Fantastic Way to Seal Mesh Tent Screens

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Grazelda » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:35 am

DoriumLux wrote:It isn't only the sun that poses the problem. It's dust on adhesive that also causes crap to pull off. Sounds like it is worth a try though!

How did the patch stuff work out DoriumLux? Did it hold as you hoped?
Grazelda

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:04 pm

I sewed triangular cut sections of Goodwill acquired baby blankets (fleece-like) to the mesh vents...worked great! Just a slight dusting inside and that can not be avoided. Plus covered bedding with a big sheet...all good!

Tent next to mine, interior was covered in thick dust. Me happy.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 am

I had plans to clamp a sheet of painter's plastic drop cloth over my vented ceiling.

I tested it at home and it worked fine.

But I decided to try a different tack last minute.

I erected my tent normally. My tent has a rain fly that also has it's own lighter poles. Instead, I put the fly over the top WITHOUT it's poles, but still connected the shock cord connectors at the 4 corners (Mine is a square Eureka Copper Canyon).

So essentially the rain fly was secured directly over teh roof vents.

Worked like a charm.

I also had a plastic painter's dropcloth (about $2 for a huge 20 X 40 one) that I tucked in between my tent wall and my inflatable mattress. Made my bed with blankets and pillows, etc.

Each day when I'd leave the tent, I'd simply pull the drop cloth up and over my bed to the ground. I'd then push the inf. mattress against the tent wall to secure it.

All my clothing was in plastic bags inside duffel bags on the far wall, so those were good.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby roponor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 pm

[quote="RedHeaven"]I just got this cheap pup in the mail! While it is a cheapie, its NO MESH except for the zip up windows! The top material is thin, but not mesh, so although its still gonna let fine stuff in theres no OPEN mesh. I think its gonna rock:

http://www.practicalsports.com/trek-233.html
[/quote]

So how did that tent work out for you last year? Was it worth the money?
roponor

Postby kman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Rosalily wrote:I just thought of another idea, it's a little bit of work, but might be worth it if your tent goes with you everywhere like mine...

Hot Glue velcro (soft side) around the perimeters of all the mesh windows. And hot glue or sew velcro (tooth side) around fabric pieces cut to the shape of your window.

I'd do it on the outside of the tent with the soft side of the velcro so that when the covers are not in use you don't have to deal with scratchy stuff on your tent.

And on the outside b/c I imagine the dust might otherwise gather between the inside of the window and the cover, so that when you take them off you'll have a pile of dust to deal with. PLUS you can choose some cool funky fabric to pimp out the outside of your pad ;-D

Just use something other than hot glue.

Hot glue has a nasty tendency to melt when the heat of the playa spikes up.
kman

Re: Fantastic Way to Seal Mesh Tent Screens

Postby sharpstick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:55 am

I used ripstop nylon, tackstitched every foot or so with gorilla tape along all the edges. That lasted a couple years as a playa tent before the tape started to come loose. Ripstop does allow a small amount of fine playa dust to pass through. I ended up covering the entire ceiling and hanging down as far as possible with housewrap(Tyvek or cheaper "EasyGard" or "Pactiv") and 3M spray glue. That has held for another 2 or 3 years now. I've never seen a tent survive the playa this long before! we planned to junk it last year, but it's not dead yet!
I don't bother cleaning this tent anymore, but the best way to clean playa gear is to soak it in vinegar and Calgon water softener. Calgon loosens up that alkali dust.

2014 update:
I don't bother making a tent convertible for playa and other environments. Once it's a playa tent, it's always a playa tent. A cheap $100 cabin tent is good for 3 or 4 years at best. A true $400 four season tent with full length fly won't last much longer on the playa.

This year, I'm trying something new. We're using an old small dome tent for storage. The fly barely covers the screen ceiling and I KNOW that the wind will blow the dust right up under it and dump inside. I'm painting every square inch of it with latex paint. I started with regular paint, but found some latex roof repair that is much thicker. It will still need one touch up after the first application dries to close up a few pinholes. The only opening left will be the door, so it will get hot. A tent with multiple doors will be more livable, or you can leave some zip up windows intact.

I suspect this will last longer than the housewrap technique I used before. I'm surprised nobody has thought of paint before for this.
sharpstick

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 am

I suspect that the paint will flake and chip when you repack it for transport.

May be a MOOP issue.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby sharpstick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 am

The paint has completely enclosed the mesh. It might crack, or stick to itself, but I don't think it will go anywhere. I'll report in September.
sharpstick

Postby Dustyrusty » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I machine- sewed old sheets over the outside of the large mesh ceiling vents of my large tent. The sewing took a couple of weekends because manipulating a large tent through a regular non-commercial sewing machine is a pain but very doable.

The only dust we had was from entry and exit during dust storms. Of course that was a year that it rained and we didn't put the rain fly on. A little damp, but it dried within an hour.
Dustyrusty

Postby shroom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm

nice ideas in here, thanks!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Y'all work too hard at this. We used to have a small tent with mesh ceiling vents. All we did was take a lightweight comforter, or a press-fiber blanket, and spring clamp it down tightly to the exterior poles. Two spring clamps per pole, one high, one low. Not only did we have a nearly dust free tent, it cut down on ambient light and provided temperature stabilizing insulation. Always left the rainfly off, those things are dust scoops.

We use a larger comforter, and even with our new meshless tent, we still top it for insulation and light reduction. Campmates used a small microfleece throw successfully as dust prevention. This is their tent.

P1050273 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Jackass » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm

The choice is obvious. Seal your tent mesh with this stuff.

snake oil.jpg

Need more proof?? BOOOM!

snake oil claim.jpg

In the wake of Billy Mays, this is what we are left with...Oh, and that Vince guy with the slap chop and sham-wow that wears that goofy headpiece microphone thingy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby sagittandy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:12 pm

How best to seal the bottom of this canvas tent door flap?
doorflap.jpg
sagittandy

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Elderberry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:20 pm

My first thought was to say Velcro, but then I remembered that playa dust gets through Velcro. We tried using it to attach the windows to the yurt so that we could remove them if we wanted to let air in. Big fail.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby sagittandy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Elderberry. That's amazing about velcro. I've heard it from other folks too.
I am now experimenting with magnets in the hem of the flap.
Still searching for better ideas...
sagittandy

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Add a zipper.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby sharpstick » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 am

sharpstick wrote:The paint has completely enclosed the mesh. It might crack, or stick to itself, but I don't think it will go anywhere. I'll report in September.

It worked great. It sealed better than any fabric.
sharpstick

Postby timschapker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:56 pm

I cover my mesh with a very thin cloth (you can use old sheets or ripstop nylon). I set up my tent, pin the fabric over the mesh. I use an extra long upholstery needle (about 8") to lightly stitch the fabric to the edge of the mesh. I then trim off the extra fabric. The long upholstery needle makes sewing pretty quick. I remove the fabric when I'm camping elsewhere and re-sew it for burning man.
Newbold Bohemia
Truth, Beauty, Freedom, Love
timschapker

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping