Good easy Shade setups

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 6:00 pm

i had some 2in angle iron so i cut some 1in pieces and welded them on.I ground all the sharp edges smooth so it would be a challange to cut yourself on one of these. Plus im not putting them away from the tarp where they would be easy to trip over.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby pacifico » Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm

[quote="Badawg"][quote="danibel"]NPPT. (North Pole Party Tent)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... biz2000-20

How did it handle the wind? I bought one of those last year and used it for a local shindig. I like it a lot but didn't think it was playa ready...[/quote]

We saw several of these around our camp area last year. They all got shredded. It was unbelieveable. They were set up with such care and good anchors. The wind just took them out. Shredded the panels themselves. After seeing this, we decided no to our thought of maybe getting one. They look beautiful.
pacifico

Postby danibel » Mon May 03, 2010 2:21 pm

My NPPT did awesome last year. We used candy caned rebar and deer fence stakes (rebar). The only casualty of the tent was the that the lame inner shade cloth (it had little hooks) totally broke. The North Pole Party Tent didn't rip and barely leaned in the wind. I did see people using zacto knives to cut slits in them. I guess they thought they should. I didn't and it was fine. I am taking mine again this year. Not sure if I will need to set up as I am also going in a cargo van and with a camp, but I'm confident it will be fine again.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 pm

UPDATE.........wind got to 50mph and everything held just dandy. Now to finish the nomesh tent and see if it will act the same.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby thesandman » Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 pm

looks like its hard to get a Shade set up that will last under high winds with out tying to a truck or van or Rv, or is their a way to make one that just lets all the wind pass on thru like its not their.
thesandman

Postby EmilyD » Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 pm

FIGJAM wrote:i had some 2in angle iron so i cut some 1in pieces and welded them on.I ground all the sharp edges smooth so it would be a challange to cut yourself on one of these. Plus im not putting them away from the tarp where they would be easy to trip over.

Ah, damnit I was afraid welding would be involved. Oh well, we'll make some rebar candy canes then. But your stakes are mighty purdy FIGJAM. ;-)
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 04, 2010 12:01 am

thesandman wrote:looks like its hard to get a Shade set up that will last under high winds with out tying to a truck or van or Rv, or is their a way to make one that just lets all the wind pass on thru like its not their.

What the guy who designed our shade structure told us is that a low peak, or better yet, flat top tarp that's highly reflective (silver etc.) that is connected by tension to posts and cables, as well as tightly staked down would work best. He pointed out that the wind mostly moves sideways and having low or no peak offers less resistance. For the sides we're going to use shade cloth which will cut down somewhat on the dust but let the wind through. Our biggest challenge is finding fence top railing that is taller than the peak of our trailer.
EmilyD

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 am

Could you use pool noodles on top of the trailer along both edges to give a 4 in gap then angle the shade down to the shorter poles? I would gorilla tape the noodles in place so they dont shift.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elorrum » Tue May 04, 2010 5:25 pm

"a "wheel" eh? is that what you call it, a wheeeel? I think I can do better than that."
Elorrum

Postby thesandman » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 pm

the NPPT looks good but sounds like its not %100 stable looks like i may need to hang under figjam shade at noon time
thesandman

Postby sambojones » Thu May 06, 2010 7:52 pm

i dunno i think i'm going with the north pole party tent there's a couple of good reviews from burners on amazon and lot of ppl around eplaya like em too they can't all be wrong :shock: i hope lol....
sambojones

Postby thesandman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm

so if i get the NPPT i will have to use the 12’’ mill stake looks like to be safe and may be add the solar lights going to need lots of mill stakes looks like now for every thing.
thesandman

Postby LostinReno » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 am

sambojones wrote:i dunno i think i'm going with the north pole party tent there's a couple of good reviews from burners on amazon and lot of ppl around eplaya like em too they can't all be wrong :shock: i hope lol....

We just bought one from Amazon, for the price, I'm thinking it will be worth a shot?? We're taking it on a test run to Pyramid Lake in a few weeks and will let you all know.
Anything is better than the parachute debacle we endured last year. :x
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am

LostinReno wrote:
sambojones wrote:i dunno i think i'm going with the north pole party tent there's a couple of good reviews from burners on amazon and lot of ppl around eplaya like em too they can't all be wrong :shock: i hope lol....

We just bought one from Amazon, for the price, I'm thinking it will be worth a shot?? We're taking it on a test run to Pyramid Lake in a few weeks and will let you all know.
Anything is better than the parachute debacle we endured last year. :x

Gee - and I was going to bring a large trama kit this year just for the parachute - just in case :shock:
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby EmilyD » Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am

FIGJAM wrote:Could you use pool noodles on top of the trailer along both edges to give a 4 in gap then angle the shade down to the shorter poles? I would gorilla tape the noodles in place so they dont shift.

Yeah I was thinking of pool noodles. The tape issue is tricky though because I've carefully painted the trailer with a Necco wafer roof. I don't want to fuck up the paint. Duct Tape would be less damaging but not sure it would hold...? I could maybe try to wire the noodles down.
EmilyD

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Breaking streagth of duct tape is 35 pounds. Gorilla tape is 85 pounds and i dont think its as messy or as suseptable to heat falure, but i could be wrong.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Plyay Staples

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Does someone have an image of Playa staples and info on how to use/find/make them? Thanks.
EmilyD

Playa Staples

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Does someone have an image of Playa staples and info on how to use/find/make them? Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby Bounce530 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm

TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Bounce530 wrote:http://www.theblacksmithshop.com/playastaples.html

EXCELLENT! Thanks so much Bounce530!
EmilyD

Postby thesandman » Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 am

how do the Playa Staples compare to the 9’’ or 12’’ Army Tent Stake
thesandman

Postby EmilyD » Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Could you use pool noodles on top of the trailer along both edges to give a 4 in gap then angle the shade down to the shorter poles? I would gorilla tape the noodles in place so they dont shift.

Sorry FIGJAM I never answered this. Yes, we will be putting pool noodles on top of the trailer and we're building the shade structure at least a foot taller (maybe two) than the peak to minimize flapping. Plus, we have earplugs. :-)
EmilyD

Postby Bob » Fri May 21, 2010 7:42 am

thesandman wrote:how do the Playa Staples compare to the 9’’ or 12’’ Army Tent Stake

I'd guess either would be okay for small to medium sized tents or awnings. Military stakes are lighter and nest together for packing, and the staples might be easier to tie onto and pry out.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Good link, plus Question for you guys

Postby TobeWilde » Sat May 22, 2010 10:14 pm

I bought a Delta canopy pop-up shade thingie last year (I think they use the word structure or something :? ) I thought their prices were not bad, really...I'm driving in, so it's doable. go to deltacanopy.com. I like 'em bc they have weighted side-walls too.

:?: for all you -- unfortunately the canopy I bought last year (oh - I didn't come to Burning Man last year and use it...this is my FIRST year) is black and I'm thinking this will be extremely hot - am I thinking right, or am I thinking wrong? I can't decide! Someone with experience please tell me & set me straight.

Oh, I have a separate two room tent for sleeping, the canopy/shade structure is for socializing - floor covered with green turf. Does that sound like an okay plan?

Thanks, Playa-mates!
TobeWilde

Postby thesandman » Sat May 22, 2010 11:23 pm

i have gone out and got a REI alcove on sell today well test it out next weekend see how it holds
thesandman

Re: Good link, plus Question for you guys

Postby Bob » Sat May 22, 2010 11:32 pm

TobeWilde wrote:...unfortunately the canopy I bought last year...is black and I'm thinking this will be extremely hot - am I thinking right, or am I thinking wrong?...

Black or whatever color, all your shade gets coated with dust.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping