Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
I would like to set up some sort of kitesurfing event at pyramid lake during burning man. Must be great to meet some kite addicts and share a couple of unforgettable moments on this crystal clear lake in the middle of the desert!!!!
- kiting on the playa is restricted to 9 o'clock zone and the sand can be darn hard to land on
- winds seem to be quite consistent and strong enough for a 9-12m rig
- it seems to be unclaimed kitesurfing territory (at least not claimed by any dutch!)
- from what it looks like from the highway the shore is accessible quite easily, it should be good enough for a 2 person launch, not for self launch
- must be nice to be out of the dust and into the water for at least once!
- it is only a short drive from the playa?
- what's better to battle the hangover then kiting?
- who wants to join??
- it it easy to leave and re-enter the playa? I'd guess this is not happening frequenltly, maybe there are some strict regulations applicable?
- are there any other restrictions or whatever I should consider?
What's in it for me?
- prize money is a bit below PKRA and not quite the burning man spirit, so: an icecream for the biggest kiteloop :)
Hope this post attracts some dare-devil kiters, would be great to hear from you!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am
Re-entry is possible, but discouraged. $20 per person.
Use of the lake requires a permit from the reservation. I know the camping permit is $5. There may be restrictions on where you can launch. They have contact information in the survival guide I think, but I'd have to look it up and now that's your job.
- Posts: 17886
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
- Location: Wild, Wild West
- Burning Since: 2001
- Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Department of tethered aviation (DOTA) would likely have relevant info for you...
- Posts: 2153
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am
- Location: Shangri-la
- Burning Since: 1999
- Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge
Dutch wrote:- it is only a short drive from the playa?
Actually its about a 150 mile round trip from BRC to Sutcliffe Marina over a notorious highway.Could be a short drive for you but if I was into kite surfing would probably just hit Pyramid when leaving event for good.
Well it's not something I want to do on an overseas phone.............................Omar Suarez
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:56 am
- Location: Socialist Bloc
- Burning Since: 1999
- Camp Name: club neu verboten
Return to Shelter & Camping
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: silas thatcher and 5 guests