Locking up Cooking Materials?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Locking up Cooking Materials?

Postby Swope904 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Do I need to lock up things like cooking grills, fryers, stoves, utensils etc.?

I know burning man doesn't not have theifs but im just wondering on how much of it is going on there?

Will people basically steal anything there thats not bolted down thats worth money or am I wrong?

Do I need to chain things together or to my vehicle?

When you set up your little kitchen or whatever it is you use to cook do you just do it out in the open? What do you do about white outs?

Is their a special trick to keep sand from getting covered in dust?

Just looking for cooking advice right now as thats what I have moved on to focusing on now. All help would be great thanks.
Swope904

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Locking up Cooking Materials?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I've never had anything stolen and I left grills, and chairs, and hammocks right out in the open with street frontage, but I know others have had things taken.

I also know I wouldn't kill myself if those were taken and that someone would take pity and feed me if it came down to that.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby maladroit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Swope904 wrote:I know burning man doesn't not have theifs but im just wondering on how much of it is going on there?

Will people basically steal anything there thats not bolted down thats worth money or am I wrong?

I've seen a lot of expensive stuff (power tools, generators, bike) go unmolested when left right next to the road. But it's all about the neighborhood.

Swope904 wrote:Is their a special trick to keep sand from getting covered in dust?

I know, right? You're sitting down to a nice gritty bowl of sand & milk for breakfast, and the first spoonful tastes like dust! Gross. It's impossible to keep the dust out, so I'd recommend keeping your sand sealed tightly in tupperware containers until you need it.
maladroit

Postby misfit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:59 pm

if you can't afford to lose it,,, don't bring it....
there may be no thieves at burning man, but there are people attracted to shiney objects...
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby mgb327 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:06 pm

By all means, protect your sand out there...the dust really makes it useless. Never know when you need some "pure" sand. Gah!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I'd say that roughly 90% of prevention would be keeping things out of site. I've know people who've have coolers raided. Mine I keep covered in a comforter from goodwill. Looks like a nice bench, not two coolers. Never had them raided.

Simply putting things away in some totes and the storing them away from street frontage would be about as far as I'm willing to go.

Critical items though, like wallet, secondary ID, extra glasses, I lock in my vehicle. Anything that if lost or stolen would greatly affect my ability to get home.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby asr9754 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:31 pm

You can set up a kitchen area within a shade structure of some kind. We used a hefty pop-up canopy, reinforced with guy lines, and a tarp suspended across one "wall". We cut U-shaped slits in the tarp for wind relief (see other posts on shade structures, monkey hut, tarps, etc).

Never had a problem w/ theft, but we make it a point to lock up tools, bikes, and valuable items, and get even more careful locking-up starting on Thursday, when the crowd gets bigger and changes tone a bit.

As for dust, plastic bins are great. We have a heavy drop cloth that we drape over the "messy table" and secure with bungees to cover loose items. Wind is definitely an issue with any coverings. Start eating small quantities of dust now, and by August you won't mind it.
asr9754

Postby Elorrum » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:59 pm

The same as any campground. A lot of trust, little theft, but not a license to skip common sense. Having a plan to box things up, or stow them in some way also keeps them from blowing away and becoming moop missiles and tumbleweeds in the wind. The wind will take more things for certain than people will if they aren't stowed well. Keeping things from getting the instant dust layer is also a good reason to have a stow away plan. baggies and bins, clear plastic is easiest for finding things.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Sand covered in dust? I've got to say, that one perplexes me. You think there's sand out there? You're worried about sand getting dust on it?

As for dealing with white-outs... I don't recommend cooking or eating out in the open during a white-out. I also don't recommend doing either in gale-force winds or heavy duty weather conditions anywhere else. Do some more reading (survival guide, first timer's guide, this site), I suspect that you'll find plenty of information on the topic of shade structures. It's quite a logistical challenge, but part of the fun is figuring it all out.

Theft is another topic that's covered in lots of places. I don't think that there are any discussions about locking up cookware specifically, but if you're doing the basic reading and research you should be able to get an idea of what kind of theft issues there are, and ideas on how to secure your valuables and whatnot. You could take it to either extreme (lock it all up, or lock nothing up) if you like, or find some middle ground that you and your campmates are comfortable with.

For my camp, we've got a pretty solid structure that we use for our kitchen. It's even got side walls, which makes preparing and eating food pretty easy in most conditions. Our camp kitchen's also deep in our private space - we haven't had problems with anyone making off with our kitchen gear. Going back many years, we did have a couple problems with people finding people going through their coolers on burn night, but back then we didn't really divide the public and private space that well, and to some really entitled drunk people I guess they thought our darkened camp kitchen was just a really poorly staffed self-service playa bar. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm

trilobyte wrote:Going back many years, we did have a couple problems with people finding people going through their coolers on burn night, but back then we didn't really divide the public and private space that well, and to some really entitled drunk people I guess they thought our darkened camp kitchen was just a really poorly staffed self-service playa bar. :)

They probably expected you to turn on floodlights and some really loud trumpet blare sound file and take them to the stage and do some sort of japanese quiz show segment with them.

They went away severely disappointed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

[media]
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Swope904 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:25 am

Okay lol that was funny. I would hate for anyone ever to get dust in their sand lol.

But as far as the topic goes I kind of get it. I will probably end up over doing it. As because I am traveling from the farthest point you could almost drive from and will be buying all my stuff for use on the playa.

Im gonna look more into threads on the subject of things getting stolen and see what items seem to be someones first thing to grab if they get the chance. Or the right time.

Thanks for some of the info. Would still love to hear from other to chime in on the subject.
Swope904

Postby 9ah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 am

I don't grill, but have campmates with stoves and such. Never seen em locked up, but they are within our village and such.

@Swope - Curious, are you originally from CA? I noticed you had FL CA on your profile pic.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 am

"Out of sight, out of mind" pretty much takes care of most things.

If I was worried about the kitchen, I'd just put everything under the table and throw a tarp over it. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby asr9754 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 am

The first thing someone would grab is probably an unlocked bike, second would be a loose baggie of "party treats", third-loose alcohol, and fourth-food.

It's a balance between common sense and paranoia, and not taking valuables if you're that worried about them. Just be smart about where you leave stuff and you can always lock important items (wallet, cameras, tools, RXs...) in your car. If someone walks off with a bottle of wine in the middle of the night, it sucks but don't let it kill your burn.

I'm always little more careful on Burn night (Saturday). We do a sweep thru camp and make sure all valuables are locked before we leave camp. The other tips on this thread are all good.
asr9754

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 pm

We have a denim cover I stitched up for our propane stove/oven, keeps most of the dust out. We have a kitchen bin for dishes/utensils and things like paper towels, so those stay less dusty. Our food is in clear bins, but we also bring a portable green house to use as a pantry. Setting food on shelves makes things easier to find than rummaging around in the bins. The green house is covered in clear vinyl, so we can see what is there, and the dust stays off. The coolers all have covers I made, so they aren't obvious either.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Swope904 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:34 pm

9ah wrote:I don't grill, but have campmates with stoves and such. Never seen em locked up, but they are within our village and such.

@Swope - Curious, are you originally from CA? I noticed you had FL CA on your profile pic.

No I am from Florida born and raised. I have always wanted to go to California. I went on a trip in 2012 to Nevada and was really upset I was a few hundred miles away from California but had no way to get their and back home.

So this year in 2014 I am gonna make that part of my trip to burning man. Hence the FL CA. I was gonna put FL to CA put it wouldn't fit in that little sketch thing I drew and still look cool.
Swope904

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:00 pm

asr9754 wrote:The first thing someone would grab is probably an unlocked bike, second would be a loose baggie of "party treats", third-loose alcohol, and fourth-food.

See, I think they'd grab the booze and the bike, for a drinking/driving combo...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Like AntiM, I conceal my coolers. :)

Unlocked bikes, booze, & tools are the things that seem to get stolen--attractive, portable stuff. If someone entered my camp kitchen they'd probably take a snack or a beer, not a grill or something big.

Tips here:
Is there a problem with stealing at BM?
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=58178
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Food & Drink