Playaware

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Playaware

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:09 am

What do you bring to the Playa to eat and drink with?
Do yo uhave standard camoing gear? A cool mug on a Caribiner? China? Plasticware? Do you carry it with you whereever you go or do you leave it at camp? What is your rig?

For 2012 I have finally acquired a complete messkit complete with bladed spork and self-contained plate and pan. It is about the size of a average hardbound book. In addition, I just bought a huge carabiner to attatch my mug to. All areas of food and liquid intake are now fully under control and moop free.

Napkins? Sleeves and scarves baby!

Next?
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Re: Playaware

Postby shykat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:21 am

Plain,old,regular forks,spoons and knifes. Paper plates with one of those plate coozies. re use when poss, burn in barrel if not. Wash silverware with garden sprayer after licked clean.

This subject i did not need to over think,which i tend to do with everything else.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:31 am

We found great mugs at REI which have a covered sealable lid and the handle actually has a gate at the bottom like a carabiner. A bonus to this is the handle will slip over a belt or pocket and hold your drink while you light up a smoke or whatever. Ours took quite a beating all week and they held up well.

http://www.rei.com/product/769058/rei-camp-cup-with-clip-grip
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

We bring washable/reusable plates and silverware. It's a sort of hodge-podge mix of metal and plastic in the fork/knife/utensil department, and the plates are either an enamel coated metal camping plate or some plastic guys. Key features = non-breakable and washable. For napkins, we just use paper towels (we got a few rolls of those "select-a-size" types for multi-purpose camp use.

We then do the whole 'dry kitchen' thing, which causes us to use more paper towels than we would normally, but a LOT less water. We use an environmentally friendly cleanser (can't recall the name offhand, my gf is the "in charge" person for the kitchen), and she has a cool cheese-cloth + watering can setup so that most of the water can be filtered to the point where we can sprinkle it on the street. We still have some funky stuff that ends up in the evap, but by reducing what goes into the pond it increases the evaporation efficiency bigtime (we actually had no scary graywater buckets coming home this year, a first). The paper towels can then go into the burnables.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Sounds a lot like our kitchen. We have plates and bowls for those we know will be in camp, with our names sharpied on them. That way, if YOUR plate is dirty, you clean it and don't just move on to the next clean plate. We have silverware in the kitchen box, but we all have titanium sporks. We tend to have move coffee cups than we need, but they're popular with visitors. We abscond with disposable wooden chopsticks all year as a back up, they go in the burnables bag. We have mugs with lids too, in case I want an iced drink in camp. Our take around cups are stainless steel goblets; they fit into the camelbak pockets or bungee onto the bike or Larry's kilt loops.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:25 pm

GI Mess kit, with its attendant KF&S, circa... 1982. Also have one for Shamama, Circa 1966. Can't beat the originals!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Bob wrote:Image

Bob, I haven't seen one of those in years.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I have a single Lexan bowl (durable, relatively heat resistant), Lexan mug (heat resistance is nice), hard plastic fork and knife, and chopsticks. Never needed more than that, but always remember to wash (and dry!) them immediately after eating lest the shit stick on you need to clean it right before eating (which sucks).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby diss0nance » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I grab whatever mix matched silver and a frisbee for a regional i went to once
diss0nance

Burning Since: 2004

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 am

How about cleaning your dishes? How are we reducing MOOP/Grey water when we clean our plates and cups? Any luck with using hand sanitizer as a dish cleanser?
"Lemonade is a lie!"
MOOP_Nazi

Postby essjay » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 am

MOOP_Nazi wrote:How about cleaning your dishes? How are we reducing MOOP/Grey water when we clean our plates and cups? Any luck with using hand sanitizer as a dish cleanser?

Easy: 2 spray bottles. 1 filled with clean water; 1 filled with clean water & a few drops of dish soap.

Spray dish with soapy water to clean; spray dish with clean water to rinse. Very little water used with this method.
essjay

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 am

Nice!!

Simple and effective!
"Lemonade is a lie!"
MOOP_Nazi

Return to Food & Drink