Contained, propane firepit?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Contained, propane firepit?

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:14 am

So, I have a Propane firepit that I have made that consists of a large stoneware bowl with lava rocks in it, then filled with water. The propane bubbles up from the bottom and once lit, flames hover over the water (quite the captivating effect).
Are there any policies against this sort of thing within a camp? It's basically the same thing as the ones you see at restaraunts, aside from being filled with water.
I'm really looking forward to having it with, but don't wanna bring it just to find out I'm not allowed to use it in my camp.

ok.
¡Niers!

Postby ibdave » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Bring it....... You'll be fine.. The rule about open flame in camp is such for Tiki torches ( they tend to fall over easy and fall on tents).. ect...

If you have your camp set up with some street frontage, with a open space for you art to sit in a "safe zone" I think you'll be fine...
8) 8) 8)
Sound's like a project that someone did about 7 years ago.. It's a very cool effect...... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Re: Contained, propane firepit?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:40 pm

¡Niers! wrote:I'm really looking forward to having it with, but don't wanna bring it just to find out I'm not allowed to use it in my camp.

Only if it explodes on a regular basis. Sounds cool.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ibdave » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Oh yea, It must have a Stripper pole......
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Gravity Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Besides needing a stripper pole, as ibdave pointed out, your project could be construed as 'flame effects.' The BM definition of 'flame effects' and required action (register effect, inspection, they issue a permit) can be found here: http://www.burningman.com/installations/creating_dangerous_art.html

Now, of course, your camps stoves can also be construed as 'flame effects,' and those don't require BM registration and a permit, so use your own judgement, I'm just putting the info out there.

What is generallly true of camp stoves (by default) and I believe is true for registered fire art should remain true for your propane firepit - no unattended use.

Gravity Mike
Gravity Mike

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:56 pm

In the past, flame effects within camps did not need to be registered as flame effects. If you put it on an art car or on the open playa then you'd need to get inspected.
MikeVDS

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

It will also need a martini bar in close proximity to the stripper pole.

Your guests will need tasty beverages while enjoying the strippers twirl around the fire art on a pole.

I mean, you do want to lock up that nomination for Camp of the Week, right?

I heard there are some lovely prizes this year.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:57 pm

A fire extinguisher or a simple bucket of water close by and an open area as stated above is all you need. Please do not leave it burning and unattended. The wind can become strong with very little warning. Also as stated above it does not have to be registered.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby ¡Niers! » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks all, for the info.
Although, one might construe this firepit as a work of art, to me it's not.
It's just a normal run of the mill, firepit with an added bonus.....water.
I am intending on keeping it in my 20' pyramid with restricted use by me and my partner only.
I use it here within Eugene city limits in my back yard and have had no problems with it in the past. Just some kind of fire to sit around and talk some shit with friends.
As far as leaving it unattended? NO WAY! I don't even leave it for 2 seconds alone. I don't even go in the house leaving it on for my friends to enjoy.....if my partner or I don't have eye contact with it, it's off.
Propane scares me, and so do lawyers.
In fact I have been drawing up designs for a pilot light. As of now, it just blows right out with the sloghtest wind. Not good.

So, as far as I've read it seems fine to bring as long as I am responsible with it, eh?

ok
¡Niers!

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:11 am

¡Niers! wrote:Thanks all, for the info.

No No.. THANK YOU!

I saw something like this when I was younger and had forgotten all about it until you brought it up. I am already drafting up some ideas for flame art.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby bburrito » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:50 pm

I was about to ask about burning wood in a firepit as I have a washer tub that makes an amazing contained pit and it has 4 welded on legs that keep it from tipping over. But then I thought... why the hell would I want to sit in my camp sitting around a fire with my friends? I think I would rather go out, have a good time, and meet new ones.
bburrito

Postby BitterDan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 pm

No wood fires are allowed in the city. If you want a wood fire you'll have to register and take it to the playa.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:31 pm

friends had a similar set up last two years running and haven't heard of any problems. Try contacting Fred at Tierra del Fuego
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:24 pm

BitterDan wrote:No wood fires are allowed in the city. If you want a wood fire you'll have to register and take it to the playa.

Might not be allowed but there are plenty of them in the city blocks
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby BitterDan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Still it shouldn't be encouraged IMO. 8)
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby ShyAtShambhala » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:49 am

Niers!!!

If you are still around homie (I know it has been a few years), but I have been digging through post from the last few years at the burn just to kind of investigate what kind of changes have been occurring and I have to say, I might need some tutelage from you.

I have a plan very similar to yours, but I am more of a dreamer than en engineer. I want to take a HUGE tractor tire and cut in in half so that there in a U-shaped opening you know. Then I want to coat the entire thing with some metal lining and create a fountain similar to what you built in 08. I plan on having about 7 chambers with lights ranging most colors of the rainbow.

My original plan was to bring enough dry ice to get it rocking for a couple days, but I'm also kind of a pyro so the sound of propane and warmth are sounding quite intoxicating at the moment. If you are still around, or if anybody happens to stumble upon this post, you should let me know your thoughts and we can brainstorm some ideas!
ShyAtShambhala

Re: Contained, propane firepit?

Postby Spirmy25 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 am

A fire extinguisher or a simple bucket of water close by and an open area as stated above is all you need. Please do not leave it burning and unattended. The wind can become strong with very little warning.
Spirmy25

Return to Shelter & Camping