HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Use a section of metal foil dryer duct. The inside end goes up inside near the very top, while the outside end exits lower through a wall with a filter taped over it. It will act as a light trap while still getting the hot uppermost air out. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby keves » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Great idea! Thanks :!:
keves

Burning Since: 2013

Postby DestinyRoyale » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Aloha Burners!

I am interested in building a Hexayurt to fully encase my tent trailer allowing me to remove the tent from the trailer and create a lounge within a lounge with minimal set up. I am curious if anyone has tried this or if any of you have any recommendations? Thank you!
DestinyRoyale

Burning Since: 2014

Postby burner von braun » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Hmm.. actually that might be a really good idea. Everything is already pre-organized, your bed(s) are ready, any utilities that come with the trailer are there inside a cooled space. I assume you mean assembling the yurt right around the trailer where it sits. The only thing that pops out at me is to double check the yurt's dimensions. I didn't realize the tent portion of those campers was that easy to remove. Be sure to let us know how well it works out DestinyRoyale!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby DestinyRoyale » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Thank you Burner Von Braun! I will keep you posted. I will need to measure the height' length and width of the Trailer to see if the Hexa Yurt roof line will be free of the trailers roof, etc... I thought about doing an autoCAD model, but that's probably overkill. I have a feeling my design will be larger than those I see on the Hexayurt page and am wondering if I will need to reinforce the Yurt with PVC framing or if I can pull it off. I have a solar panel on the roof of the trailer and thought about cutting a hole in a panel and taping around the panel or just moving it to the tow vehicle? Once I measure the trailer.....
DestinyRoyale

Postby DestinyRoyale » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:23 am

So I measured the Tent Trailer and it come out to 19.1'Lx7.57'Wx8.4'T. I am not considering and attempting to design 24'x24' to encompass the trailer and leave room for some other build I have in mind. According to what I am reading, a frame may be critical to support the roof and allow for ample down pressure from guy lines. Would a PVC frame be acceptable?
DestinyRoyale

Postby burner von braun » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:58 pm

I guess I envisioned the trailer as having a smaller footprint than that. If it is still 8+' tall, I am guessing the tent canopy framework will remain standing though you removed the tent material? I had imagined all of the superstructure being removed as well so you have a lower profile. While looking online, I saw a couple of 'proven' yurt designs, notably the full-sized stretch versions that would perhaps accomodate your trailer, but you are getting into some big structures with substantial windloads. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider it, just that you are taking it to a different level, in my mind anyhow. I've not read any particulars regarding inner framework, PVC or otherwise. At some point, you might end up having to ask yourself if you are losing the very simplicity and efficiency you were after by going this route. Heck, it is always a matter of tradeoffs when designing for Burning Man. Good luck with the project!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Pictures would help us get a better idea.

Well, me any how. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DestinyRoyale » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 am

Aloha,

Yes, even if I remove the tent itself (still undecided), the canopy remains, which is also the lid/cover to the trailer and has my bike/surf racks for transport. With the tent removed, the lid can be dropped to a lower position, but not to the point where it would fit in the Yurt efficiently.

I went ahead and drafted a version of the 12' H12 Stretch (13'10"x24'x12') HexaYurt in AutoCAD with the trailer inside (see attached screenshot: basic, but to scale). The 12' roof height allows ample room and has the benefit of being a smaller (compared to 24'x24' previously discussed) area for cooling with the swamp-cooler. If I want more space for sharing, cooking, etc...I can (and plan to) add a smaller 8' (41sqft) H12 to the front (facing wind) which may help with wind-load? With the the smaller yurt on one side and the tow vehicle on the back-end the wind should be slightly deflected, at least that is my theory.

Questions?
1. If I can guy these down properly with the smaller yurt in front, should this allow for sufficient wind deflection?
2. Can I get away with the 1" material?
3. Will my structure take excessive space? I will be sharing it with at least two other for sleeping and a few more including visitors for social space. I will also be camping on the outskirts.

Theory?
1. The weight of the trailer inside and on-top of the floor tarp (taped to the structure) should also help with weighing the structure down?

This will be my first year at BM (yes, I still need a ticket), so I hope my onslaught of questions are acceptable? I don't want to be the noob with the structure flying down the Playa. I also have a lot of respect and admiration for the myriad of builds on the playa and want to contribute my own to share. Do it right the first time! Thank again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DestinyRoyale

Postby DestinyRoyale » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Here it is with Dimensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DestinyRoyale

Postby maladroit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I think it's a complete waste to put a trailer inside a hexayurt, the hexayurt itself is supposed to be an adequate living space on its own. Even the normal 8' hexayurt is fairly challenging for two people to cut and tape, and with five or six people around to build it on playa there is enough for everyone to do. These giant hexayurt designs will be very unstable during a large part of the build time, and will require a large crew to assemble. Imagine trying to build a house of cards on a roller coaster.

Hexayurts are great, but if you want turn the trailer into an open lounge space, you will probably be much happier with Monkeyhut covered in Aluminet. You could build an H12 off to one side for sleeping quarters. The good and bad thing about hexayurts is that they're an escape from the elements, they are a closed system...they are the opposite of open and inviting. You go in there when you don't want anyone to see you, and you don't want to see anyone outside. You can't leave off a wall without compromising structural integrity and the major advantages of having a hexayurt at all.

You are also running out of time to be in the design phase, and will probably have much better luck sourcing materials and constructing a single H12 hexayurt and a larger-sized monkeyhut.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby DestinyRoyale » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Thank you Maladroit for your detailed feedback, especially the part about being more isolated as to open. I will certainly consider them in my final decision.
DestinyRoyale

Postby DestinyRoyale » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 am

Maladroit,

I am taking your advice. It will take much less time and simpler resources to construct a Monkey Hut. Thank you again!
DestinyRoyale

Postby maladroit » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm

I think you'll be happy with that call! If you can build an H12 to live in, I'd definitely go for it, but just weigh it against the time you have left.

Setting up an awesome camp is a lot of fun, but you are giving yourself internally-focused work out on the playa when you'll want to explore and help others. You only have one first year.
maladroit

Postby MFOB » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:42 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Use a section of metal foil dryer duct. The inside end goes up inside near the very top, while the outside end exits lower through a wall with a filter taped over it. It will act as a light trap while still getting the hot uppermost air out. :mrgreen:

One can also use a Dryer Hood that has a one way air flow. Tape that sum-beach to the outside of the wall, hook the dryer venting tube to the inside and such up to the top of the Yurty McYurterson
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deflect-o-Supurr-Vent-Dryer-Vent-Kit-SK8WFW-8/100193323
These angles are all fenced up!
MFOB

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dazed and Confuzed

Postby DestinyRoyale » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 am

maladroit wrote:
"you'll want to explore and help others. You only have one first year.
" Yes and yes!!! I'm excited for ALL of it :D .
DestinyRoyale

Postby oly14 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Last year we built a 6’ stretch yurt (BFD mod), and didn’t heed the advice to protect the bifi tape. With 2014 rolling in, we're at the stage of re-taping the hinges. We didn’t remove last year’s tape and most of it has deteriorated and lost its adhesion. When we pull the old tape off, the adhesive is mostly dust, but some non-sticky residue is left behind. Does the residue need to be removed, or can we simply remove the dust and re-tape? If we need to remove the residue, is there a suggested method? Thanks.

FWIW, this year we are covering the bifi tape with aluminum tape to get more than one year without re-taping again.
oly14

Camp Name: Nada Camp

Postby maladroit » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 pm

From past advice I've heard, your tape hinges will mostly be taped on top of your edge taping. So it should peel off fairly easily. You'll want to remove the dust and probably wipe down the area you're going to tape.

I'll be doing the same thing next weekend...I foil taped a lot of the hinges, but not all.
maladroit

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:41 am

I think this gut used zippers to connect his panels to eliminate buying tape every year!!!

http://rotordesign.com/bm/category/shelter/
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 am

FIGJAM wrote:I think this gut used zippers to connect his panels to eliminate buying tape every year!!!

http://rotordesign.com/bm/category/shelter/

At the risk of offending someone and getting myself in trouble (again), let me just say that I saw that yurt on the playa a few years back. There was too much give in the connections and there was a lot of propping up that had to be done to keep the thing standing. (Link a pole being needed in the center to stabilize the roof.)

The guy did a lot of tedious work and great documentation, unfortunately the engineering is flawed.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Freedyjay » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Hey awesome people,

So it's my first time bringing a hexayurt and I was about to purchase my tape. My friend (whose yurt I'm borrowing) recommended the 8 inch tape rather than the six inch. Any thoughts? Was going to get it here...

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.as ... height=588

The store seems to differentiate between 8 inch tape that is "full width cut" and regular. I would think the regular is fine? And for a regular 8' x 4' yurt (the classic one I believe) I was thinking 3 rolls of 60 feet.

But would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
Freedyjay

Postby maladroit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Six inches is usually enough :wink:

You'll save a little money and have an easier time of covering it with foil tape.

The 8" tape would be pretty useful for more ambitious structures, like the H15.
maladroit

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Get a forth roll. If you don't use it, there's next year (yes, those are apparently re-taped every year), if you need it and don't have it--you don't have a yurt.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:28 am

We have a two room yurt consisting of one H10 and one H15. We use 6" tape for both and have for several years and find that is more than adequate. Actually, we use the 6" for all the structural joints, and we use 2" for attaching the plastic stationary windows, and the inside hinges of the window cutout panels to open and close the windows ((Open in the sense that the hinged panels cover the windows to keep light out when closed.) The windows do not open in the sense of being able to open them for a breeze.

We have the yurts air-conditioned so no need for windows to open. We also install the yurts on a tarp and use the 2" tape to tape the yurts--both inside and out--to the tarp. We use the 6" tape to form the door weather stripping, by folding the tape at the two inch point, leaving the other two inch sticky part to attach it to the door. We do this both inside and out. For the inside of the door the weather stripping is attached to the wall. The only dust that gets into the yurt is what's on our clothes, and we undress before entering the second yurt that acts as the bedroom, which is almost totally dust free. We also have a raised king size bed in the bedroom, but that's another story.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mauricioo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I am building a brand new yurt this year and wanted to cover the outside with some type of fun skin or paper, more specifically the roof. Anyone has done that in the past? Any suggestions?
Thx!
mauricioo

Postby desiredlogin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 pm

I didn't foil tape over my hinges last year either. When I packed it away, everything seemed fine. When I get to my storage unit am I going to find that the tape has deteriorated, or would I have known about any problems when packing up? I guess I'm going to order some extra tape, just in case. Would hate to be stuck without a yurt due to tape shortage...
desiredlogin

Burning Since: 2008

Postby dirty_ghost » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm dusting off my Hexayurt for this year. It worked great in its first year last year, but I'm wondering about how the tape will hold up for year 2. I've seen some folks saying the tape needs to be replaced every year and some saying every other. Is there anything to look for to see if the tape is still sturdy enough?

Also if I do re-tape, do people usually strip off the old tape, or just put the new tape over it?

Thanks!!
dirty_ghost

Camp Name: Wanderfound

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm

To the 2 posters above, yes get the extra tape. You will need to repair fray edges , etc. you will know where to replace the tape by looking at it. It's very obvious. And yes you will most likely have to pull the old tape off before putting new tape down.

The extra rolls of tape will be worth it.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby mauricioo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:31 pm

dirty_ghost , allow yourself extra time to do the maintenance on your yurt.
Also:
- do [b]not[/b] pull tape that is not coming off from the panels. If it's sticking, leave it alone.

patch the panels as much as you can so the foam won't be exposed.

DO make sure you pull every piece of tape that is coming off by itself, best not to rely on tape that is not 100% healthy.

Again, allow yourself some time to do all of that, and before you get to the playa, obviously.
mauricioo

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:52 pm

JKiska: how much AC BTU are you running to cool those structures? Really curious of the thermodynamics of a large megayurt like yours. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping