Tent and Shade Cover Help PLease for a virgin

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:48 pm

AntiM wrote:
Bob wrote:Well, isn't everybody fun and exciting at bunringman.

Don't reply to the spam, please.

Mostly because when I delete it, then you just look crazy, talking to yourself.

He's a couch, sitting in the desert, all by himself...
He looks crazy every time he speaks.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby rubymermaid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:56 pm

My friends and I constructed something similar to a monkeyhut for our first burn. It worked great (held in a bit of heat, but oh well). I missed the setting up of it on the playa though and I heard that was hard and you would need more than one person, but people are friendly and helpful there for the most part. Taking it down is easier. Bring lots of rope, zip ties, stakes, and maybe bungee cords to secure it. Be sure to help out others too!

Also using your car to hold down one side of the shade structure is essential. The side where most of the wind is coming from.
rubymermaid

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm

A monkey hut has got to be one of the easiest things to set-up. I did it by myself in the pitch black of a playa midnight. Pound 6 rebar stakes, slide the rib joints onto the three ribs, put the ribs on the rebar, throw the tarp over the ribs and bungee, zip tie the tarp to the ribs. done.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Bounce530 wrote:A monkey hut has got to be one of the easiest things to set-up. I did it by myself in the pitch black of a playa midnight. Pound 6 rebar stakes, slide the rib joints onto the three ribs, put the ribs on the rebar, throw the tarp over the ribs and bungee, zip tie the tarp to the ribs. done.

Very nice, I keep referring to this image of yours as to how we'll set ours up.

Of course we got instructions off of lovemonkey, we'll add in the front and rear flaps for the dust storms. I love the solar/led lights to use as a point of reference to find your way back at night.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re: Tent and Shade Cover Help PLease for a virgin

Postby Packoderm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 pm

I think it would be nice to take a mesh screen tarp, cut it in a semi-circle with the same radius as the monkey hut, get the cut edge hemmed and grommeted, and use it to cap the back end of the hut. Maybe even cap the front with a door cut and hemmed.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:54 am

Packoderm wrote:I think it would be nice to take a mesh screen tarp, cut it in a semi-circle with the same radius as the monkey hut, get the cut edge hemmed and grommeted, and use it to cap the back end of the hut. Maybe even cap the front with a door cut and hemmed.

That might work, good idea.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Packoderm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I am considering making the ultimate monkey hut just for the sake of it. It would be double layered with canvas for the inner layer and aluminet for the outer layer. I'd like to sew on canvas flaps with grommets running the lengths of each piece of pvc and secure the pvc tight to the canvas with bungee balls. I'd make the inner canvas layer shorter than the outer layer and attach semi circle black shade cloth caps to each end with a door cut out the front part. The outer aluminet layer would have about 1 foot bigger radius than the inner canvas layer with aluminet caps on each end - again with the door on the front end.
Packoderm

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm

What size tarp are you using in the image? Just curious..
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby maryanimal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am

there is a place in town here that's selling used carport frames as low as $35. I'm going tomorrow to check therm out. I love this place. I've seen the frames before and most are in excellent condition! They'd make a great cooking area/lounging room!. Or you can put your tent under it. It's a 10' x 20'. But I think you can make it longer if you want!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Re:

Postby Packoderm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:51 am

dr.placebo wrote:I found an interesting way to reduce grommet failure. Thread a rope through all of the grommets and then fasten the rope to the hard points. This tends to distribute the load more evenly.

There are probably better ways to do all of this.

That's exactly how I did it to winterize my RV.
Packoderm

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 am

The tarp I used was a 10x20'
The photo is from the first year I used the hut, and I did run rope through the gromets and tied off at each end.
I didn't measure out the rebar very square that year, so that's why the tarp is gapping in places, but over the week it relaxed. So the more square your rebar is the tighter the tarp will be.

This past year I did have a front for the hut, I just hung some sheets from the front ribs when I went to sleep, then when I got up, I just rolled the sheets up and pinned them to the sides of the front ribs. I don't close off the back cause I'm in and out of the van all the time.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping