Virgin Burner - Vegan-ish n Gluten Free-ish

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Virgin Burner - Vegan-ish n Gluten Free-ish

Postby beachlife » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Just got my ticket(Yes there are people other than scalpers who re-sell their tix)

For those of you who are Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten-Free, what do you bring with you?

I'm thinking:
almond/brazil nuts
canned tuna fish
canned beans
boxed butternut squashed soup (dairy free) - though I do wonder just what % is vegetables though squash is the 2nd ingredient
water
Udi Gluten Free bread
Sabra Hummus (says keep refrigerated?!)
V8
V8 fusion
Cliff Bars - Vanilla Almond Builder is my favorite - http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Builders ... B000Q5XO4S

if I figure out a cooler/dry ice way:
smoked salmon/lox
hard boiled eggs
real vegetables?!?

some helpful links:
http://ecohearth.com/eco-blogs/clean-an ... g-man.html
and
viewtopic.php?p=478048

thanks friends
beachlife

Re: Virgin Burner - Vegan-ish n Gluten Free-ish

Postby shewee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't know if this will help you at all, but I'm making things like gluten free meatloaf and casseroles, freezing them in freezer bags, and essentially making my own "boil in bag" dinners. I would love to eat out of a can and a bag for a week, but my body does not tolerate that much salt and sugar. I need real food, as much as I hate to admit it. This way I can have real home cooked food every day.
shewee

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:18 am

beachlife wrote:Just got my ticket(Yes there are people other than scalpers who re-sell their tix)

For those of you who are Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten-Free, what do you bring with you?

I'm thinking:
almond/brazil nuts
canned tuna fish
canned beans
boxed butternut squashed soup (dairy free) - though I do wonder just what % is vegetables though squash is the 2nd ingredient
water
Udi Gluten Free bread
Sabra Hummus (says keep refrigerated?!)
V8
V8 fusion
Cliff Bars - Vanilla Almond Builder is my favorite - http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Builders ... B000Q5XO4S

if I figure out a cooler/dry ice way:
smoked salmon/lox
hard boiled eggs
real vegetables?!?

some helpful links:
http://ecohearth.com/eco-blogs/clean-an ... g-man.html
and
viewtopic.php?p=478048

thanks friends

I bring the same stuff I eat IRL. Tip on your bread, though, it will spoil really fast. Don't leave it tied up in the bag. It'll fill with moisture and mold. After I wasted about $30 my first year on GF "treats," I skip the bread, now.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby beachlife » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:14 am

C.f.M. wrote:
I bring the same stuff I eat IRL. Tip on your bread, though, it will spoil really fast. Don't leave it tied up in the bag. It'll fill with moisture and mold. After I wasted about $30 my first year on GF "treats," I skip the bread, now.

ug, that sucks. good tip. thanks.

shewee wrote:I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't know if this will help you at all, but I'm making things like gluten free meatloaf and casseroles, freezing them in freezer bags, and essentially making my own "boil in bag" dinners. I would love to eat out of a can and a bag for a week, but my body does not tolerate that much salt and sugar. I need real food, as much as I hate to admit it. This way I can have real home cooked food every day.

good idea, I've heard a lot of friends going this route. though would require me to cook in advance and bring a cooler. Did a cooler at fuente, it worked for the most part, but that was decent temps and only a few days. Cooler at BM seems like a lot of work. I would think you want salt from all the desert sweating
beachlife

Postby phil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

beachlife wrote:>SNIP<

would require me to cook in advance and bring a cooler. Did a cooler at fuente, it worked for the most part, but that was decent temps and only a few days. Cooler at BM seems like a lot of work. I would think you want salt from all the desert sweating

They sell ice at Burning Man. Also check here:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/quickMeals.html
for vegan, gluten-free, kosher, and other specialty meals that don't require refrigeration. Some are "self-heating" and some are boil-in-a-bag. Most of these meals are high in salt.

You can use your browser's search function to search the quickMeals page for whatever your needs are. If you are going to order online, you'll need to get a move on for shipping.
phil

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Just eat bacon all week. Mmmmmmm ..... Bacon
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby beachlife » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm

good idea. but, no fried food for me. I'm actually a healthy Vegan-ish....minimize my times in the port-o-potties!
beachlife

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Chips, not bread, or something that's supposed to be dry anyway.
You can get dry hummus and falafel mix. Bring pita chips.
Lemons and avocado with garlic powder make guacamole.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Spoonicus » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:40 am

[quote="beachlife"]
canned tuna fish
smoked salmon/lox
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but this is something that really gets on my nerves. Dont you realize that the worlds fish stocks are being rapidly decimated?? Whats the point in calling yourself vega/vego if you're going to be okay with eating fish??? You'd have a better time arguing the moral benefits of eating all animals except the aquatic variety.

Seriously..
Spoonicus

Postby bauhaus » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 am

choosing your diet what a first world luxury.
bauhaus

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:12 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Chips, not bread, or something that's supposed to be dry anyway.
You can get dry hummus and falafel mix. Bring pita chips.
Lemons and avocado with garlic powder make guacamole.

Pita chips aren't gluten-free.

Go with a g-f veggie chip, try to get some healthy shit in that.
C.f.M.

Postby haolegolucky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 pm

bauhaus wrote:choosing your diet what a first world luxury.

Going to burning man...what a first world luxury.
:roll:
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:10 pm

My girlfriend picked me up some delicious gluten free/vegan boxed "just add water" powdered hummus and powdered refried beans...I can't remember what brand though. She picked them up at our co-op, but I guess they also sell them at Nugget Markets and Win-Co (and probably Whole Foods)
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby The Bee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Spoonicus wrote: Whats the point in calling yourself vega/vego if you're going to be okay with eating fish???

I'm a lacto- ovo- pork chop-o- vegetarian.
The Bee

Postby The CO » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 am

Spoonicus wrote:
beachlife wrote:canned tuna fish
smoked salmon/lox

Dont you realize that the worlds fish stocks are being rapidly decimated?? Whats the point in calling yourself vega/vego if you're going to be okay with eating fish???

Seriously..

I love what you're saying, but I assume you know that decimate(d) means to reduce by a tenth?

Ya, a vegan that eats fish. Do you wear leather or wool?

I'm a vegetable rights activist.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

The CO wrote:
Spoonicus wrote:
beachlife wrote:canned tuna fish
smoked salmon/lox

Dont you realize that the worlds fish stocks are being rapidly decimated?? Whats the point in calling yourself vega/vego if you're going to be okay with eating fish???

Seriously..

I love what you're saying, but I assume you know that decimate(d) means to reduce by a tenth?

alas, I understand now that usage has pushed it unto the opposite of it's literal meaning. (What's the latin for ninety?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 am

Bagels last pretty well out there, as well as tortillas. Other than that, I bring mostly canned stuff. Ice chest is for beer only. :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

It's already been stated, but...why would you include fish on your list when addressing vegans & vegetarians? :roll:
stanley

Postby The Bee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

stanley wrote:It's already been stated, but...why would you include fish on your list when addressing vegans & vegetarians? :roll:

You young folks probably don't remember this, but back in the early days, there were no vegetables on the dinner table except for potatoes and vodka. The pioneering vegetarians were those who ate green beans with their meat and potatoes. After a while, anybody who ate vegetables was known as a vegetarian, regardless of whether they ate meat or fish with their vegetables. I'm sure the OP was referring to these old school original vegetarians who eat a whole variety of vegetables with their meat and fish as opposed to people who just eat potatoes and gravy with their meat. :P
The Bee

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 am

I'm old enough to recall when butter was a food group.

We found gluten free beer, bringing out a six pack to try.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 am

Come on. Butter was such an awesome food group that it counted as two!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby beachlife » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 pm

thanks to all who replied, some great suggestions.

So others who are in my boat can learn. Here's how my diet went. First, my appetite dropped through the week and I didn't really gain it back until I was hours outside of BLC on the drive back. Not sure if it was the heat, the altitude, or playa dust. What I ate during the week

- 1/2 bottle Almond Butter (yes they do come in plastic, found at Costco)
- 1 Green Been can daily
- Imagine Foods Creamy Butternut Squash - dairy free - had a few during the week
- G2 Electrolyte packets mixed with water - this was essential
- Pringles
- Pinto Beans in a can - few during the week
- Emergen-C packets mixed with water - few during the week
- Brazil Nuts
- Almonds
- Cliff Bars
- Luna Bars
- Lots and lots of water
- Pop Chips - salted
- Metamucil - only needed once, thankfully

I wound up bringing home a lot more food than I brought. will keep this in mind for next year. Items such as full bag salted almonds, carton of Almond Milk that doesn't need refrigeration until opened, 6 pack - salmon in a can(SO much tastier than tuna fish in a can), stomach ease tea, My Vega vegan whole food optimizer

Camp did a daily ice run, so while I decided not to go the fresh route, it wouldn't have been a problem to have raw veggies

Also, people were so generous in their food gifting I strayed from my diet a bit, and felt mostly fine(though eating a little chicken for first time in 9mo gave me a reason to visit Port-o-Potty. I figured it's Burning Man, I'm in the desert, if I can eat food that falls on the Playa floor, I can stray from my preferred diet just a bit. And I'm glad I did.

PS- may I point out that wrote "ish" in the subject. It's my diet, I choose what I want to eat for health reasons(Dr's strong recommendations), if you want to eat a plant based diet, great, if you choose to eat only meat, great as well. I'm not judging.

Thanks again all, hope you had a great BURN
beachlife

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:44 am

This will be my first burn (hopefully--if STEP tix pan out),
and I am a vegan.

Here are some things I am planning to bring (may be helpful to other vegans out there):

Primal Strips (vegan "jerky" made of seitan, avail. at whole foods).
canned beads
vacuum sealed marinated tofu (asian grocer)
vacuum sealed pre-cooked brown rice
canned soups, etc.

hardy fresh fruits (oranges for later in the week, nectarines for the first few days)
nuts of all kinds, seeds of all kinds
individual "juice box" packs of almond milk, rice milk, juice, etc
hearty whole grain bread
peanut butter
chia seeds (add to your water--increase your hydration)
coconut water packs
dried fruits/apple chips
protein bars
crackers
hummus POWDER (add to water on playa and chill in cooler)

but you know what i am so sad about: HOW will i get a salad? is it foolish to even think of trying to make a cold salad on the playa? will veggies keep past a day or two.

and, as far as the discussion of using the term "vegan" without being vegan, i offer a helpful suggestion:
if you sometimes eat vegan food, but are not committed to a completely vegan diet/lifestyle,
it might be more accurate to use the following labels to describe yourself:

"flex-i-tarian" or "vegetarian-ish"

this may help reduce flack from vegans. I am a vegan, and I understand both sides of the issue.
happy, healthy food on the playa for all :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby beachlife » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for chiming in!

Do you recommend a particular brand of hummus powder? Where do you get it? For my camping trips in general this has been a great thread

great idea on Chia seeds, been adding this daily to my cereal, really helps on on the, um, how do I say, solidness of what exits

If you wanted a cooler, you can. There are 2(or maybe even 3 this year) ice camps that sell ice daily. Our camp last year made a daily run. Many people had cooler food to enjoy...so your salad dream can become reality.

Good Point on the labeling. I've been telling people flexitarian, it works well, but doesn't exactly describe what is he flexitarian about. Vegetarian-ish still implies dairy is okay, so that won't work.
beachlife

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:13 am

Do you recommend a particular brand of hummus powder? Where do you get it? For my camping trips in general this has been a great thread

great idea on Chia seeds, been adding this daily to my cereal, really helps on on the, um, how do I say, solidness of what exits

If you wanted a cooler, you can. There are 2(or maybe even 3 this year) ice camps that sell ice daily. Our camp last year made a daily run. Many people had cooler food to enjoy...so your salad dream can become reality.

Good Point on the labeling. I've been telling people flexitarian, it works well, but doesn't exactly describe what is he flexitarian about. Vegetarian-ish still implies dairy is okay, so that won't work.

hi beachlife! :)

hummus powder: go to the ethnic section of your grocery store, and look for the jewish/kosher/passover stuff (see matzos and gefilte fish, and you're in the right section). there u will find hummus powder, tahini powder, tabouli mixes, all dry and boxed. just add water.

chia seeds: i hear ya! they solidify things alright. ahem. yes, moving on... :)

i will prob. bring a cooler and get ice daily at artica. i was even thinking of volunteering at artica: volunteer a few hours each mornig, grab some ice at the end of my shift, and bring back to camp :)

i hear ya on the difficulty of finding a label that accurately describes your dietary choices. i am vegan, have been for over a year, and it is a very cut and dry way of telling people what i do and don't eat. mind you, i said people understand what the term means (mostly), but that does not mean they LIKE or respect it.

but when u are a kinda-sort-pescatarian-thingy, it gets hard for people to understand. and why do people get so damn agitated by someone ELSE'S food?
and i say that as a very committed ethical vegan. i dislike agression and bullying on either side: mean vegans and mean meat eaters both disrupt my serenity :)
FeetOfClay

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 am

FeetOfClay wrote:but you know what i am so sad about: HOW will i get a salad? is it foolish to even think of trying to make a cold salad on the playa? will veggies keep past a day or two.

Search for "dry cooler".
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 am

thanks fishy--will research that post haste! salads! YUM :)
FeetOfClay

Return to Food & Drink