DO RV's Make Us Bad Burners?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

DO RV's Make Us Bad Burners?

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 am

Newbie coming from a place of moisture and humidity with a passel of comrades. We're so looking forward to it, we have enjoyed many festivals and camping outings together and we have always enjoyed entertaining those camping around us with our pyrotechenery and toys. Now we expect to be wowed by a bunch of pros, but we'll still be bringing our A-Play game. We had planned on an RV because our swampitized bodies will probably shrivel up in the desert, and because we have lots of stuff we want to bring, because we have enough people to make it affordable, and because we wouldn't mind getting some cool sleep in the daytime. We're planning on being there the whole event, so a little comfort is something we all agreed we want. Unfortunately, a west coast burner friend of mine is giving me lots of shit. It's so "anti-BM" to rent and RV and "I wouldn't have expected that from you". :cry:

Is he right? Are we already bad burners? Must we sleep outside to "get it"? Is renting an RV instead of buying a bus just too uncool to bear?

He made me feel bad, tell me its ok, or tell me he's right.

And thanks for the many entertaining reads, y'all make looking forward to this event tremendous fun!
swamp monster

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 am

No, not "bad burners."

"Posers."
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 am

Just because there are a bunch of losers out there who can't afford an RV, doesn't mean that they wouldn't if they could.

No difference between having one or sleeping in a tent, besides the obvious comforts provided by an RV.

The majority of people who do anything big out there are in RVs or trailors.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am

It doesn't matter what you sleep IN. It just matter that you get OUT of it and onto the playa. RV's allow for comforts that a tent just can't provide and you might, might make a choice to seek them rather than push yourself to get out on a less than stellar day. I brought a trailer last year for the first time and found myself lingering in it longer and heading for it quicker than in years past. I had a little chat with myself mid-week and stopped the habit. But it's your burn; you are free to do whatever you wish, and your west coast "friend" can pound salt. Enjoy and see you there!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

IMHO:
unless you're out there sleeping in skins of animals you killed with bare hands or a stick, and, eating "brine shrimp" caught on site or the animals you skinned for clothes.........you're using "technology" to be comfortable.

So then, it's just a "matter of degrees" as far as discussing what you "should or shouldn't" bring or use.........

Turn the A/C on high, take a nap, and, smile when your friends walk by.
maybe, set a shower head on your grey water tank if they'd like to shower........but, don't let 'em in......

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 am

There's a crapload of RVs. Do whatever the hell you want. Most important thing is to survive the week. :)

The only downside to an RV is that it makes you somewhat unapproachable to your neighbors.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 am

Oh we definitely have plans to be outside, much enjoyable time, thought, and energy is being put into the construction and decoration of shade structures, art, etc. Looking forward to lazy mornings in the shade watching the world go by and offering strangers coffee. I have never even stayed in an RV before, so this is pretty deluxe, but it also sounds fun, like a boat with a patio.

Would building a (properly marked) bike ramp be a terrible idea? Not a half pipe, just a simple whoopseedoodle.
swamp monster

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 am

Dr Helix wrote:It doesn't matter what you sleep IN. It just matter that you get OUT of it and onto the playa. RV's allow for comforts that a tent just can't provide and you might, might make a choice to seek them rather than push yourself to get out on a less than stellar day.

That's true. My camp wasn't terribly comfortable and rather than sit around baking, I would go out riding during the day, and explore. If I had a nice comfy place to spend the days, I would've missed out.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Blurt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am

I RV it and this is my third year - BUT I don't run the air con, I keep the beast closed up tight to try to keep the dust down, I don't shower because the grey tank fills up too fast, and I don't use the toilet because it stinks. Needless to say, most of my time is spent outside under shade.

The best thing about an rv? A mattress to sleep on and the fridge and freezer. Nothing beats offering popsicles to people.
Blurt

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25 am

It is an often observed tendency of RV campers to hang out inside them rather than interact with their neighbors. RV campers also frequently miss out on the random stranger interactions that happen when people run into your shade structure to shelter from the heat or dust.

Camping in an RV isn't unburnerly, but it can become a bit antisocial. Just be careful.

And be considerate with the placement and operating hours of your effing generator. Baffle it.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 am

Art challenge: sew a giant RV cozy cover so it looks nifty and not like every other RV out there. I know it can be done, I've seen it. At least I'm assuming that was an RV under that giant pink rabbit....

Or set up a "front porch" with chairs and such so you can interact with people on the street.

Genius is right, baffle that bitch.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am

I too go up in an RV, always have. In my 11 years I have never used the shower, if for no other reason than Barbie Death Camp has a shower that runs electrically so you can get clean. And besides, showering outside is so very Burning Man. We do not take shits in the RV; that's what porto-potties are for, though we do piss in there. We hand out over 200 Otter Pops during the week, and that takes refridgeration, hense the need for an RV. We do not spend much time inside since, generally speaking, the action is outside. But we can escape from the noise and dust storms if we choose, crank up the A/C and give massages, fire up the microwave and hand out pizza, and pretty much have a great week. But then again, we are not a bunch of filthy hippies.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 pm

We actually [i]are[/i] filthy hippies, hence the novelty of the RV. Especially the part where we get to climb on top of it. Yes, we'll invite the neighbors and offer them cocktails.

Thanks for the input, I don't think being inside too much is going to be too tempting for this crew but definitely something to be aware of.
swamp monster

Don't obey

Postby Zhust » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

An RV has certain things that imply behaviors. For instance, it probably has an awning out the side by the door, encouraging you to pull it out and sit under it. I say: avoid letting the RV dictate your behavior. To me, I think I'd have a sucky time if I spent a thousand bucks to go to Burning Man and then experienced it like it's a state park.

Like I come with an old cabin tent that I've rigged to survive the wind for 3 years. Although it was designed as a shelter and portable home, but I try to just use it for storage and sleeping. I try to have a shade structure and some tables and such for people to hang out. I've not been very good at it, but I try -- and I think this year I have an angle on things that may help me make it inviting rather than spartan. (It's mythology, which is missing from my experience and communication, even though I know people including myself crave it.)

Another part of what I've found rewarding about Burning Man is challenging myself beyond guaranteed success. The chance of things not working out as you planned, and needing to figure out how to make it happen (and needing to ask strangers for help) is a part of Burning Man that I think is truly beautiful. RV's, by design, are a kind of "sure bet" compared to trying to make something to live in. Plus, if something does go wrong, I personally would not be excited about repairing some dumb rental RV. I'd bust my ass for a some else's home-made yurt, but bought stuff is just boring to me.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Actually, I had assumed that the pull out RV shade would just blow away so was out of the question.

We're definitely having fun planning our outdoor space, etc, hoping to make it inviting and easy on the eye. Some kinda decoration for the giant tin can is part of that, but we're seeing it as a background structure that we'll duck into for supplies and sleep.

One more question....BBQ grilling outside.....no one mentions it. Is this because the wind will blow and it will catch everything on fire and get our food all crunchy? Is a little portable weber doable?
swamp monster

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Grilling is actually quite common. I would suggest you use a propane grill rather than charcoal. That creates a serious disposal problem. For the rare occasions we have hot food and for making coffee we have a propane camp stove, but a deck BBQ would work just fine, and plenty of people bring them. Has to be on a drop cloth (recommend canvas) or board to prevent drippings hitting the playa, and you need to pay attention to wind direction when choosing a position for it. It can't build up much heat if it's not shielded from the wind, but you don't want it too close to flammable structures, either.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks genius, dripping cloth, good call.
swamp monster

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Cleaning a rental RV is a bitch! It is a monumental task that takes a full day for many people who don't want to loose their deposit or more.

Drink lots of water! Hydrate! Drink a little before hitting the gate but once through the gate start guzzling it! Your body will have a 2 to 3 day acclimation to the playa and you will require lots of water then and just about as much after. Always carry water. It is part of being radically self reliant. Always carry a cup too. Whenever I leave camp I carry a survival pack with water and at least half a days worth of food in the form of trail mix or energy bars. I also carry a bandanna and other practical stuff like sunscreen. Tools too. I like to fix stuff.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm

A spork or chopsticks, an essential item to carry.

We did bring our regular deck BBQ propane grill the first couple of years, it still has playa dust in the cracks a decade later, and odd loose screws. We switched to a small butane stove for a while, but have found the propane stove to be the most useful. Well, there was the time the valve broke and I walked into a propane filled shade structure... but I turned it off and that was that. Good thing we don't have smokers in camp! And BoyToy did try to blow up the shade structure with the butane and melted the snow camo.

I do agree, charcoal is a pain in the ass.

I do teriyaki chicken some years (I have to be coaxed, I'm lazy). I cook it up and freeze the portions wrapped in foil and double bagged. Just roll them out on the hot grill and you're golden. And hot dogs? Yum when you're craving hot protein. Precooked meats are safer, since we do iced coolers, I don't like to deal with raw meats. You won't have this much of an issue with a freezer. Choose carefully what you will bring.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I can't say enough good things about bringing some sort of RV to Burning Man. It's priceless to sleep in darkness, freezing your ass off under your blanket, during the hottest part of the day while everyone else is out there "surviving" and hydrating, etc. Screw that, I come out in the evening and night time!

But - Motsyronnmatick is right. Cleaning a rental post-BM is a monumental task! If you have a truck to pull it with, an older trailer is a much easier alternative.

Burning Man once was very predominantly tents. Somewhere around '02 - '03 the RVs started taking over. Now, I think I'd say it's mostly RVs. So don't worry about being un-burny if you bring one.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby cosmicdancer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm

AntiM wrote:Art challenge: sew a giant RV cozy cover so it looks nifty and not like every other RV out there. I know it can be done, I've seen it. At least I'm assuming that was an RV under that giant pink rabbit....

Or set up a "front porch" with chairs and such so you can interact with people on the street.

Genius is right, baffle that bitch.

That's the plan (to decorate the RV). My friend and I are going to discuss ideas, but aside from possibly adding shade at times, we can be creative too.

I like the idea of chairs (foldable beach style chairs). Oh, and since I read Tarot cards, my plan is to have a Tarot reading "booth" of sorts. We shall see.

An RV offers many amenities that can help make the experience less harsh (a bed, your own bathroom, etc). But, who wants to waste time in there RV? I'll be in mine only to clean up (when I don't use the sun shower), to change, to get things out of the tiny fridge or the cooler and to sleep.

I also think it's important to be respectable when you have an RV. You know, when you have 50,000 neighbors.
cosmicdancer

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:10 pm

42,000 of them have RVs too. Don't worry about it.
Captain Goddammit

Postby cosmicdancer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:11 pm

^ EXACTLY :).
cosmicdancer

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 pm

If your RV has a built in awning, be sure to secure it to the playa with rope or guy wire, lest you lose your RV's awning.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby cosmicdancer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

^ I've also been advised to not use that at all due to windy conditions. Is it best to use a tarp instead?
cosmicdancer

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Use it if you want to, just don't try to put it up in windy conditions, and be sure to tie it down somehow.
oneeyeddick

Postby Sail Man » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 am

ygmir wrote:Turn the A/C on high, take a nap, and, smile when your friends walk by. maybe, set a shower head on your grey water tank if they'd like to shower........but, don't let 'em in...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Doesnt turning on the a/c increase the flicker factor of the interior lights? :wink:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 am

Not at all. These aren't sailboats!
:)
Captain Goddammit

Postby teardropper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 am

Naw, not a bad burner. Most of the negatives were covered. I camp a lot in campgrounds (boondock a lot, too) with my teardrop trailer and see a lot of motorhomes. After the evening meal when I'm firing up the camp fire, they are retiring to the safety of the motorhome to, what, watch TV? Similar at BM, the A/C is on and they stay inside. Rows of 'em. I bought an old RV, real old, and got no A/C or gennie on purpose. I have D cell fans inside for when I need to be inside, but spend my camp time under the shade structure. It's only 8 days and I can spend time inside somewhere else. Be courteous with your gennie. Depending on what kind it is you may have to baffle it. I park my motorhome where I can provide wind break for the tenters in camp. They don't seem to mind. I think the key is to be a good neighbor.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Tent/sleep outside at night...RV interiors can get noisy with folks coming and going at all hours. Set up a 3-4 gal garden sprayer in the shower stall for showers...plenty sufficient. Don't use the toilet...use the porta pots...nothing like a backed up turd to ruin your week.

After Burn cleanup of a rental not that bad...we do it from 7 AM to 10:30 AM in time for an 11 AM turn in...just assign one person for each section (BR, bathroom, kitchen, cab...and don't forget outside top and engine compartment.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping