A question about shade?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

A question about shade?

Postby Recoil » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

So ive spent some time cruzing the search option for some info on two things i cant seem to find so im down to bugging you guys directly on the subjects. (over 10 pages of stuff it seems heh)

Firstly my plan for a shade structure/living space is to erect my 10x20 car port that has a white tarp like cover with walls. I am going to double up on the walls and roof with extra tarp that i have and try were ever possible to allow some space between the two so there will be some what of a buffer zone. I am all so bringing a AC unit i have no use for normally with a generator to run it but beside the AC unit has anyone tryed using this type of set up on the playa and found it work well or not well?

My concern after doing as much research as i can is that the tarp type system for a cover even with the buffer will just make it warmer then if i had a open area to let a brezz thro.

Any info would be great. I see people ask questions on shade structures quite often and i am sorry to add yet another one but id rather find out now and adjust before hand then to get out there only to find my set up to turn out totally different then how i expect.

Thank you, Recoil
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Hold up the material and if you can see the sun through it, you will out there too.
A cheap tarp that blocks light is better than a fancy greenhouse.
Gaps between tarps are good.

People do use ac out there.
As with a house, keep as much sun and heat out as possible.

When you need to ventilate without ac, kind of depends on heat and your tolerance for dust.
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 am

Ventilate the attic space if possible.
See stack effect in wiki.

Check out desert tents.
Usually 2 or 3 walls.
gyre

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:17 am

Yea be aware that AC units put out a lot of heat on the back end of em... And they run through electricity like nobody's business... But if you got em setup right they work good.

But I mean is it not more fun to go out and hop from shade to shade throughout the city anyways... Get a more intimate experience I think...
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby sputnik » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am

I've been in one air conditioned dome in the many years I've been going, it was over in Lustre in 05 I believe. I have to admit that it was heaven in there. It was a chill space with lots of plants (yes they had live plants) and a small pond with a waterfall. It happened to be exactly what I needed at that point. From what I could tell, the whole dome was pretty tightly sealed and covered in mylar or some other reflective material.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Recoil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:23 am

Absolut Jeenyus wrote:
But I mean is it not more fun to go out and hop from shade to shade throughout the city anyways... Get a more intimate experience I think...

Indeed and i do not intend to use it every day, mostly just as a escape when needed. The idea was i plan to stay up mostly at night so depending on how hot it is inside i have the option to turn it on and some what cool my sleeping area down enough to sleep comfy.

It could even be a nice ''gift'' if it works well to have some people over for snacks and some cool ac lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 am

Swamp coolers work there too.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 am

I got a silver tarp to throw over the carport, since the roof of the carport is pretty translucent. I also have some reed screens to serve as wind-permeable walls. I think it will look cool.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 am

Make sure it blocks all light.
They vary.
Shelter systems claims to have the best deal on higher grade chinese tarps.
shelsys.com
I need some myself.
gyre

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Some AC units drip a lot of water too...
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Absolut Jeenyus wrote:Some AC units drip a lot of water too...

With the low humidity, this shouldn't be a problem. Of course, with low humidity, the unit will not be as efficient either.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

???
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm

gyre wrote:???

Please be specific. Use the third side of the form if necessary.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Token » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Low humidity actually improves efficiency of an AC. Less cooling is used for the condensation of moisture which does not provide any cooling unless you let the condensate drip into the radiator.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Recoil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Good info, thank you my friends!
Recoil

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm

In general, A/C on the playa (which I'm a huge fan of) works in closed spaces like RVs, and swamp coolers (love those too!) work in ventilated spaces like tents, domes, and carports. With your setup I'd go with the swamp cooler. It'll work a lot better for what you're doing.
If you use an air conditioner for a carport shelter on the playa, it'll need to be a BIG powerful one.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Recoil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 pm

I am making it as air tight as possible by bringing extra cheap tarp to cut up and gorilla tape around every open joint of the interior. Id love to have a swamp cooler but i drive a small honda civic hatch back and will be stuffing it to the rim as is with what i have there would be no way i could put a swamp cooler in it lol

The AC unit is one i used to use for about a year in my old place because the houses AC sucked bad so it was a investment but now that i am in a nicer apartment with working central air the ac unit is just taking up space so i thought ''what the hell'' /shrug
Recoil

Postby cunfuzelled » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:57 am

if using ac it would be beter to bring one of these

plans on http://hexayurt.com
cunfuzelled

Postby Hoolie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm sure having AC on the playa would be kind of awesome. I must say though, I'm always quite comfortable there under some well ventilated shade. Also, since the playa is a high desert environment, it is often cool or even cold at night. So, I would recommend going through the trouble of an AC only if you really, really want to.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Recoil » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:57 pm

One year later i was searching for another subject and found this old thread lol

Shade structure worked out great geny ran well and wasent annoying with the baffle box i made . . . ac unit did a great job sitting in my closet at home as it was the ONLY thing i forgot to bring for my virgin year. My fellow camp mates took great pride in pointing that out every chance they could get and it made my first year quite memorable lol

This year im building a dome for my home minus the use of a ac unit or power for that matter lol
Recoil

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:27 am

Fixed a misting system, to a 2 gallon weed sprayer. Worked pretty well. Just made sure to use water, in the sprayer.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 am

Real cheap and small options is an 8" fan that runs on D battereis, and a spray bottle with water. For even more cooling effect, use the ice melt from the coolers.
I know it is not as great as walking into a chilled room but, it works great and packs small.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby phil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

Shade structure worked out great geny ran well and wasent annoying with the baffle box i made

Let me assure you that the generator _was_ annoying even with the baffle box. Generators are extremely aggravating to those who aren't getting the benefit of their output in your sealed off enclosure. If you think the generator isn't annoying, kindly put it in your shade structure.
phil

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am

phil wrote:
Shade structure worked out great geny ran well and wasent annoying with the baffle box i made

Let me assure you that the generator _was_ annoying even with the baffle box. Generators are extremely aggravating to those who aren't getting the benefit of their output in your sealed off enclosure. If you think the generator isn't annoying, kindly put it in your shade structure.

I'm with Phil on this one...set up camp near some other camp's grey water evap system powered by a gen. Of course it didn't bother them as the system was set up away from their camp, but right next to ours...ran constantly during the day...we had to shout to be heard.

Asshats!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 pm

FIGJAM brainstorm (cloudy with a chance of fog) shade 1.0. it took about 15 min. to set up in 10 mph wind and about the same to take down alone. the pipe is chainlink material (you can find it free) . the stakes 1/2in with angle iron tacked. made the cuts with a skill saw with metel blade. ill weave rope through gromets for more strength, but back disk acting up so this was just a test. once it was up, inched truck forward to tighten everything up.............FIGJAM.............If you see a flaw in this plan.....inlighten me please.Image
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 pm

its 12x30.Image

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:28 pm

I dig it!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping