QUestion on personal camp size is there any limits ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

QUestion on personal camp size is there any limits ?

Postby joshaaronlive » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Hello im josh ,from florida ,2010 is my fist burning man , im going to go with me best friend dave that i usually travel with , we are both welder fabricators ,and also local djs here in florida and were thinking of building two 12' geodesic domes and a third 24' one as a common area for us and friends we will meet is there a limit on how much area you can take up ? we are both chill people that like music and making connections with people! thanks , Josh
joshaaronlive

Postby Oldguy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Build it and you will come. Sounds like a typical camp setup. I set up 3 large two-room tents with a common center carpet area and car as wind break. Start cutting, drilling, and bending now. there are a lot of pieces in 3 domes. Check out the other dome threads...Welcome to E-playa and Happy Halloweenie.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Just curious, how would you assemble a 24' dome? (Is that 24 feet tall?) Seems like you'd need a biiiig ladder. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Boijoy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:50 pm

2 or 10 Just sayin' 2 or 10 brother.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Read through the sound policy on the main site.

You can set up as large as you can find, but the good real estate tends to hold placed camps and villages. The outer rings can use some action I hear.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby joshaaronlive » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:16 pm

thanks for all the insight ! it will be fun!
joshaaronlive

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi josh,

Welcome to eplaya. There’s several other metal workers on the board too. Lots and lots of good advice on domes and such. If you’re an experienced fabricator, you should be able to knock out the domes pretty quickly.

The 2:00 and 10:00 streets are where the big sound camps are placed. Had many good times around those parts. Explore the way off parts too, though.

And camp space is a first-come basis any where that has not been designated for theme camps. Every inch of the 2 &10 streets will likely be set aside for theme camps, so you’ll be unable to pitch dome there… unless you become a theme camp of course and I’d not recommend this for your first year. Just come out and see what its all about. Have fun and explore. You’ll have plenty of time to expand as the years go by.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Elorrum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:34 pm

AntiM wrote:Read through the sound policy on the main site.

You can set up as large as you can find, but the good real estate tends to hold placed camps and villages. The outer rings can use some action I hear.

Can use some action out "there?" You townies! ;) It's ALL a campground.

The outer rings may have a lot of space (check out the gigapan image.) They tend to be quieter, and I for one like it out there because of that. I can go towards the music and lights, and then come back to camp and (I know it sounds horrific) sleep at night. Just the way I'm wired.

Read regs, and my understanding is 10 and 2:00 for sonic impact areas.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes, those are the sonic impact areas; they might not be available when they come in. Especially as they are mostly given out before the event opens, and then there is fierce competition over what's left.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:46 pm

outer rings 2 looked pretty empty on the gigapan. wish I could quickly find that link.
Elorrum

Postby Elorrum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Elorrum

Postby rodiponer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Josh,
I weld as a hobby, and last year was my first time, and so I also originally planned a dome for Burning Man. I like the futuristic moon outpost aesthetic of a dome, but I think there are more functional designs if you can give up the moon look. I think that for the amount of floor space you get, they take an awful lot of materials and are time consuming to put together on the playa.

With your metal fabrication skills, and especially if you have access to a real shop with pipe benders, shears, brakes, and all that good stuff... Well, I think you could do something really cool that might fit your needs and aesthetic better than a dome.

Someone on Tribe made a neat chopped pyramid thing, which he documented in the Shade Structures group.

With just a MIG welder and a bandsaw I made a 24x24 equilateral triangle thing out of aluminum and steel. It takes three people about half an hour to assemble the frame, supports six hammocks, has only three types of pieces (60 4' long round poles, 24 angle connectors, and rope), and doesn't really need to be staked down if it's covered with mesh shade cloth.

If I had the ability to transport it, I'd love to make something that has a large second floor observation platform that is still as solid as my triangle thing and assembles about as quickly.

Anyways, something to think about before you rush into a dome project.
rodiponer

thanks to all!!

Postby joshaaronlive » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:21 pm

thanks for all the feedback!!!
joshaaronlive

Postby greenthumb85 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:55 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Just curious, how would you assemble a 24' dome? (Is that 24 feet tall?) Seems like you'd need a biiiig ladder. :D

You don't need a ladder at all! you start by building the top and have people all around it to lift and drop the next level into place... Come help me set mine up and I'll show you! :wink:

And, there is no limit on size, you claim it, and you get it! The last 2 years I was in an unregistered camp with 2 large domes around 20 ft each, and a small dome around 12 ft. This year, we also had some people staying in a mushroom thing they made, a pop up trailer, half a dozen tents, and a few people sleeping in their cars! We had around 30 people and might double that this year. (probably split into 2 camps for ease)

Location can be a problem when you need that much space... We ended up at 730 and Genome last year, and 630 and Hummer in '08. We like to be somewhat central, it's just hard to get near the esplanade when you are between 4 and 8 and need that much space. But it can really suck if you're partying on one side of the playa, and you're ready to call it a night, but your camp is all the way on the other side! That's why we aim for a central area... But to each their own!
Experience art naked!
greenthumb85

Return to Shelter & Camping