Question about real fruit

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Question about real fruit

Postby Gage » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a while, and now that were in full-on prep mode, I was hoping for some advice...

I want to bring outruit this year, for personal consumption & for gifting throughout the week. I have a Trike with a cooler, and I would like to take fruit out with me everyday... Does anyone have suggestions on how to best store it for the trip/week? And then maybe some suggestions for serving portions & way to serve it throughout the day while I'm oot-n-aboot?

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions! :D
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Re: Question about real fruit

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Lots of people are going to be advising you against it. Personally, we bring fresh fruit, but we also bring an electric refrigerator. You don't want to pass out anything with a large pit in it, like a peach, because that will stand a good likelihood of just becoming moop. Same goes for rinds, like watermelon. If you are serving that, make sure it's seedless and cut it off the rind. (not maybe so good for passing out from your trike.) At camp, we'll cut up a whole watermelon and pass around slices on the rind. But in our camp, everyone knows where the rinds are supposed to go. Skin as in oranges isn't a good idea because of the moop factor, but you could server orange sections already peeled.

Common sense is your best friend here.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:21 pm

I always take some fruit out.

Bananas I leave in the open, in shade.
Mango and some others I keep in the tray in the top of the warmer cooler.
gyre

Postby Gage » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for the reply JK. I was leaning more towards frozen grapes & pineapple, and fresh strawberries...
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 pm

GageNdG wrote:Thanks for the reply JK. I was leaning more towards frozen grapes & pineapple, and fresh strawberries...

Holy crap, frozen grapes mid-week would be heaven! Pull them off the stems, put them in small ziplocks in quantities you think would work to carry around, carry those with you.

Couple of warnings: make sure you're extremely clean in your prep for this, and, whatever you do, do not let anyone reach into the bags!! You really want to make sure food is clean, the food sickness isn't something you want on the playa! It would probably be easiest to pour a few into people's hands.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 pm

That sounds yummy! And would be a hit on the playa IMHO. All you'll have to do now is figure out how to keep the grapes frozen.
GageNdG wrote:Thanks for the reply JK. I was leaning more towards frozen grapes & pineapple, and fresh strawberries...
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Minxy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Oh dear god, a frozen grape is sheer heaven out there. Seriously. Better than an orgasm.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 pm

jkisha wrote:That sounds yummy! And would be a hit on the playa IMHO. All you'll have to do now is figure out how to keep the grapes frozen.

Same way you keep anything frozen out there- ice, a cooler that only gets opened once a day and a "regular" cooler, the grapes for that day get moved to the regular cooler, the other cooler doesn't get opened again.

Check the "cooler" threads.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Gage » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 am

Love you guys/gals! Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought about other people diving into my food. I'll find a way to give out small portions at a time without creating more moop...
Gage

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 am

They make zip lock bags that are standard width of sandwich size but only 3" deep give or take. That might work. Or, if you're looking for something even smaller, try head shops or coin shops--search for small zip lock backs on Google.
GageNdG wrote:Love you guys/gals! Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought about other people diving into my food. I'll find a way to give out small portions at a time without creating more moop...
JK
Elderberry

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:52 am

jkisha wrote:They make zip lock bags that are standard width of sandwich size but only 3" deep give or take. That might work. Or, if you're looking for something even smaller, try head shops or coin shops--search for small zip lock backs on Google.
GageNdG wrote:Love you guys/gals! Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought about other people diving into my food. I'll find a way to give out small portions at a time without creating more moop...

Bead shops will also have small bags, hardware stores. Food grade? No. Does that matter?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 am

Minxy wrote:Oh dear god, a frozen grape is sheer heaven out there. Seriously. Better than an orgasm.

you might be doing it wrong.... Frozen grapes are great!
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Minxy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:05 am

=D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Bead shops will also have small bags, hardware stores. Food grade? No. Does that matter?

Electronic suppliers sell them by the millions, various sizes and strengths.
gyre

Postby jella » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:28 am

I couldn't imagine a week without fresh fruit personally , last year a cut up melons at home cut into chucked and mixed with grapes and berries then stored in gallon zip lock bags in our rv fridge. I shared a little but consumed most of it myself soooo hydrating and refreshing !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby phil » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:53 am

People often hand out fresh fruit and veggies on the playa. My objection is that we then have people wandering around with apple cores, banana skins, orange rinds, and the like, looking for a place to put them. If you're going to hand out stuff that generates garbage, kindly stick around and collect the waste.

People _love_ the fresh stuff, but it's really aggravating having them wander around asking people to take their garbage because they don't want to carry it around.
phil

Return to Food & Drink