Dish Washing Tips?!

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Dish Washing Tips?!

Postby CandyFaery » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Last year I organized a communal kitchen for our camp for the first time and I learned a TON and have lots of ideas about how to make it better this coming year, but one thing i'm kind of stumped on is how to improve the dish washing situation. Last year I had some small tubs that i filled with a little water and biodegradable soap, but it was a clumsy, messy and inadequate process. I feel like the dishes were never fully clean and while I'm not that picky about it, i do like to cook and eat with clean dishes and utensils. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks! :)
- Sparkle
CandyFaery

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Dish Washing Tips?!

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Paper plates, bowls, cups.

Potato flatware.

All of the above are BURNABLE.

Now about those pots and pans...(maybe boil in the bag, including homemade seal a meal)...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby gaminwench » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 pm

3 spray bottles
1)Water & bleach
2)water & soap
3)water & vinegar

paper towels
scrubber
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby BBadger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Bring more dishes and utensils, and wash more dishes at a time, but less frequently. You will need space for them, but dishes and silverware pack up pretty easily anyway.

Most water waste is from washing few dishes at a time. With more dishes, and doing many dishes at once, and make the most of whatever improved method for washing you utilize. Leave a tub of water with diluted bleach or dish soap to soak the dishes you're saving up to have cleaned, so that food doesn't cling to the surface. Doing all the dishes at once will help you avoid that lame squirt-the-dish-soap-quick-wipe-clean that people usually do with their camping utensils. That wastes water, soap, and doesn't clean as well.

For your improved method of washing, use this methodology. The key is boiling some hot water, get some real detergent, and do a proper cleaning. Hot water. Not warmed water. Get some gloves if it's uncomfortable. It's gotta be hot. Heat is what does the cleaning. Plus, washing dishes doesn't seem as gross and shitty with hot water. Let the sun do the drying to save yourself some extra work.

For keeping dishes sanitized, you can get some surface sanitizer such as Star San. Star San A 1oz squeeze creates 5 gallons worth of sanitizing solution. Keep it in a bucket and you can use that all week long. An alternative is to put it in a squirt bottle. The sanitizer puts a tasteless acidic "film" on the dishes that prevents anything from growing on them. As you can see above, it's used in beermaking where keeping things sterile is very important.

Remember that you need to wash dishes in real detergent before using the sanitizer. The sanitizer alone is not enough to clean dishes, but prevents clean dishes from becoming contaminated.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm

moonrise wrote:Paper plates, bowls, cups.
Potato flatware.
Now about those pots and pans...(maybe boil in the bag, including homemade seal a meal)...

Seconded. We did use pots/pans, which we did not clean well this year. Will use some of the advice here for those :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 pm

MacGlenver wrote:
Potato flatware.

Seconded. We did use pots/pans, which we did not clean well this year. Will use some of the advice here for those :)

Thirded. Or, require commune members to bring their own dishes/flatware...you know, that radical self-reliance thingy...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Sail Man » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
MacGlenver wrote:
Potato flatware.

Thirded. Or, require commune members to bring their own dishes/flatware...you know, that radical self-reliance thingy...

Fourthed :)
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:33 pm

gaminwench wrote:3 spray bottles
1)Water & bleach
2)water & soap
3)water & vinegar

paper towels
scrubber

For health code inspections it's: Water and Soap, then Rinse Water, then Water and Bleach. And this is pans. If you're cooking for enough people to need an inspection, then this isn't as big a thing.
(These tips given for those people reading this thread who don't know that they need to know more to feed the multitudes.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Everytime I glance at the title to this thread my mind reads "Dick Washing Tips" :oops:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Rice » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 am

lucky420 wrote:Everytime I glance at the title to this thread my mind reads "Dick Washing Tips" :oops:

Now that is a slightly different process. Bleach is not (necessarily) the best product to use ;)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby unjonharley » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 am

stretch80 wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Everytime I glance at the title to this thread my mind reads "Dick Washing Tips" :oops:

Now that is a slightly different process. Bleach is not (necessarily) the best product to use ;)

I went for years.. Thinking Peter Pan was a wash basin in a whore house..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:20 am

Tobasco teabag torture?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

For that you need to Ask Alexyss:

[media]
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby TomServo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 am

Finger foods ONLY!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby unjonharley » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:47 am

Dish washing tips

If it was good enough for de L. Pasteur, it's good enough for me.

Scalding the piss out of the metal dishes/pans and quick air dry
unjonharley

Postby ranger magnum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Use non stick pots and pans.

Let residule food dry on said pots n pans

Simply wipe clean
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Dr. Dust » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Washing dishes on the playa is a waste of time and water (unless you're using cooler water or similar). Definitely go with the burnable paper plates, bowls, cups, and flatware, but make sure you bring a safe/ appropriate burn apparatus because only wood and cardboard are allowed in the community burn gardens. Also, only burn your trash once the winds have died down, since the ash can create moop. It's best to haul out as much as possible.

Also try to avoid sharing your pots and pans, but instead, cook extra food for your friends when you are hungry. Self-reliance all the way! (This usually prevents that blood-boiling frustration when you realize someone used your cooking supplies and did not clean them, so you now have to clean the dishes before AND after you use them before heading out to the playa. not fun.)
Dr. Dust

Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby CandyFaery » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Thank you all for the tips! <3 I will definitely be taking those ideas with me to the playa this year :wink:
CandyFaery

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 am

We use the small dish pan/soap/boiling water system. Cooler water, all the way. Because we don't have a larger kitchen, no bleach (but we do have it with us). Never eat off a dish with a bleach film, it can put you into the med tent. Learned that in 2003 when a newbie cleaned the breakfast plates with a Clorox wipe and didn't rinse them.

For a small camp, in case you aren't going to have a communal kitchen and wonder what to do: We have one set of dishes per person (cup, mug, plate, bowl, utensils). They are labeled. If your dish is dirty, and it wasn't present during dish washing time, you have to clean it. If you leave your dirty dishes out too long, they get put in your tent. We do have a couple guest mugs for coffee, but not many. We do pack a small amount of paper plates, and have one spare large camp plate which can be used as a serving plate.

Most of our food is precooked, so the heat up process involves either boiling bags or a heat up in the camp oven. Larry does more baking than cooking. Every pan is lined in foil, easy to clean, just toss it. I refuse to bring a skillet or pot, because I know how it goes, the cook is also stuck with the clean up. Utensils are cleaned with a minimal amount of boiling water.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theJOYOUS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:16 pm

HELLO ~ I hope replying here bumps this back to the top!! I have questions about cleaning dishes on playa without using water. I am just cooking for me & not even cooking ~ just looking for a way to clean my plate, fork & cup ~ won't be eating messing foods, simple stuff like miso soup, potatoes, oatmeal ~ and wondering if there's been a method to cleaning without a "pan" or "sink", using very little water in order not to have grey water.

I was thinking Clorox wipes or something.. just wanted to get some thoughts. THANKS! :coffee:
theJOYOUS

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Use the clorox wipes then be sure to wipe them down again with a damp paper towel.

No grey water that way. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DrYes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:33 pm

You wait for your caterers to do it for you, obviously.

(I kid, I kid.)
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 pm

I was in a camp a few years back that did a lot of cooking for a lot of people. We had nasty pots & pans. This goody looks like it might be very helpful for such a situation. It's a bamboo wok scrubber, http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cui ... o+scrubber
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Elorrum » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Solo camper dishes. I don't cook much, but make soup, and noodle stuff, I use the cooking pot... one or two liter as the wash pan. Put hot water (you don't need a lot) and soap ( I use REI biodegradable camp soap) in there. Scrub the pot and use that dishwater to wash the bowls, and utensils. then pour grey water out through a funnel that holds a little bit of aquarium filter floss, into a grey-water 5 gallon container. Rinse all pots and dishes, with garden sprayer, regular water, over the same funnel.
put the filter material in air dry trash container.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 pm

TomServo wrote:Finger foods ONLY!

you don't want camp mates fingers in the community foodbowl or plate..just think where those fingers have been.

" I want this piece, no, puts it back, grabs another, etc." .........scratches what itches, then starts over again............. EEWWW GROSS
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theJOYOUS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Use the clorox wipes then be sure to wipe them down again with a damp paper towel.

No grey water that way. 8)

THANKS for the tip ~ I think for this year this is the best way for me.. just wanted to make sure on the Clorox wipe idea. Good deal, thanks a lot!
theJOYOUS

Postby delle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:36 am

AntiM wrote: Never eat off a dish with a bleach film, it can put you into the med tent. Learned that in 2003 when a newbie cleaned the breakfast plates with a Clorox wipe and didn't rinse them.

Please don't forget to rinse WELL.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Return to Food & Drink