HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby ConnieH » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:57 pm

deutlich wrote:Small question -- let's say I wanted to paint over the reflective part of the insulation. Is there foil-like/silver paint that will keep reflecting sun that I could use to paint the yurt with?

If there is, I wonder if I can add color to the silver paint or perhaps find various colors of the paint (IF it even exists).

We used cheap silver spray paint, about $2/can, it works just fine covering up the logos and hasn't peeled off in three years of use. You could use chrome spray paint, too, but it's way more expensive, like $5/can.
ConnieH

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:39 pm

How will you even fit your regular supplies and two people into a VW Bug?

MOOP_Czar wrote:CRAP!! I just tried to post this and my internet dropped... grrr.

Here is the story - The wife and I are picking up my car in Carson City after we fly into Reno. Looking at the yurt option, but this car is a VW Bug - 1974. Tow hitch is possible, but a logistic nightmare.

Recommendations? Laughter? Offers of help?

I can probably get out there early and build the damn thing, but then we still have to get it to the playa... thus my dillema.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby MOOP_Czar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:48 pm

jkisha wrote:How will you even fit your regular supplies and two people into a VW Bug?

I never said it was to be easy...

I am still working out the heavy items but plans are in motion. Shelter is already in Carson. 3 person tent with a seperate gear tent. Clothes, food, it is doable.

I have another option which could work well, or totally devolve in my hands. SO luckily, I have about 10 months to get this shit figured out.

I wish I still had my '72 VW bus....
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby A Jester » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:27 pm

There's so much moop created by the construction process, that it really isn't feasible to build it from scratch on playa.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby MOOP_Czar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:32 pm

A Jester wrote:There's so much moop created by the construction process, that it really isn't feasible to build it from scratch on playa.

EEwww...

Good point!

I need to start looking at plan B.

I hate plan B....
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 pm

jkisha wrote:How will you even fit your regular supplies and two people into a VW Bug?

MOOP_Czar wrote:CRAP!! I just tried to post this and my internet dropped... grrr.

Here is the story - The wife and I are picking up my car in Carson City after we fly into Reno. Looking at the yurt option, but this car is a VW Bug - 1974. Tow hitch is possible, but a logistic nightmare.

Recommendations? Laughter? Offers of help?

I can probably get out there early and build the damn thing, but then we still have to get it to the playa... thus my dillema.

*sigh*

Without the name change, the answer would have been obvious. Two in the front seats, three in the back seat, and fifty in the ash tray.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby deutlich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks JK & Connie! Silver spray paint it is!

::goes to add it to the List::
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Postby deutlich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 am

Just readin' through the hexayurt site again and there's a recent update on the flammability of the hexayurt using insulation made of foam. When a piece is burned alone, it generally doesn't burn so fast but apparently the enclosed space built of foam is a different story (read: highly flammable).

The bidirectional filament tape used to tape the thing together is extremely flammable as well and it's recommended that filament tape be covered with foil tape.

"the two materials together [tape & foam insulation] are more of a fire risk than either alone"

Link: http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_Safety_Information

Rather just avoid the the tape if I can... gonna have to look into this gluing idea. I tried searching the thread for some alternate ways to secure pieces together but didn't come up with much.
deutlich

Postby Elderberry » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am

Hmmm.... OK, so my house is built with a wood frame, as are most. I'm going to hold a flame to a 2x4 and see if it catches fire. My guess is that it would. Is my house now unsafe for me to live in?

I'd like to se someone do a test like the fire department would, with an entire hexayurt, and see how long it would take to burn and how much time you would have to escape should it catch fire.

But, frankly, I'm not going to worry about it, I can't imagine it going up in flames any quicker than a tent or shade structure.

Safety third, you know.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby ConnieH » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:07 am

deutlich wrote:Just readin' through the hexayurt site again and there's a recent update on the flammability of the hexayurt using insulation made of foam. When a piece is burned alone, it generally doesn't burn so fast but apparently the enclosed space built of foam is a different story (read: highly flammable).

The bidirectional filament tape used to tape the thing together is extremely flammable as well and it's recommended that filament tape be covered with foil tape.

"the two materials together [tape & foam insulation] are more of a fire risk than either alone"

Link: http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_Safety_Information

Rather just avoid the the tape if I can... gonna have to look into this gluing idea. I tried searching the thread for some alternate ways to secure pieces together but didn't come up with much.

Fire isn't really something you need to worry about unless you are in the habit of spinning poi right next to your tent ... Don't do anything you wouldn't do in or around a tent and you'll be fine.
ConnieH

Postby Nipple » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 am

The other option is to get some foil tape, and tape over the top of the bidirectional filament tape.
Nipple

Postby deutlich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 am

Touché
deutlich

Postby Canoe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:10 pm

deutlich wrote:Just readin' through the hexayurt site again and there's a recent update on the flammability of the hexayurt using insulation made of foam. When a piece is burned alone, it generally doesn't burn so fast but apparently the enclosed space built of foam is a different story (read: highly flammable)...

So don't have open flame inside the yurt.
Don't let the temperature inside the yurt exceed 450F.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby MOOP_Czar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Canoe wrote:
deutlich wrote:Just readin' through the hexayurt site again and there's a recent update on the flammability of the hexayurt using insulation made of foam. When a piece is burned alone, it generally doesn't burn so fast but apparently the enclosed space built of foam is a different story (read: highly flammable)...

What is the current temperature spike when summonming the Dark Lord?

Better safe than sorry.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Nipple » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

He runs a little over 650 degrees fahrenheit.

Only summon in the deep playa, as fire effects shouldn't happen inside the city.
Nipple

Postby MOOP_Czar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Nipple wrote:He runs a little over 650 degrees fahrenheit.

Only summon in the deep playa, as fire effects shouldn't happen inside the city.

Thank you.

Appreciated.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Mods please note

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 am

MOOP_Czar wrote:
Canoe wrote:

What is the current temperature spike when summonming the Dark Lord?

Better safe than sorry.

MOOP_Czar wrote:
Nipple wrote:He runs a little over 650 degrees fahrenheit.

Thank you.

Appreciated.

This needs to be stickied.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby lucky420 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 pm

bob 2010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby dColioni » Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 am

MY 6' STRETCH HEXAYURT

DIMENSIONS: 6' tall X 6'11" deep X 12' wide. 70 sq ft. Folds down to a 4' X 8' X 8" bundle.

FRONT features: skylight/window/message board in roof panel, front door, 2 message boards/windows (one on each side of door), and an exit vent for the SW winds on the NE panel.

BACK features: 4" solar powered vent fan near top of roof panel, my solar panel wired into structure, and an entry vent for the SW winds on the SW panel.

I am saving all of the plugs that I cut out of the structure so I can close up any of my accessories at any given time, especially in the event of a white out. The blacked out portions of the 4'x8' sheets will not be used in the structure, but will be used during transport.

The folding design of my structure is based off coreyfro's foldable 6' stretch hexayurt: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... tb3VG6zcdc

This is my first hexayurt so I would love to hear any suggestions from the hexayurt veterans. These are my blueprint sketches, but the structure is complete. I will post pictures of the actual structure sometime soon.

-D.H.
dColioni

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lucky420 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 am

It will be interesting to see how those vents work. I have windows in my yurt too but they aren't as low as yours appear to be. I'm getting new panels this year because my original roof panels were cut very wonky.

How are you transporting your yurt? I have the standard sized one and we went camping with it a week ago. I rent a big truck when I go to bm but for this last trip we tied it onto the top of my old land cruiser. We used shrink wrap to hold it all together and then used ratchets/straps to secure it to the top of the cruiser. It worked really well.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby dColioni » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 am

The vents are 12" from the ground. Do you think that is high enough to avoid kickup dust clouds from passerby? I placed them there in hopes of getting a fresh filtered breeze while I sleep. I was planning on transporting is ontop of my roof rack with a durable tarp and ratchet straps, but shrink rap sounds like an excellent idea.
dColioni

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lucky420 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 am

Well if it gets to dusty from passersby you can always put your plugs back in. The dust factor may be subjective to where your camped and which way the yurt faces. This is a pic of how we travelled with it last week. It is all the panels to a full sized yurt. We ran the shrink wrap several times long ways and short ways around it. It really gave me piece of mind and worked like a charm. Just remember to pack your shrink wrap with you to bm so you can rewrap for the road home. That's a papasan chair frame on top :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Elderberry » Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm

Vents never worked for us. We tried using furnace filters too. Now we just cover the cutouts with plastic windows for light and to be able to see out. We saved out cutouts too, and hinged them so that we can close the windows easily whenever we want, like when the sun starts shining in. Our yurts are air conditioned.
JK
Elderberry

Postby quadraspleen » Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 am

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but we will be building our first hexayurt this year. I'm really looking forward to some peaceful daytime sleeping :)

We've got a location for the dry-build, and we have all the plans for both the yurt and some very cool swamp coolers we'll be using. we have but one issue (and it's quite a large part of the whole) What and where would we buy the panels?

I've been looking at Thermax and the like, and ideally would like to collect from a construction suppliers in Reno as that's where the rest of our gear is stored and where we will be collecting the truck from. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might get them? Obv going to have to pay for stuff now and store it until its needed..Been looking for construction suppliers in Reno in Yell.com, but so far haven't had a lot of luck with people who can actually supply the stuff..

Any pointers gratefully received :)

Thanks

jake
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
quadraspleen

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Postby lucky420 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:00 am

Home Depot should have it
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby quadraspleen » Wed May 30, 2012 2:03 am

Yeah, we figured that, but were a bit worried that HD would be all out by the time the Burn rolls around..And very expensive, no? The van hire guy suggested using a "proper" construction supplier..
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
quadraspleen

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Postby lucky420 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am

no home depot is fine. They sell the same stuff that you can get at a "proper" construction supplier. I believe that you can call home depot, order it and pay for it and they will hold it for you until you want to pick it up. Last time I checked ( the Reno store on Mae Anne dr off of I80 west) it was about $23 a sheet.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:32 am

last time I was in Home Depot they had "RMax" it is the same stuff.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:08 pm

i'm thrilled to say i've just completed the prep on my pentayurt!!!

I'll do a test set up over the weekend. Can't wait to get this puppy out to the playa!
oops i made a mistake! making mistakes is part of growing up....
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Post some pics of the test setup.
JK
Elderberry

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping