Idea's for Keeping heat OUT of tent!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Idea's for Keeping heat OUT of tent!

Postby Sway1080 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am

Hey all!!!

Me and my sister just bought our tickets for BM 2010!! Woo!! Soo excited!

We both had the priviledge to attend for a few days back in 2007! She knew some people who had a camp and we basically flew from Toronto Canada, grabbed what supplies we thought we'd need etc and made our way there! Was the best time EVER!!

Now that I know what to expect I was wanting to ask...People who are camping but will not have any means of shade for their tent..what are some good ideas to keep the heat OUT of the tent? I would only get a couple of hours sleep because the sun would BEAT down ontop of the tent and the heat was almost unbareable inside!! :oops:

Any ideas/things I can do to a tent to reflect the heat away? This is just for the morning hours because the rest of the day we wont be in the tent! :D

Thanks all!
Sway1080

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 am

the best way is to put yer tent under shade. This isn't always the easiest, especially when flying from America Jr.

ive heard of people making panels outta that shiny safety blanket stuff...but i would imagine that would be hard to secure...i dunno get some shade
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Token » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:41 am

If I was to ever fly in, here is what I'd do:

Fly into Sacramento.
Rent a cargo van.
Purchase a nice 24'x 24' sheet of 70% aluminet.
Purchase a 12' x 12' piece of duvetyn/commando cloth. (stage curtain material - tight weave cotton)
Some 3/4 inch soft conduit and rebar caps for spreader bars.
Dozen or so 12" nails.
Couple spools of strong nylon braided rope.
Dozen or so heavy binder clips.

1. Get a large vehicle with big profile; cargo van is best, but an SUV would do.
2. Park vehicle in such a way as to have the passenger side facing sunrise.
3. Build tent as close as possible to vehicles driver side so that it is in shade from morning sun.
4. Drape duvetyn/commando cloth or other suitable light blackout material over tent and attach with binder clips. should get really dark in tent.
5. Attach aluminet to vehicle on driver side and pull over tent.
6. Spread out the aluminet and nail to playa.
7. Use conduit to prop-up aluminet and create ~ 2' headroom over tent. This should also provide tension for the aluminet.
8. close the side flaps of aluminet by tying to a point to vehicle. Short bungees work good for this.
9. Use rope to guy your stuff down at conduit points near edge (more tension).

10. Pull out chair, PBR and a good Colorado Rye Whiskey. Share with neighbors

Why aluminet? Tarps are cheap.

> aluminet is lightweight, not noisy in the wind, creates cool shade, is knit so wont tear and run, is stretchy and can be tensioned, and a 24'x24' sheet can fold down to a size of a folded t-shirt.

Why this Duvetyn/Commando Cloth thing? Why not a blanket?

Blanket is fine if your tent doesn't collapse under it. Duvetyn is designed for theater and blocks the sun rays while being very light. Also, if you do not want to lug it back home, any fire performer will take it off your hands. Easy to give away. You could use blackout curtain material from any craft store but it comes in white and is less desirable and heavier.

And the best thing of all; you can engineer and set all this stuff up before hand and field test it camping somewhere before you pack it all up on a plane.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

The very easiest way is to pitch in the lee of someone else's (truck/structure/tent/van) so that it blocks the morning sun. Or research polyphasic sleep- sleep 2 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternoon in a hammock somewhere, 2 in the evening...
trystanthegypsy

Return to Shelter & Camping