Anyone else get screwed when returning a Moturis RV?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Anyone else get screwed when returning a Moturis RV?

Postby KestrelSF » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:36 am

So, just got back and both me and a buddy got charged around $2500 by Moturis for cleaning, misc dings and dents ... basically any little thing they could possibly dream up. We actually calculated that it would have cost us less had the things burned to the ground. The guy was super rude about the whole thing on top of it, asking 3 times if we were tripping.

We are super mad about how we were treated and how much they ripped us off. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:29 am

You didn't pay, did you?
I would have called the police right then.
gyre

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 am

If it's really unfair, tell him to take you to court.
MikeVDS

Postby poisenloaf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Me and some friends rented three RVs from a family owned and operated place called "All About Fun RV" in Ramona, CA (near San Diego). They are very burner friendly and their only concern was they wanted a $1500 security deposit up front. As far as their cleaning policy goes, the outside did not matter, and they did not charge extra to dump the tanks. The inside was our responsibility, and as long as we showed "effort" they said it would be fine as they bring somebody in to professionally clean each RV both inside and out anyways.

We spent maybe 2 hours wiping down the inside with towels, vacuuming the furniture, and sweeping/mopping the floor.. they were totally satisified and at most they would have charged a $75 cleaning fee.

Minor dings/dents should be covered under normal wear and tear. All About Fun only cared about any major scrapes or damage caused by more serious mistakes or accidents.

In short, $2500 is highway robbery. You should dispute the additional charge with your credit card company.
poisenloaf

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:38 pm

wait three months then burn their entire operation to the ground.

that's just what i would do, but i'm a bastard that way.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Mosin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:39 am

While there are indeed times to hoist the Jolly Roger and start slitting throats, I think your Credit Card company, the BBB and/or small claims court are a better start than incindiary FMJ. That fucking sucks royally, but don't give them an excuse to put the hurt on you even further. Condolences.
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby mk-ultra » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:17 pm

As one of the camp-mates in the camp that is getting screwed-over by Moturis, I can say without reservation that some of their charges are complete bullshit.

They aren't just charging for cleaning things. Their take on "cleaning" is that if it had dust on it (as in a mattress or seat cushion) -- it requires replacement at full cost. There is no "cleaning" of anything.

They're charging us for a broken-when-rented (but not noticed until we tried to use it) window shade... to the tune of $250 as well as for other bullshit items.

Caveat Emptor: Moturis seems very "burner friendly" up-front... but uses burner rentals as an excuse to try to gouge renters into replacing damn near everything they think they can get away with charging you for.

You can bet there will be a fair discussion amongst our camp about their charges... and charge-backs for the bullshit items they're trying to get away with.
mk-ultra

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Shame on them for advertising "Burner Friendly." Make sure the community learns of this...our dollars talk! If they're going to abuse the privilege the market will punish them...

Sorry for your misfortune. I hope you were able to withhold your credit card info and force them to take you to small claims court...or you do so if they already took your money.

Don't expect small claims court to completely absolve you, but putting this in the hands of a disinterested party goes a long way toward providing some relief to the situation. But ya gotta have your facts straight and evidence to support your position (pre-trip inspection sheet/pics, etc.). By the same token they will have to provide evidence that you violated your contract.

I never asked if nor did my RV rental place stipulate they were Burner Friendly. We returned the RV in better condition then we got it...actually repaired broken things and vacuumed in places no one else had in the past. The interior was absolutely trashed with debris, detritus, and dust/dirt. We spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning stem to stern, inside and outside, including the engine compartment. We when finished the basic cleaning we then went back thru the RV and detailed it. That beast was gleaming.

The rental person was giddy with it. However, as we drove off, the sun shining off the right side of the RV revealed the faint outline of the man that had been left after we pulled off the painter's tape laid down in the man's image...heehee.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Don't forget to contact Trailer Life and Camping World and the main office, if any, of the store.
There are many RV forums to post on too.

You can't beat telling the truth for negative publicity.
After Chrysler refused to back up a faulty transmission, I have cost them at least a million dollars in sales.
Don't buy Chrysler.
They don't back up their cars or trucks.
Whoops! Did it again.
gyre

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Didn't you have the good sense to take their insurance when offered? It limits the deductible to (at least where I rented from) $500. That's it, out the door. You want more? Go fuck yourself and the goat you road in on.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby mk-ultra » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Didn't you have the good sense to take their insurance when offered? It limits the deductible to (at least where I rented from) $500. That's it, out the door. You want more? Go fuck yourself and the goat you road in on.

Troll much? You score 3 out of 10. One extra point for your goat fetish.

Both RV's in our camp purchased the highest level ("VIP") insurance available from Moturis. This is why we've said it would have been cheaper to toss a match in the RVs and burn them to the ground... rather than deal with their bullshit charges. The insurance covers accidents... not things like a "dusty cushion" they've decided to replace at full cost.

If you didn't get screwed by Moturis -- good for you. Did you rent from them this year? If not... how about shutting the fuck up unless you've dealt with the management in place now.

We fully expected to lose our cleaning deposit -- no matter how clean the RV was when returned. We rented from Cruise America last year... and had no issues whatsoever with them on return. What we didn't expect from Moturis was a litany of BS charges for things like new mattresses... new cushions... and replacement of items we only discovered were broken when we tried to use them. Maybe it's, "shame on us" for not testing items like extending every blind before we drove off.

You weren't there to experience their attitude during the return, were you?

This isn't about you being a troll though. This is about warning other burners about what they can expect if they rent from Moturis... even if they buy the highest-level of RV insurance they offer. If you want a lot of attitude and having to resort to credit-card charge backs to keep from being mercilessly ripped off... Moturis is a great bet.
mk-ultra

Postby thirt33n » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:30 pm

..hopefully everyone is now fucking their selves.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby BoxaRox » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Ding. You just lost my sympathy vote. I'm starting to be able to read between the lines.

So why DID you return the RV with dusty cushions? Seems like that would have been one of the EASIEST things to clean. And one of the first things they'd spot.

RV looked like a frat party when you returned it, didn't it?

RV place is BURNER friendly, NOT Frat-Boy friendly. Shut up and pay your bar tab and stop trying to convince the world that ALL burners are rude hostile assholes.
BoxaRox

Postby mk-ultra » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Meh.

I'd never whine about being charged for cleaning something that actually needed *cleaning* or replacing something that we'd actually broken or that had to be replaced through some fault of our own.

I've rented RVs before. Never had an issue. Moturis doesn't just suck-up the cleaning deposit if they find dust... they simply gut and replace things in the RV and charge full-cost for them. This is very different from reputable companies you can rent from. If the experience with them weren't so different from other rental companies, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

Our camp is SO far from frat-boy... I can't help but chuckle at that one. I think we all take camping pretty seriously... and walked a perimeter well beyond our camp to pick up other people's MOOP before we left. We aren't some sorta entitled brats just bitching for the fun of it.

The only "broken" thing in one of the RVs was a window shade -- which was fucked-up the very first time we tried to use it. I can (sorta) accept eating that charge since we didn't raise-and-lower every window shade before we departed.

As for the $2500 worth of cleaning charges... that's, urm, 50 hours at *$50* an hour. Unless we unloaded the entire black water tank into the interior with a fire hose, I can't imagine how they can justify that charge.
mk-ultra

MOTURIS

Postby hellvis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:07 pm

has anyone had a good experience with Moturis? Im kinda locked into renting from them and now a little nervous because of a few negative reviews i have read. would like to know if anyone had a pleasant experience and didnt get screwed
hellvis
hellvis

Postby cablemonkey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Sounds like you'll need to be ultra-picky with the pre-trip condition report and take lots and lots of photos of the unit on their lot before you leave. Maybe get their cleaning policy in writing as well.
cablemonkey

Postby capjbadger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:14 pm

As with any vehicle rental, check everything, and make sure they record EVERY dent scrap and ding in writing so there is a recoard of pre-existing damage. NEVER give in if you point something out and they say "oh don't worry about that..."

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm

If you take pictures, make sure you get one with the salesperson in it. That way they it's harder for them to say they were faked. Using a separate card just for the RV photos doesn't hurt either- you can submit the original card into evidence if it ends up in court.

A 1gig card will cost you next to nothing, its even cheaper if you can still find a smaller one.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Return to Shelter & Camping