Playa services / food you can buy in advance online?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Playa services / food you can buy in advance online?

Postby irishpolyglot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey all! While we don't use money on the playa, we obviously use it to book things in advance: such as entrance and a place on many camps. I was wondering what other things you can buy in advance (and have your name on a list or bring a code as proof of payment)?
Like is there some secret kitchen we can buy tickets to eat really nice food at, or a place to take a daily shower that you can book in advance, etc.?
Just wondering :)
irishpolyglot

Re: Playa services / food you can buy in advance online?

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Food court sales start at 6am Monday. Discount coupons are sold at the souvenir shop.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm

..no. There is no commerce at BM other than ice and coffee. Your camp dues are between you and your camp, not BM. It's up to you to make your own nice meal or make that nice shower with evap devices... or to meet generous people that may offer.

Radical self reliance is not just a saying..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Actually, it is possible. However, you would have had to plan long before this & be prepared to pay anywhere from $3500 - $10,000 for the week.

No, I'm not kidding: just wait until you read our cover story: "VIP in BRC".

junglesmacks is correct about the rest: there is no commerce on the playa; and at this late date there's no way to get the kind of advance services you're looking for.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby irishpolyglot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes, I realise that. I was curious to see if people offer things that would be just between us, just like it's between me and my camp that they offer me access to a basic kitchen and a nice camping place. But that would be paid in advance to avoid the nastiness of cash exchanges occurring during the week.

BM isn't commercial, but there are exceptions. Ice and coffee are one, entrance to particular camps are another, and I was just wondering if there are others. I don't think it's an unreasonable question :wink: I realise that it won't be governed officially by BM, the same way camp entrances aren't.

I don't need anything in particular. I did fine with my basic supplies (I didn't bring any food at all for my first burn and used nothing but Irish charm to eat for free all week), but this point has been on my mind.
irishpolyglot

Postby irishpolyglot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:48 pm

@Eric OK thanks! I heard about some hotel on the playa that you have to book, so I imagined there would be super VIP services, but if there's nothing I can get at this late stage then it's good to know :)
Back to packing and preparing the list!
irishpolyglot

Return to Food & Drink