at home.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby floydlaw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey folks,

$250-300 is a good price on ebay. You can sometimes find lower, but the prices start skyrocketing come summer. Saw them going for $400-600 last year.

I bought the Guide Gear 20' Party Shade since the North Poles weren't showing up on ebay or craigslist. It survived 2013, but there were a lot of core quality issues with it. The winds weren't strong this year, so it was never really put to the test, but I doubt it would last a couple good blows. It's a cheap alternative, but you'd need to be ready to reinforce the grommets and edges. We used 12" candy cane rebar that kept the corners down after we gorilla taped it up.

You can see my review on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-20-Par ... r%2C+party

Riding around saw a lot of the north poles. They seemed a lot sturdier, if heavier.

All told though, I love the shade teepee as a BM structure. Provides a good amount of space for two folks, allows breeze in, but also provides some privacy.
floydlaw

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 pm

lucky420 wrote:i bought mine 4 years ago for about $120.00

I haven't used it for 2 years. A monkey huts is much cheaper to build and you get more usable space. Monkey huts can also be broken down quite easily for easy transport.

I would go with a monkey hut :coffee:

Lucky.... you come in a box truck, most things ARE easily transportable in a box truck, like long pieces of pvc pipe. These are tricky to transport in a car without a roof rack. Then you also need a place to store them for the rest of the year. The northpole will fit in a closet if you are an apt. dweller, or have limited storage, like people who live in apartments. Regarding useable space, I seldom brush up against the walls of my northpole and get a thorough dusting like I have sitting against the wall of a monkey hut. I like the height, it feels more open to me, circular instead of like a tunnel, and you can see out of it more, all around, instead of just through the ends. I'm a fairly solo camper, though, so maybe it is just the perfect thing for a solo. 5 years with my Northpole, I vote Northpole.
and hey, who's selling this one? It has a picture of my camp in the ebay listing!!!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping