Car/RV rentals -How do I keep them clean and not brokedown!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Car/RV rentals -How do I keep them clean and not brokedown!

Postby tarabara » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 am

Hi! It's my second Burn, after a hiatus of a few years.

Last time I drove from California in my friend's VW hatchback, and it was a disaster! On the day we were to drive out of Burning Man, the car was filled with dust (and I don't think it's ever been the same) and it broke down in the desert! (I'll save you the very long and nightmarish-admittedly funny- story)

So this year I am flying in from Canada, either to Nevada (because its closer), or to California (for a scenic roadtrip), and we are going to rent a car or RV to drive there. We will have to buy a bunch of supplies once there (food, water, etc), because we can't take much on the plane with us.

[b]My question is[/b]: What advice can you give us on renting a car for Burning Man?
This is the one thing that is driving us crazy, and as soon as we figure it out, we can buy our plane tickets.

-How do we keep the rental clean and un-broken-down, so not to be charged an arm and a leg after?
-Will they not rent to me if they know I'm going to Burning Man?
-Do I have to book rental way ahead of time, because lots of Burners will be renting too?
-If we fly into Reno, or Las Vegas, will it be hellish for getting supplies so close to Burning Man?

Thousands of people must be renting cars/U-Hauls/rvs, so how do you do it?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
tarabara

Re: Car/RV rentals -How do I keep them clean and not brokedo

Postby LostinReno » Mon May 10, 2010 8:42 am

tarabara wrote:Hi! It's my second Burn, after a hiatus of a few years.

Last time I drove from California in my friend's VW hatchback, and it was a disaster! On the day we were to drive out of Burning Man, the car was filled with dust (and I don't think it's ever been the same) and it broke down in the desert! (I'll save you the very long and nightmarish-admittedly funny- story)

So this year I am flying in from Canada, either to Nevada (because its closer), or to California (for a scenic roadtrip), and we are going to rent a car or RV to drive there. We will have to buy a bunch of supplies once there (food, water, etc), because we can't take much on the plane with us.

My question is: What advice can you give us on renting a car for Burning Man?
This is the one thing that is driving us crazy, and as soon as we figure it out, we can buy our plane tickets.

-How do we keep the rental clean and un-broken-down, so not to be charged an arm and a leg after?
-Will they not rent to me if they know I'm going to Burning Man?
-Do I have to book rental way ahead of time, because lots of Burners will be renting too?
-If we fly into Reno, or Las Vegas, will it be hellish for getting supplies so close to Burning Man?

Thousands of people must be renting cars/U-Hauls/rvs, so how do you do it?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

There are a gazillion threads on this subject, you might want to run a search. If you haven't rented an RV/Car by now....good luck with that, keep in mind it is also Labor Day weekend (many other events going on in Reno/Tahoe). You may have a little better luck the further away from BM. Second answer Reno=120miles to BM, give or take. Las Vegas=450miles to BM give or take. Las Vegas is nowhere near BM. Reno & Fernley prepares for burners. You will have no problems getting supplies, most local businesses have been doing this for years.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby tarabara » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 am

tarabara

Postby CapSmashy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:17 pm

For a rental car, buy the damage waiver insurance.

Return a dirty car? No problem, you got the insurance. If you can return a car in pieces on a flatbed and walk away from it without a worry, you can return one filled with Playa.

If you are road tripping it in and plan on sight seeing and such, you may want to get personal effects coverage as well. If your car is stuffed with goodies, it can be mighty tempting to a passer by with a nefarious intent.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Return to Shelter & Camping