Stomach trouble?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: Stomach trouble?

Postby NellieX » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 am

Savannah wrote:
I'll be picking up a brand of electrolyte powder someone recommended in a different thread (I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head).

Vitalyte gets mentioned a lot here. I'm intrigued also by Cytomax, which is a bicyclist sport energy drink with electrolytes. I stumbled across it on a biking site while looking for stories about heat exhaustion (as one does).
http://www.cyclingsite.com/collected_wi ... olytes.htm

The reviews at Amazon are very positive, though it appears that the flavors are of varying success . . . if you can get a sample first, do!

I like Pedialyte (apple flavor) and varying juices and snacks.

Vitalyte's the one. I read a big thread on it the other day. I'll check out Pedialyte as well.
NellieX

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:49 am

These are my favorite ginger candies. Very ginger-y indeed. Fantastic for nervous/upset stomach. (Much tastier than antacids). Better to let dissolve on your tongue if you have the time, rather than chew it ferociously, as it will stick in your teeth a little. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Ori ... B000BP1SDM

I've seen these on sale for less in regular grocery stores (typically the nicer variety) and not always in the candy section . . . sometimes near spices or natural foods. And Cost Plus World Market usually has them.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby NellieX » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

Savannah wrote:These are my favorite ginger candies. Very ginger-y indeed. Fantastic for nervous/upset stomach. (Much tastier than antacids). Better to let dissolve on your tongue if you have the time, rather than chew it ferociously, as it will stick in your teeth a little. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Ori ... B000BP1SDM

I've seen these on sale for less in regular grocery stores (typically the nicer variety) and not always in the candy section . . . sometimes near spices or natural foods. And Cost Plus World Market usually has them.

Ginger candy is so painfully delicious (the last time I ate it, my tongue got burned). Thanks for the link. There are a lot of Asian grocery stores around here, and I've seen very inexpensive ginger hard candies and crystallized ginger (and of course, sushi ginger).
NellieX

Postby Jax Dee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Does this only happen camping? I saw you mention finals and wondered if it might be stress related. I have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome which pops up any time I am stressed, physically or mentally. I take a lot of fiber and my doctor gave me some script called levbid which helps keep my tummy in order. You might want to discuss the IBS possibility with your doc.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:45 pm

All good tips and suggestions. We bring a decent-sized bottle of Immodium AD for our camp's use (small group). Like a fire extinguisher, it's a good thing to have that you hope you never have to use.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Damn the spammers!!

I have IBS and recently discovered I cannot eat raw bananas either. I have yet to have a serious problem while in BRC. Some have said it's all the dust, that there's enough alkaline in it to act as a daily dose of antacids. Also, I'm lucky enough to have a foodie in my camp that prepares better food than I usually eat the rest of the year, and I don't eat as much volume at the event - two things I know make a huge difference. I avoid all alcohol IRL and on the playa and I know that works for me.

Vitalyte is good and Ceralyte is also very awesome. I was told ceralyte is favored by DPW.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Something out there makes me pretty "regular" but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I think it's either the alcohol or playa dust. I'd avoid heavy beer if it's a problem as that has a crapload (no pun intended) of fiber in it. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby NellieX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:15 am

Jax Dee wrote:Does this only happen camping? I saw you mention finals and wondered if it might be stress related. I have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome which pops up any time I am stressed, physically or mentally. I take a lot of fiber and my doctor gave me some script called levbid which helps keep my tummy in order. You might want to discuss the IBS possibility with your doc.

It happens when I'm stressed or incredibly excited. Basically, I'm a puppy.

I'll get it checked out, thanks for the info.
NellieX

Postby NellieX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:33 am

trilobyte wrote:All good tips and suggestions. We bring a decent-sized bottle of Immodium AD for our camp's use (small group). Like a fire extinguisher, it's a good thing to have that you hope you never have to use.

If we bring enough Indian food, "fire extinguisher" might be an apt description.
NellieX

Postby NellieX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:34 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:Something out there makes me pretty "regular" but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I think it's either the alcohol or playa dust. I'd avoid heavy beer if it's a problem as that has a crapload (no pun intended) of fiber in it. :D

Heavy beer on a hot day doesn't appeal to me. I'm more of a citrus cocktail kind of girl.

Beer shits are bad enough in the comfort of my own home.
NellieX

Postby Jax Dee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:41 pm

NellieX wrote:
Jax Dee wrote:Does this only happen camping? I saw you mention finals and wondered if it might be stress related. I have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome which pops up any time I am stressed, physically or mentally. I take a lot of fiber and my doctor gave me some script called levbid which helps keep my tummy in order. You might want to discuss the IBS possibility with your doc.

It happens when I'm stressed or incredibly excited. Basically, I'm a puppy.

I'll get it checked out, thanks for the info.

You sound just like me. Fiber is your friend and def see your doc.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Postby gaminwench » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:42 pm

I've found that, in addition to hydration, daily granola intake is crucial to my regularity on the playa...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby NellieX » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:16 am

gaminwench wrote:I've found that, in addition to hydration, daily granola intake is crucial to my regularity on the playa...

What does the granola do for you?
NellieX

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:48 pm

It's fiber.

However, granola is crap. Muesli is da bomb.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby NellieX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 am

theCryptofishist wrote:It's fiber.

However, granola is crap. Muesli is da bomb.

Mmmm, muesli. Hold the raisins, add craisins.
NellieX

Postby FireyLeela » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 am

These are all pretty fantastic tips, Badger!

Sorry for my late response! I was looking up info on IBS and this just so happened to be one of the threads to come up. Unfortunately, despite these fabulous tips, I'm still having some uber tummy troubles. I've heard somewhere that colorectal polyps can also cause these IBS like symptoms. Does anyone here have or know of anyone with polyps? I've been experiencing pain and I'm guessing that this might be the case.

And of course, one more question -- can colorectal polyps turn into tumors? If so, how does one treat them? Anyone here ever hear of proton therapy? Thanks all!
Leela
Where can I learn more about proton therapy?
FireyLeela

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:12 pm

Leela
This is really a good time to talk to a medical professional rather than a bunch of snotty know-it-alls on the internet.
At a guess, if you were so sick that waiting two weeks would be an issue, you'd be in such pain, discomfort, whatever, that you'd have no zest for the burn. But like I said, that's a guess. My insurance has a number that I can call with questions and talk to an advice nurse. My mother's insurance has much the same thing. I know, this is America, and you might not have health insurance, but I'm trying to point you into the direction of actual useful information.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:32 am

FireyLeela wrote:These are all pretty fantastic tips, Badger!

Sorry for my late response! I was looking up info on IBS and this just so happened to be one of the threads to come up. Unfortunately, despite these fabulous tips, I'm still having some uber tummy troubles. I've heard somewhere that colorectal polyps can also cause these IBS like symptoms. Does anyone here have or know of anyone with polyps? I've been experiencing pain and I'm guessing that this might be the case.

And of course, one more question -- can colorectal polyps turn into tumors? If so, how does one treat them? Anyone here ever hear of proton therapy? Thanks all!

You need a doctor, not us, and not the stupid internet.

Polyps can indeed become cancerous tumors. They have killed many of my family members and took a whack at me. The way to address them is to have them burned/snipped off during a colonoscopy. They cause ZERO symptoms while small, but once they become tumors, you're fucked. Pain needs to be looked at by a medical professional, DON"T FUCK AROUND with long term intestinal pain.

Proton therapy? That would only be appropriate with a diagnoses of cancer from a medical professional, and would only be part of comprehensive cancer treatment. Face it, in order to find a tumor, they have to look up your ass. Anything else is not 100%.

Do you even KNOW if you have polyps?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lady V » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 am

Make sure you don't have a wheat intolerance or full-blown gluten allergy (many people get WI as they age)--you can try eliminating anything with wheat in it (check ingredients--wheat is almost everywhere!) for a few days. Try charcoal caps for nausea or diarrhea. They work instantly for nausea and within a few hours for diarrhea. Charcoal is used in hospitals when people overdose or are poisoned. It absorbs toxins, viral particles, bacteria... You can buy them at any drug store. Take with a full glass of water. Great for IBS and gas pain, too. Daily calcium-magnesium-zinc tablets work well for many people with sensitive digestive systems, also. And remember the BRAT diet (bananas--not so easy out there--rice, applesauce, tea/dry toast)--eat only that for 1 day, then slowly introduce other foods, with raw veggies and fruit and dairy added last. (You can tell our family has a lot of these issues!) :D
Lady V

Postby Monkeypoo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Lady V wrote:Make sure you don't have a wheat intolerance or full-blown gluten allergy (many people get WI as they age)--you can try eliminating anything with wheat in it (check ingredients--wheat is almost everywhere!) for a few days. Try charcoal caps for nausea or diarrhea. They work instantly for nausea and within a few hours for diarrhea. Charcoal is used in hospitals when people overdose or are poisoned. It absorbs toxins, viral particles, bacteria... You can buy them at any drug store. Take with a full glass of water. Great for IBS and gas pain, too. Daily calcium-magnesium-zinc tablets work well for many people with sensitive digestive systems, also. And remember the BRAT diet (bananas--not so easy out there--rice, applesauce, tea/dry toast)--eat only that for 1 day, then slowly introduce other foods, with raw veggies and fruit and dairy added last. (You can tell our family has a lot of these issues!) :D

Wheat intolerance is huge. That's what happened to me. I suffered for 18 months with cronic everyday (every minute) pain, diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, etc....was in and out of the hospital last year (3 times within 2 weeks in August), lost 23 pounds in a month, absolutely was terrified they were gonna find cancer with all the blood tests, MRIs, CTs, etc. I couldn't keep any food down, I became afraid to eat. Not good. My grandson is on a pretty strict organic diet. I noticed when I ate his foods, I didn't get sick. So I cut out wheat, dairy products, all meat (but seafood, fish & bison), sugars/fructose/sucrose, coffee, booze, anything I couldn't pronounce on a label. I only ate the foods that eats. I got better. Amazing! Then I began taking an HGH spray under my tongue 4x a day beginning last August. HGH is a human growth hormone we're all born with, but as we age we lose it. I swear by the HGH...and with my change in diet. It's been a Miracle Cure. I've been able to get off all those anti-depressants & bipolar meds they had me on for decades too (don't be scared now) & I am incredibly fine now. No more mood swings, outbursts, suicidal feelings, anxiety, compulsions, or acting out. It's great. Gradually, I am beginning to introduce foods back into my regimen. I can drink milk again, organic only -- the kind that comes in the glass bottles with the yummy cream sitting on the top. Yummo! Maybe all those antibiotics that they shoot into the animals really is harmful. Anyway, I really care about what goes in my body now. Well, except for my Rockstars(tm). I'm working on it. :P Sure feels good not getting sick anymore, as long as I stay on my right path. Peace.
Monkeypoo

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:34 am

my change in diet. It's been a Miracle Cure.

amen! Hippocrates said, "let food by thy medicine", and i agree. I too was healed of IBS symptoms by eliminating dairy, artificial sweetners, and overly-processed soy (still do some soy).

here's another idea for combating the squirts (in addition to pepto, bland eating, and whatever else works for you):
deep breathing.

several times throughout the day, and ESPECIALLY if you are feeling the rumbles of a shit attack imminent, breathe slowly in and out, close eyes, repeat in your mind, "I am safe. i have everything i need in this moment. though I feel the urge to use the bathroom, i am safe and calm. i will make my way to the toilet. i will not need to run. there is no danger around me. i am surrounded by love"

i know that sounds hokey and weird, but i has literally prevented me from shitting my pants while driving or in public more times than i can count.

(always carry wipies :) )
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby Jax Dee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:
my change in diet. It's been a Miracle Cure.

amen! Hippocrates said, "let food by thy medicine", and i agree. I too was healed of IBS symptoms by eliminating dairy, artificial sweetners, and overly-processed soy (still do some soy).

here's another idea for combating the squirts (in addition to pepto, bland eating, and whatever else works for you):
deep breathing.

several times throughout the day, and ESPECIALLY if you are feeling the rumbles of a shit attack imminent, breathe slowly in and out, close eyes, repeat in your mind, "I am safe. i have everything i need in this moment. though I feel the urge to use the bathroom, i am safe and calm. i will make my way to the toilet. i will not need to run. there is no danger around me. i am surrounded by love"

i know that sounds hokey and weird, but i has literally prevented me from shitting my pants while driving or in public more times than i can count.

(always carry wipies :) )

This is SO true. Great advice. So much of IBS is also linked to anxiety and stress, so deep breathing and remaining calm can do wonders for an "attack". In regards to the poster who mentioned polyps...what everyone else said...if you believe you have this problem then a doc visit and a colonoscopy is the way to go. And it is a painless procedure so if you have health insurance and can set t up asap I suggest you do that. If you do not have insurance then see what you can do locally about getting county/state/fed care and getting seen asap as well. Not something to mess about with at all.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Postby moonrise » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Yea, don't eat soy, it IS toxic! Your health food stores are hiding behind Crisco and Wesson and the profit margins of farming that toxic bean, blech (they lied)!

Carry Imodium AD. Period. (Trilo beat me).

Granola is soooo helpful (gaminwench's food for thought). Thanks for da advice teach'!

And of course bring all those hand sanitizers, wipes and all for the potties.
I think yggy brings his own can of Lysol for da potties, talk about mean and clean, those poor germs. If anything you can always turn it into a mini flame thrower :twisted:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Sunny D » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 pm

All of these are great suggestions, especially ginger! Another alternative to soothe the stomach is drinking aloe vera juice. It's great for pain and hangovers.
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are.
- Eckhart Tolle
Sunny D

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a stomach like yours and have to do the quick step to the JOTS pretty frequently out there. I think one of the biggest issues is being sure you get dishes and food prep utensils clean, sanitized and well rinsed. HOT water is your friend.

Fiber/Metamucil usually fixes me right up.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Previous

Return to Food & Drink