North Pole Party Shade

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

North Pole Party Shade

Postby shroom » Sun May 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Every website I have tried is out of stock on these. Does anyone have a link that is in stock? Or do you know of this tent in another brand I can look for?

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby danibel » Sun May 16, 2010 8:59 pm

A quick search on ebay found a couple for $180 with $25 for shipping. I wonder if the supplier has stopped making them. They were available at both Walmart and Amazon last year. I paid half that for mine. Bummer. =(
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby lucky420 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:11 am

got mine on ebay about 8 weeks ago
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Risky » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

Brought one of these to the playa before.
Consider reinforcing the centerpole.
Had to replace some grommets after the wind tore it up.

This is the thread that prompted me to get one.
viewtopic.php?t=23569&highlight=star+tent
Risky

Postby geospyder » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 am

Our camp will have one this year. If I'm lucky, my tent will be under it.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby LostinReno » Mon May 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Wow! That was fast, we just got ours on Friday, ordered it on Amazon on 5/7/10. Planning to set it up in the backyard to see if all the parts are included.
LostinReno

Postby LostinReno » Mon May 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I just pulled this from Amazon...and it's cheaper than what we paid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm

LostinReno wrote:I just pulled this from Amazon...and it's cheaper than what we paid.

Check the shipping Holly
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby LostinReno » Mon May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

geospyder wrote:
LostinReno wrote:I just pulled this from Amazon...and it's cheaper than what we paid.

Check the shipping Holly

Yeah, I saw that after I posted, still $4 cheaper! :wink: lol!
LostinReno

Postby shroom » Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks for the links!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Postby Token » Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Y'all understand that in the past three years we had some mighty nice weather, right?

The highest sustained wind during the events were all under 30 mph. Highests gusts under 45 mph.

Might be good to bring a tarp or two, some sticks and extra rope, for a "plan B" type of scenario.

Just sayin'
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby thesandman » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 pm

so how do i rig up tarps and poles with rope or paracord with out it going bye bye at 50 mph, i am still new to this have bin looking at different shade setups like the kelty and rei, so far the shade thing has had me looking at lots of online posting and sporting/surplus stores all may work but nothing looks 100% safe but i know its playa and thats part of the fun safety 3rd :lol:
thesandman

Postby LostinReno » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 pm

We'll be testing the North Pole at Pyramid Lake all summer. It should be nice and broke in (or broken) by the time BM arrives. I will keep you posted on it's survival.
LostinReno

Postby Prospero's Ghost » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Looks like this website just received a new shipment of this structure for a pretty good price.
I know the thread is a bit dated, but just wanted to share with everyone in case you were still looking. For a while, I thought this piece had been discontinued. Hope it helps!

http://buyfromhome.com/p-278-northpole- ... -tent.aspx
Prospero's Ghost

Postby Rice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm

thesandman wrote:so how do i rig up tarps and poles with rope or paracord with out it going bye bye at 50 mph, i am still new to this have bin looking at different shade setups like the kelty and rei, so far the shade thing has had me looking at lots of online posting and sporting/surplus stores all may work but nothing looks 100% safe but i know its playa and thats part of the fun safety 3rd :lol:

Ok, it is not the steady wind that will cause problems, but the gusts. If you were to use rope (ratchet straps or whatever) on the lee side of the wind and then use rope with heavy duty bungee straps on the windward side your structure will stay where you put it. Don't forget to use at least 1-1.5 ft rebar on every line. The gusts will cause some flaring of the tarps, but since there is give, you will be ok (if you do not have some give on the ropes the tarps might get torn apart from the gusts). I used this method last year and had no issues. But that was MY experience, last year (2009). If the winds are like it was in 07 your experience could be different. It might help to shelter the whole deal with a vehicle if possible.

I forgot to take a pic of my setup last year, sorry!!

TTFN.,
Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Chessna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Prospero's Ghost wrote:Looks like this website just received a new shipment of this structure for a pretty good price.
I know the thread is a bit dated, but just wanted to share with everyone in case you were still looking. For a while, I thought this piece had been discontinued. Hope it helps!

I actually just bought a North Pole tent from this site and it’s on my way to my house at the moment. All together, it cost $135. The shipping wasn’t too bad considering they’re sending it across the US. I’m a little nervous because it seems a little odd that this is the ONLY place on the internets that has any NPTs. I’ll update this forum once I get it and let you all know if it arrived ok. I have visions of opening the box and pulling out a tiny origami version of the tent!

I’m also bringing 550 cord, gorilla tape, 18in stakes and if space permits, a tarp just in case the wind decides to shred it…

Oh, in case anyone orders it from HOBO, just a warning: It took them about a week to charge my credit card.
Chessna

Postby shroom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I already bought a Kelty shade, but if I get another $135 soon I will order this too! Thanks!
shroom

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 pm

We paid $141 for ours back in May, the only thing missing was one of the little nubby things on the center pole which is easily fixed with a bolt, the stakes that come with it are pretty cheesy, we've replaced those with the 12" kind of V shaped stakes, so far so good!
LostinReno

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:23 pm

read through the old posts, thanks Risky. The idea of shock forces caught my eye, the gusting jerks and yanks. I remembered a rubber line snubber on a boat, and wondered if anyone has ever tried one on a tent line. Sure a boat weighs a lot more Somebody mentioned bungees, and this sparked my interest in the old rubber snubber. Wonder if it would lessen the strain on the grommets. I googled line snubber (watch out for the electronic version) and there are many variations on this theme.

Elorrum

Postby Chessna » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Chessna wrote:I actually just bought a North Pole tent from this site and it’s on my way to my house at the moment. All together, it cost $135. The shipping wasn’t too bad considering they’re sending it across the US. I’m a little nervous because it seems a little odd that this is the ONLY place on the internets that has any NPTs. I’ll update this forum once I get it and let you all know if it arrived ok. I have visions of opening the box and pulling out a tiny origami version of the tent!

I’m also bringing 550 cord, gorilla tape, 18in stakes and if space permits, a tarp just in case the wind decides to shred it…

Oh, in case anyone orders it from HOBO, just a warning: It took them about a week to charge my credit card.

Got the shade structure this weekend...So far, it looks legit. It's really heavy! I'm setting it up next weekend and sealing the seams.
Chessna

Postby bud buddah » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:15 pm

So does anyone think this would hold up as well as a monkey hut to wind?The easy setup is mighty tempting. I'd be tempted to get one and use rebar and bungee balls for securing it, to see if it would last in hight wind.
It also seems like the monkey hut might add a bit of protection from the wind, at least on 2 sides. This shade is pretty much wide open to the wind.
Bud
bud buddah

Postby Prospero's Ghost » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:18 pm

We used this in 08 with rebar and didn't have any problems. I know that there have definitely been stronger winds on the playa in the past, but it seems that enough people over the years have successfully used this as a dependable structure...

Using it again this year...
Prospero's Ghost

North Pole 30x30 Tents long discontinued

Postby copilot602 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Looked EVERYWHERE on line and followed like 80 links - all discontinued! Finally called the company. They stopped making them in 2007 because companies were not ordering them! Guess that was why Walmart blew them out last year for $88!

Managed to find one on-line for about $130. Hope it is worth all the hype!
copilot602

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:23 pm

glad you found one...damn i'm glad i found one too.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jennytoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Too bad they've been discontinued. For an off-the-shelf shade structure, they're really fairly good.

My thoughts from last year: Nice and solid, but minimal room underneath compared to the footprint they require. They have a 30' diameter, but due to the angle of the sides, you lose almost half of that for anything but storage/laying down. Several camps in our area had these, including ours. We didn't bother guying it down due to the shape, and it survived the week - and we had it on an unprotected corner (5:30 & H). Neighbors dome (admittedly a bit of a sketchy dome) collapsed in the winds; spent the next few days a piece of modern art.

The only actual damage it took was when I was taking a stake out, I pulled out a non-structural loop in the middle of one of the doors.

The last day it took a pretty heavy beating from continual gusts of wind, and the center pole was leaning slightly because it hadn't been nailed down as tight as it could have been, but otherwise it was fine.

I'd worry about the three poles that extend to support the arches over the doors. They're small, and the fabric isn't taut there. There are guy loops above each door and while we didn't guy ours down, I would advise guying it at least on the windward side, to help give it a little extra support from the wind.

The center pole is a fairly heavy duty steel pole. My only concern there would be if the wind was strong enough that it managed to push one of the three arch support poles in enough to cause the center pole to collapse. Again, guying it over the doors should help prevent that.

Really good shade structure for the money.
jennytoo

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 pm

I slid some 3/4" (I think... whatever fits over these poles...) pvc pipe over the three top extender poles to reinforce them. Just happened to have the pipe, and figured, what the hell.
Elorrum

Postby jennytoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Elorrum wrote:I slid some 3/4" (I think... whatever fits over these poles...) pvc pipe over the three top extender poles to reinforce them. Just happened to have the pipe, and figured, what the hell.

Not a bad idea, as they're fairly lightweight poles, although I personally worry more about where they connect to the fabric, and if they can push into the center pole enough to cause it to kink. The latter would be impressive, but since the extender poles provide a direct means to transfer wind force to the midsection of the upright, I wouldn't rule it out.
jennytoo

Postby CorvusMechanicus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Prospero's Ghost wrote:Looks like this website just received a new shipment of this structure for a pretty good price.

Augh, so I found this same site the other day, and due to funds being unavailable at the time.

Now this link seems totally fukaroonied. Loads like half of everything with no images or buttons to buy.

Seriously bummed.
CorvusMechanicus

Postby SilverOrange » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Just wanted to say thanks PG. Have wanted one of these for a couple of years now and am glad I managed to get one before they sold out! Come by Camp Tsunami and I'll buy you a beer.
SilverOrange

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:04 pm

unjonharley posted that he was thinking of selling his. Anybody interested should contact him.
Elorrum

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping