Sharing my shelter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Sharing my shelter

Postby Turnip » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am

This past year, we tried the tent inside of a tent idea.
Only we took it further, and added more insulation (blankets) to the inner tent and added an air conditioning unit. Yes, this included cutting a hole in both tents.
We expected it to work decently, and keep the temperature somewhere below "painfully sweltering" but it worked almost too well! During day time naps with the unit running, it got downright cold! Let me tell you, it was very refreshing.
Better yet, it was a half ass structure. It took minimal planning ("What if we like...stuffed your tent inside that tent and like...air conditioned it?") and with enough tesa tape, we didn't have to worry about the wind tearing it apart or extra dust getting in around the unit. It was also big enough for three of us, plus all our food, bedding and clothing.

I've seen every thread here so far talking about careful planning, I thought I'd throw my half assed miracle shelter out there for others to laugh and marvel at. :lol:

Anyone else have a similar shelter or experience to share?
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby djaded » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 am

What kind of AC unit and power supply did you use?
It's those Swedes again....get the hose.
djaded

Postby Turnip » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 pm

djaded wrote:What kind of AC unit and power supply did you use?

We used a midsize generator and a normal window unit air conditioner.
Turnip

Postby Sham » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:57 am

Some years I have dwelled on things like an elaborate heated shower setup, and found myself bringing a huge amount of equipment to support it. I realized the next year that a shower bag heated on the roof of a car in the sun worked just as well. My question for you is, was it worth the effort bringing the AC unit with a generator and would you do it again?

This is also related to people who bring their own toilet contraptions so they don't have to use the public porta-potties, only to find themselves at the other end of the city when the need arises. Do they find the public facilities easier than dealing with disposing of bags of their own waste? :roll:
Sham

Postby Turnip » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 am

Shambala wrote:Some years I have dwelled on things like an elaborate heated shower setup, and found myself bringing a huge amount of equipment to support it. I realized the next year that a shower bag heated on the roof of a car in the sun worked just as well. My question for you is, was it worth the effort bringing the AC unit with a generator and would you do it again?
This is also related to people who bring their own toilet contraptions so they don't have to use the public porta-potties, only to find themselves at the other end of the city when the need arises. Do they find the public facilities easier than dealing with disposing of bags of their own waste? :roll:

It was definitely worth it. There was minimal carrying involved, and since we were already needing to bring a Uhaul, it didn't take up that much space.
Also, like I said it was very refreshing to be able to lay down and take a nap without sweating my ass off. We also made friends ("Oh hey, you guys got air conditioning?") because of it, and when my campmate got horrible sunburn to the point where he was sick the air conditioning was a life saver.

I would do it again, definitely.
Turnip

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:38 am

I've said it probably an annoying number of times... A/C on the playa is the greatest! There's nothing better than having a chilly place to escape the mid-day heat for a nice nap. No amount of shade and fans and insulation works nearly as well. Just make sure you get a quiet generator, a Yamaha or a Honda.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 am

I had a battery operated fan and was just fine. As long as cool air from outside was breezing through, it was OK. Cooler there than out in the sun.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 am

I love living in AZ. It's not nearly as hot on the playa as it is here in the asphalt jungle of Phoenix. And i get to hear people bitching about the BEAUTIFUL weather at BM and laugh to myself.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:48 am

batteries :D
gerlachedNloaded

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 am

Fire_Moose wrote:I love living in AZ. It's not nearly as hot on the playa as it is here in the asphalt jungle of Phoenix. And i get to hear people bitching about the BEAUTIFUL weather at BM and laugh to myself.

I really enjoyed the lack of humidity. Going from 100+ degrees with 100% humidity to 80 or 90, with no humidity, was quite nice.
C.f.M.

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 am

how's this idea (feel free to chastize)... buy one of those multi AC converters for a vehicle (ebay 15.00) and plug it in to your vehicles cig lighter , then route the cord out to your sleeping structure and plug in as many fans in as you want! start the vehicle every so often to keep the battery charged.. good? no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

oh, and would walkies be un-burner like to keep in contact with your campmates when they wander off? sorry for the virgin questions :oops:
gerlachedNloaded

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 am

gerlachedNloaded wrote:how's this idea (feel free to chastize)... buy one of those multi AC converters for a vehicle (ebay 15.00) and plug it in to your vehicles cig lighter , then route the cord out to your sleeping structure and plug in as many fans in as you want! start the vehicle every so often to keep the battery charged.. good? no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

oh, and would walkies be un-burner like to keep in contact with your campmates when they wander off? sorry for the virgin questions :oops:

you gotta be careful with A/C inverters.......there is a wide variation in quality and capacity........
And, understanding not only is there a power in-power out equation, but, a certain amount of loss in conversion.......

Walkie-Talkies are good, but realize you may not be the only person on any given channel........
also, part, for some, of the magic of "the playa" is not being in contact, no schedule......getting "lost" is sometimes when you have the most amazing experiences........"playa moments" as such.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:47 am

ygmir wrote:...."playa moments" as such.......

is that when you remember about the camp/event you HAD to go visit as you are in the exodus line?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:58 am

guess i'll have to just be careful with that inverter.. use it only when necessary..
I hear ya on the getting lost part.. i've tossed the walkie idea up and down a few hundred times for that reason alone. Being newbs maybe its a good idea the first time.. so when i'm "not in my right mind", naked, and flailing about the playa at 3 am chasing the purple donkey car that magically flies away.. i'll have a lifeline :lol: i digress
gerlachedNloaded

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am

gerlachedNloaded wrote:guess i'll have to just be careful with that inverter.. use it only when necessary..
I hear ya on the getting lost part.. i've tossed the walkie idea up and down a few hundred times for that reason alone. Being newbs maybe its a good idea the first time.. so when i'm "not in my right mind", naked, and flailing about the playa at 3 am chasing the purple donkey car that magically flies away.. i'll have a lifeline :lol: i digress

IMHO............that's the best time not to be "found"............or rescued......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:15 am

out "there" i guess not! i'm still operating circa the asphalt jungle :wink:
gerlachedNloaded

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 am

yeah, wander.......there's a big orange fence to tell you when to stop,,,,,,and, if you get past that, I'll find you on the early perimeter shift and bring you back.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:23 am

ygmir wrote:yeah, wander.......there's a big orange fence to tell you when to stop,,,,,,and, if you get past that, I'll find you on the early perimeter shift and bring you back.......

Y'all got some kickass hoodies this year.
C.f.M.

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 am

and, I was hoping for some helmet...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 am

haha, ever NOT found someone? i'm guessing, with enough "inspiration", a person could hop that orange fence and get quite far before morning :lol:
gerlachedNloaded

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

Yeah, but so far they've been on foot. Or bicycle. PG&E have motorized transport. And outside the fence there's no 5mph requirement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Sail Man » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:29 am

ygmir wrote:yeah, wander.......there's a big orange fence to tell you when to stop,,,,,,and, if you get past that, I'll find you on the early perimeter shift and bring you back.......

Via the scenic route? :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 am

well, yeah, but if you get to far......well,,,,,,,,some anthropologist will find you, at some point...........and, we can "see" a long way out there........
(and, we're there 24/7,I just worked the 6 am to noon.....)
using *pulls down cone of silence* $#)(&%*$&$*&%$%

so, don't try it.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 am

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan