Swedish Snow Blind / White Camo

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Swedish Snow Blind / White Camo

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:40 pm

The supplier for many of us last year was www.majorsurplusNsurvival.com but it really was surplus (ok to weep here: the price was $12.95 for a 7' x 27' piece!) and they don't have any this year:

I've spent hours googling looking for more, there's some in UK at silly prices, but haven't found any in the USA:
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/isho ... 1621.html#

The "Major Surplus" link as has a regular "netted" camo with white "fabric" swatches on it (10' x 10') for $20:
http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Me ... y_Code=139

but not the Tyvek stuff many burners know and love, as in the pic above.

Anyone know of a place to get it?
DoctorIknow

Re: Swedish Snow Blind / White Camo

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:33 am

DoctorIknow wrote:Anyone know of a place to get it?

my backyard? :D
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 am

After a couple years of using the snow camo, we're switching to regular netted camo. The tyvek was great, but it shredded too easily in the wind. Our large pieces are slowly getting repurposed as they tear up. They're down to side curtains and end walls now.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Swedish Snow Netting at MajorSurplus

Postby alexamonkey » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Hey,

Major surplus does have snow netting, 16 x 20 for around $20, slight discount if you buy 3...

I just ordered some- look up 085627 in the search bar- it is the product #. (it's called Swedish Snow Break-Up net)
alexamonkey

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks AlexaMonkey

Funny thing is, I talked to their operator a week ago and she said they didn't have any.

The search doesn't seem to work with the number, but works with "snow" and then the number comes up.... weird...

Thanks again... as AntiM mentioned, this stuff is the greatest where the stress is less, like the sides. Also, I've put it directly on top of tents and it helps somewhat...like maybe an hours extra worth of sleep in the morning before it turns into a sauna...
DoctorIknow

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Try LoadUp...

http://www.loadup.com
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DoctorIknow » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm

LoadUp has lots of camo, but I couldn't find the Tyvek type...

BTW, I just received, from MajorSurplus:
0852272 White Snow Camo Nets (10' x 10') $19.95
which looked good in the pictures, but I'm sending it back because it is VERY sparse on the material and is really all about the netting attached. Usually, the netting on camo is thin and the camo material covers more.
This stuff gave almost no reduction of heat or shading from Sacramento backyard afternoon sun.... useless stuff...

I have several pieces of camo (green style) I've used for seven years, and even the cheapest stuff is lasting...(I never thought it would last one BurningMan!). The best camo came from Desert Storm, but my supplier was apprehended by the FBI and made to return his unsold camo as it had special metals in the fabric that made hot US tanks in Kuwait invisible to infrared photography when covered with it. Guess what kind of people in California would want to cover "what" with that camo?
DoctorIknow

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:21 pm

Abalone poachers. Their catch.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mozy bonz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:01 am

but I'm sending it back because it is VERY sparse on the material and is really all about the netting attached.

Shit! I just bought 3 10x20 of this stuff from them....
Mozy bonz

Postby pinemom » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:32 am

That sux Mozy! Ya Im still playing with my shade idea...work re-work re-work yet again.still at ?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Swedish Snow Netting works fine- used correctly...

Postby alexamonkey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:22 pm

My snow netting held up beautifully last year- I think this is the trick:

Don't use it as side walls

Don't use it taught- use rope & bungee if you plan to extend it between two things for overhead- Bungees allow it to move with the wind- My pieces from last year are still in perfect condition!!
alexamonkey

It's still to be found but pricey $$$

Postby JToce » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:57 pm

God bless eBay:

SWEDISH DIGITAL SNOW CAMO NET NEW COOL!!!! 10/PAK (#330007625644)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0007625644

Current Bid: US $199.99
Buy it Now Price: US $209.99
Shipping costs: US $68.50

Or you can see other combinations on his website:
http://www.northdoorway.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=762561

Single sheets go for ~$35.

He's offering bulk deals for a reasonable price: 20 FOR $350.00 ($17.50 each) + s/h - so I suggest you motivated types put together a purchase order for your local group and save.

* I in NO WAY endorse this guy. Just found it searching, same as you would. Personally I stocked up on the $13 sheets from Major Surplus so I won't be needing anymore for a while.
JToce

Major Surplus working again?

Postby JToce » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:08 pm

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Me ... ry_Code=23

Did a search for snow and that came up. Price is $18.33 which is better than eBay. Don't know if it'll work for you though.
JToce

Re: Major Surplus working again?

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:35 pm

JToce wrote:http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MSS&Product_Code=085267&Category_Code=23

Did a search for snow and that came up. Price is $18.33 which is better than eBay. Don't know if it'll work for you though.

I ordered it online weeks ago, none came, called them up and "It's out of stock. No expected further inventory."

Called today, and it's still out of stock. I asked them to pass this on to their web person.

I'm thinking of ordering 20 pieces from the NorthDoorWay guy, taking it to the playa, and letting anyone pre-buying it from me, at the same price, pick it up on the playa, and I'll be there Sunday. Anyone interested? I only need five pieces.
DoctorIknow

Group Purchase

Postby doublejack » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm

[quote]<i> I'm thinking of ordering 20 pieces from the NorthDoorWay guy, taking it to the playa, and letting anyone pre-buying it from me, at the same price, pick it up on the playa, and I'll be there Sunday. Anyone interested? I only need five pieces.</i>[/quote]

Our group *may* have a few people who'd want to take you up on that. I still have a couple pieces myself, but if it's gonna get all rare and stuff, I might get another couple -- I love this stuff.
We hold these truths to be self-evident...
doublejack

need swedish snow break-up net

Postby alexamonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:28 am

majorsurplus screwed me over- I've been waiting for a non-existent order! Want 5 pieces, need 3. Also, the dimensions I'm used to are 16' x 20'- what size does this stuff come in from other places!!
alexamonkey

Postby blyslv » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:48 am

I've used stuff similar to this.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/desert-nylon-cordura.htm

It is much different from the Swedish tyvek stuff. Often you have to double it up to get the amount of shade you want. They used to have pure white, but not anymore.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm thinking of ordering 20 pieces from the NorthDoorWay guy, taking it to the playa, and letting anyone pre-buying it from me, at the same price, pick it up on the playa, and I'll be there Sunday. Anyone interested? I only need five pieces.

Cool, but if you do, can I convince folks to negotiate the transaction off the board via PMs please? Thanks.
AntiM

swedish snow breakup net needed!!!!!

Postby alexamonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:20 pm

I would love to get in on a bulk order.......!!!!! need 3 to 5 pieces...
alexamonkey
alexamonkey

Re: Swedish Snow Netting works fine- used correctly...

Postby karr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:22 am

alexamonkey wrote:My snow netting held up beautifully last year- I think this is the trick:

Don't use it as side walls

Don't use it taught- use rope & bungee if you plan to extend it between two things for overhead- Bungees allow it to move with the wind- My pieces from last year are still in perfect condition!!

Why do you discourage the use of snow netting as side walls? Does it make it more prone to tear?

I posted a picture of what I expect my setup to be at this topic http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=13638&highlight=

I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm looking into Camo Net or Aluminet. The other option I was looking at was to buy 2 snow nettings from eBay, attach to my structure on the sides with bungees and then attach to candy cane rebar, slightly loose...?
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.
karr

Postby theBrooke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:18 am

Anybody try the "military desert net" from MajorSurplusandSurvival?

Curious how it compares to the other camo...
=(*o*)=(^-^)=(º0º)=(*.*)=(^_^)=(*_*)=
theBrooke

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:59 am

We have two, because one made nice daplped shade but not quite deep and dark enough unless doubled up. One of them had a hole in the corner, they are used, but nothing we can't fix easily. And we can tie colored ribbons in them.
AntiM

General camo net hunting tips

Postby Token » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:07 am

My experiences locating snow camo:

1. It is a constant all-year search
2. Web sites usually do not list the good stuff. Call and ask.
3. NATO issue camo is by far the best. The real stuff made of the radar absorbing rubberized textiles. Super strong.
4. Hit the streets. We found all of our camo by going to the local surplus stores and digging through the warehouse. The guys working there didn't even know they had it.

I have had some good fortunes finding real NATO snow camo at A A Surplus in Los Angeles. If you are local, this is a good place to go and dig in the warehouse.

Real military camo that I described above is heavy. Shipping will be expensive.

On the Playa, Snow vs. Woodland camo: There is no difference in shade or thermal properties. After the second day it is all the same drab playa color.

Good Luck.
Token

Postby bentang » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:50 pm

I haven't tried any of this, but it looks like the snow camo netting. http://www.catalogclearance.com/product ... cloth.html Let me know if it is effective again the summer heat.
bentang

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 am

necro.jpg

Nearly six years. That has got to be a record.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby forty_eight » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm

it's a good thing, right? there's some good posts in here.
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:02 am

48_love wrote:it's a good thing, right? there's some good posts in here.

I actually don't consider it a good thing. While the subject may still be related, the actual content has lost relevance to the actual subject posed. People have moved on, can't remember what they were discussing, etc. In bentang's post case, he suggests some snow camo netting from some site as if there is some ongoing test for its effectiveness.

A better approach is to start a new topic with a new question or guide, and refer to the old one as a reference. Again, to use bentang's post, the new topic could be "I found some new snow camo netting, and would like to know if it is as effective as the netting described in THIS forum post." Then you're making a clean break with the content that is old, and the new responses are specifically addressed to the new topic.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 am

I tend to agree with BBAdger. The link takes me to aluminet, not snow camo. The old stuff is not available anymore, making the thread pretty much obsolete.

Our old snow camo took a beating over the years, we still have and use it, but I wouldn't buy it again if there's cheaper choices.
AntiM

Postby forty_eight » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 am

i guess i can see the 'use the search' post being readily made, so there is that.

these last posts give the thread more certian finality, lol
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Nipple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am

Looks kinda spammy to me.

Does that guy sell the aluminet shade cloth? Is that his webpage he linked to?

Then again maybe not.

Heck... I don't know.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping