Freezing water bottles

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Freezing water bottles

Postby guinguin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 am

I am guessing people generally don't freeze water bottles to put in the cooler because of expansion and busting the plastic, but if you emptied a small amount like half a cup from them, then froze them and put them in your cooler, would that work?
It seemed like a good idea "lets freeze all our water and put it in the coolers!" But then it seemed like there had to be a flaw in the idea or everyone would be doing it,? Thanks for any advise! Not the most savvy camper in the world.....also it's just me and my gal friend so 2 coolers probably.
Also someone recommended: dry ice at the bottom then food then ice and duct tape it shut....is that a good idea? I don't know squat about dry ice.....thanx again!
guinguin

Re: Freezing water bottles

Postby asr9754 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes it works, I do it all the time, not just Bman but camping and backpacking.

The secret is to fill the bottle only about 80-90% full, squeeze the extra air out, then put the cap on tight as you're squeezing it. Then freeze. As it freezes, it will have room to expand without breaking the bottle.

Even better, I do the same thing with a (rinsed) plastic gallon milk jug, freeze it at home and throw it in the cooler en route, it lasts a 3-4 days, then I have clean cold water to drink. Once I drink it, then I cut the top 1/3 off the jug, and when I buy ice from Artica, I set the whole thing (Bag and all) in the jug in my cooler--it stays colder longer, and when it melts it's contained in the jug, still clean enough to use to shower, wash up, brush teeth, etc. Then smash the jug and recycle on your way home. Total reduce-reuse-recycle LNT! Less gross cooler water to deal with. Win-win-win (WIN!)

(PS dry ice is great but don't duct tape it shut, dry ice needs at least a tiny bit of ventilation)
asr9754

Postby guinguin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks! This is exactly what i was wondering about with the single gallon water jugs.
And I found the threads about the dry ice.....
:)
guinguin

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I did this last year & still had frozen bottles on Friday. I dedicated 1 cooler for frozen 2 liter soda jugs & dry ice. I think I used 20-30 pounds of dry ice (but I did have a 2000 mile drive to the Playa). Each day I checked the food cooler & if it needed ice I transferred 1-2 jugs in to it. The best part is when the jugs thaw you just use them to fill your camelback. Or you could just buy ice & meet great people in line. :D

-It works best if you pre-freeze the jugs & cooler before you hit the road.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby BurnerBunny » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:04 pm

The only thing I do differently is freeze with the caps off. That way there is no chance of explosions. I leave the caps on the top of the freezer to remember to put them on before I use the frozen bottles.

asr9754 wrote:Yes it works, I do it all the time, not just Bman but camping and backpacking.

The secret is to fill the bottle only about 80-90% full, squeeze the extra air out, then put the cap on tight as you're squeezing it. Then freeze. As it freezes, it will have room to expand without breaking the bottle.

Even better, I do the same thing with a (rinsed) plastic gallon milk jug, freeze it at home and throw it in the cooler en route, it lasts a 3-4 days, then I have clean cold water to drink. Once I drink it, then I cut the top 1/3 off the jug, and when I buy ice from Artica, I set the whole thing (Bag and all) in the jug in my cooler--it stays colder longer, and when it melts it's contained in the jug, still clean enough to use to shower, wash up, brush teeth, etc. Then smash the jug and recycle on your way home. Total reduce-reuse-recycle LNT! Less gross cooler water to deal with. Win-win-win (WIN!)

(PS dry ice is great but don't duct tape it shut, dry ice needs at least a tiny bit of ventilation)
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby swampdog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I use 2.5 gal water bottles from the store. THere's enough air space and flexibility in the bottle that I've never lost one.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby TT120 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 pm

I do it all the time as well.

Fill a 2 liter bottle about %80 full.
Squeeze most of the air out and cap it.
Freeze the bottle.
Profit.

There will be plenty of room for expansion.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 am

I had friends who always bought cases of bottled water and froze them as-is. Never a problem.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Verve » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi, new person here. I've read that you can put the blue ice packs back into a cooler with dry ice and they will refreeze, would this work with soda bottles of water or is that too much mass?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro. Hunter Thompson
Verve

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Ratty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:17 pm

After the first year, (when all my bottles were split and I didn't know it), I freeze them a little at a time. ½ a bottle then I fill them the rest of the way. Any ice that I buy from Arctica is put in a big zip-lock. Yes, I always have water left over but I use it after exodus to wash my windshield and other windows.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:03 pm

if you tilt the bottle a little while freezing, and don't fill it all the way, so the neck is only half blocked by ice, it's much easier to drink from while melting.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm

I save the straight sided half gallon plastic juice bottles (ocean spray juices have these shapes) I buy from time to time over the course of the year. These fit nice and tight in my coolers, and small freezer compartment. I always try to keep my freezer as full as I can with these types of bottles, if I don't have much frozen food in there. It saves on energy as I open and close the door, and they are always ready to throw into a cooler when needed. I like the milk jug idea for holding arctica bought ice, thanks asr9754. I keep a milk jug with a hole cut out of the top, in my bike basket for moop.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby BBadger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Elorrum wrote:I save the straight sided half gallon plastic juice bottles (ocean spray juices have these shapes) I buy from time to time over the course of the year. These fit nice and tight in my coolers, and small freezer compartment. I always try to keep my freezer as full as I can with these types of bottles, if I don't have much frozen food in there. It saves on energy as I open and close the door, and they are always ready to throw into a cooler when needed. I like the milk jug idea for holding arctica bought ice, thanks asr9754. I keep a milk jug with a hole cut out of the top, in my bike basket for moop.

Always a good idea! They're like refrigeration batteries that you only need to top off a little each time that saves your house power.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Love these ideas...however, my leetle RV freezer gets filled with Trader Joe's mochi ice cream. Even with an RV frig, I always take a good cooler for keeping beverages icy cold.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby jola » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

I used to do this all the time for camping... buy the one gallon water bottles, open them, empty about a quarter of them out and freeze them with the lids off. Always worked great. UNTIL two years ago. Did everything the same (even the same brand, which I believe was Arrowhead, not certain though). This time when the ice melted there was white stuff settling in the water, it almost looked like salt had been dumped in. The only thing I can figure is that they have made all the bottles "eco friendly" and the extreme temperatures cause the bottle to break down. ?? Anyone else have this issue?
jola

Burning Since: 2014

Return to Food & Drink