WATER is the problem !

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

WATER is the problem !

Postby Yotam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 am

hello !!
im new here in eplaya, and will attened to my first BM hopefully in summer 2012, with a friend.
now there are TONS of things im not sure about how to prapare myself to this crazy event..
my biggest concern is the water problem.. we'll be sharing a ride with someone, (we will come from Israel and we cant afford to rent an RV/car..), but how the hell am i gonna bring all the water i need (like 11 galons !!) for myself..?? what do you, ride sharing people that go by themselfs do?

another Q- i'll arrive a week befere in San Fransisco - will it be hard to find a ride with someone..?

how hard it will be to find a camp to join to? (i dont want to be alone there, i want to share shalter food and drinks with campmates).

thanks very much guys !!

Yotam
Yotam

Re: WATER is the problem !

Postby trilobyte » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:20 am

Water is not the problem. You just need to keep it under consideration as you plan your trip, and make sure the person you'll be riding with can take you, your stuff, and the water you'll be picking up along the way (most people traveling from SF don't pick up their water until they get to Reno).

You'll probably want to start working out a rideshare long before you get to SF. Sometime in the spring the rideshare board will be opened up, and you can use that to try and work something out with somebody. Additionally, you can use the Share Resources board (in the 2012 event section) to post about looking for a rideshare, if you want to get an early start.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

Four "suitcases" and a gallon jug.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:38 am

Watch lots of "Survivorman" re-runs before you leave. I once saw him squeeze water out of a......Never mind, that was way too gross. Just pack enough H2O for the trip. But seriously dont underestimate the importance of staying hydrated. Dehydration & high temps can kill.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:44 am

What about your shelter, your food? Are you bringing all of these from Israel?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:49 am

They are bringing some of the advanced instant tents from the Israeli army. They fit in a pocket. But it takes a lot of water to reconstitute them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:What about your shelter, your food? Are you bringing all of these from Israel?

I see no problem with that.
packit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby TT120 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Watch lots of "Survivorman" re-runs before you leave. I once saw him squeeze water out of a.......

It was a pile of elephant poo and it was gross as hell!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Yotam, we're giving you a hard time because you haven't done your homework.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Read the survival guide & other resources on the burning man web site & read as much on hear as you can. If you come ill prepared someone may/probably will pity you & help you out or if you are unlucky you will be on your own. Being across the ocean puts you at a bit of a disadvantage but you can still plan ahead & make it work. No matter how well you think you have planned everything be sure to have a "plan B" & even "C". If you were starting in the midwest I would consider letting you tag along with us but I would need to know you better. Good luck.
FlyingMonkey

Postby unjonharley » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Four "suitcases" and a gallon jug.

Suit case of water is a 2,5 gallon plastic container of water..
It is called suitcase for it's shape with handle..
unjonharley

Postby Yotam » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 am

Guys ! :)
thanks for the replies.. beleve me - if i could bring a tent from the Israeli army i would ! but i finished my service 2 years ago and i cant do that..
im well aware of the preperation i need to do, but really i have to tell you - i saw alot of field in my life, and after a 3 year service in a combat unit, alot of backpacking, and lots of "survival trips" in highschool, i know what im facing here.. im a true field guy and i like it !!! and my favorate landskape is the desert - we have planty of it in Israel..

Hooooo i've done TONS of home work.. im reading about this festival for years and i just couldnt get a chance to get there till now - but its still a thing i know i've never experienced before !
i read all the survival guied in the website - its really good information - but it is a problem when you're on your on (at first - i will meet new friends very soon), and you need to carrie all the things on you back (water for 7 days !?).
i was hiking alot in argentina chile and peru - there are water everywhere, and you dont need to carrie water for 6 days on your back..

im gonna bring only the camping gear from home, a costume, and all the things i cant get in the states..
food is not a problem - i've packed food for 7 days before - it doesnt need to be so fancy - no more then cans and fruits of something.
bikes i will get before, and pack it up the car im gonna share the ride with..

i really dont think i will get to a situation that someone will pitty me and help me - im going there to have fun !! i'll have to find new friends and join their camp, share costs, cooking, drinks and gists i'll bring.. thats what its all about isnt it?

FlyingMonkey wrote:If you were starting in the midwest I would consider letting you tag along with us but I would need to know you better

i plan to get to BM from San Fransisco - is there where you are from??
Yotam

Postby Yotam » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 am

TT120 wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Watch lots of "Survivorman" re-runs before you leave. I once saw him squeeze water out of a.......

It was a pile of elephant poo and it was gross as hell!

dude i remember that chapter !!! lets hope it wont be the case next burn ! hahah
Yotam

Postby Foxfur » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:03 am

Welcome Yotam!
You've taken the most important steps already; Joining Eplaya and asking questions.
I was a soldier in the US Army and have seen many deserts.
All of that experience helped but not nearly as much as participating in these forums.
These wonderful folks made the difference between burning and BURNING!
Stick around and ask questions and you will burn right :D
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 am

Yotam wrote:i plan to get to BM from San Fransisco - is there where you are from??

The "Midwest" refers to states roughly from west of the great lakes to east of the rockies. San Francisco is right on the west coast.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby remi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Bring money with you. Buy ice... melt ice... drink water.

Ice and coffee are the only things you can purchase in BRC, however, make sure to bring plenty of water.. sometimes the ice vendors run out.. and you don't want to rely on a variable. I'm just suggesting this as a possible way to consider bringing a little less water. And if you do run short, I'm sure a neighbor would be more then happy to help, as long as your a cool neighbor.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Nipple » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:27 pm

remi wrote:I'm sure a neighbor would be more then happy to help, as long as your a cool neighbor.

Plan on being surrounded by the wrong kind of assholes.

Revel in satisfaction when you find you were incorrect. Applaud yourself for being prepared anyway.

(I was on A at 8:05 this year. My neighbors were the backsides of a wall of RVs. I didn't get to interact at all. Outside of one time when one of them rode their bike right through my camp and hit the bright orange guy strap to our shade structure. His response to my "WHOA WHOA WHOA!" was "I SAID EXCUSE ME!" as though inanimate objects spiked to the ground will politely move.)
Nipple

Postby wh..sh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Nipple wrote:Plan on being surrounded by the wrong kind of assholes.

Thanks for being precise on the description.

Yotam, you could buy water once you get to Reno. Just plan on giving yourself half a day in Reno to buy water and such.
From SF to Reno, try to find a rideshare or you could rent your own car provided you have international driver's license and feel safe doing so.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Nipple » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 pm

wh..sh wrote:
Nipple wrote:Plan on being surrounded by the wrong kind of assholes.

Thanks for being precise on the description.

I pride myself on knowing right from wrong!
Nipple

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Yotam, if you still want to join a camp, know that the 2012 Theme Camps forum will become more active soon (especially after folks start confirming their ticket purchases in the main sale in February). Here's a link to that forum, but it's easily found from the main index, too. There's a helpful thread at the top about how to join a theme camp.

viewforum.php?f=283

Joining a camp is not a must--more often than not I don't have one--but it can be fun & worthwhile. You would want to look for a camp that inspires you, so that any work you end up doing remains fun or meaningful. Most camps want you to contribute work or pay a fee or both, but of course you also receive whatever benefits they give their campers.

I note that Green Tortoise Hostel in San Francisco will be having Burning Man trips this year. Their longest trip is only 5 days, but on the upside, they provide transportation from SF, food & water. (You would still need to shop for--or bring--your own tent, and camping supplies.)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby B the B » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I agree with the melt ice technique because I will be riding a motorcycle out and that's my plan. Keep in mind if you camp far from an ice vendor this could be labor intensive as a large bag of ice melts down into a small jug of water. Even if the ice vendors run dry and you run out at the same time, no real burners (read: not talking about frat boys, spectators, and yahoo rv-dwellers here) are gonna let you succumb to dehydration. Do whatever you can to get as much water out there with you for yourself and others in need, and bring plenty of light weight small but cool gifts, and you'll be just fine. It may seem counter intuitive and against BM principles but on the playa it's generally ask and you shall recieve, even if you aren't asking outloud. Disclaimer : Above poster shall not be held responsable for people becoming dehydrated due to excessive drunkenness, stonededness, hangover, unwillingness to perform random sexual favors or public decency, lack of innovation, inability to give meaningfull hugs and kisses and companionship, or being overly dumb and/or introverted
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Yotam wrote:i plan to get to BM from San Fransisco - is there where you are from??

The "Midwest" refers to states roughly from west of the great lakes to east of the rockies. San Francisco is right on the west coast.

I'm driving a bus so if someone would like to kick in for gas money I would consider a slight diversion off the route but I think Frisco is out :D
FlyingMonkey

Postby jcliff » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:06 pm

No worries friend! You're gonna get there with your water! A couple suggestions:

1.) Don't assume that you can't rent a car because of cost. I fly in from Illinois, and I've always gotten really cheap rates through Priceline (the name your own bid section of it.) Granted, I know nothing about doing that from Isreal, but I'm guessing they work with international customers. Last year I bid $12 per day and my bid was accepted. With taxes my rental was about $150 for the week. Be aware, that the car has to be cleaned to the point of spotless (including the engine,) or you will be charged $200 or so for the cleaning. Last year I went through a car wash that charged me extra for opening up the hood and cleaning the engine. I think the car wash itself cost me $20. Then I spent an hour and a half cleaning the interior and spot cleaning the exterior. The time and cost of the car wash was well worth it.

2.) People who offer ride shares expect that you will be bringing gear, food and water. Five suitcases of water (12.5 gallons) per person is really suffiecent and it doesn't take up as much space as you would think. Two of you needing transport is a little more to work with, but certainly do-able.

Be cautious about a ride back. I've heard many stories about people being left on the playa without a way back. That's why I encourage you to explore cheap car rental possibilities.

I have no doubt that the planets will align for you. You'll be just fine, and you are doing the leg-work now that will make all the difference!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Sassy Britches » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Yotam, there are also bunches of other people who come to Israel, flying to SF or Reno. My daughter camps with several, we spent time with them last year too (even on the Playa kids come to parents to be fed: :D
I can try to put you in touch with them if tou'd like, just send me a private message.
Sassy Britches

Postby Playa+Tom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:31 pm

The Gerlach Services District sells water, bring your container. It beats dtagging 200 pounds of water up the mountain.
Playa+Tom

Return to Food & Drink