DIY Sports Drink

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

DIY Sports Drink

Postby SouthernExposure » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm

I did a Google search the other day and found a do-it-yourself sports drink recipe from WebMD. I mixed up a batch and sampled it. After a little adjusting, I am real happy with it. Very tasty and will definitely be in my Nalgene on the playa.

MIx the following exact quantities together in small individual containers like pill bottles or film canisters:

1/2 of a container of Sugar-Free Crystal-Lite (or similar store brand), any flavor will work, I used Fruit Punch.
1/2 tsp table salt (sodium chloride)
1/2 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1/4 tsp salt substitute (potassium-chloride) ie: Lite-Salt or Morton's Salt Substitute

Dissolve the mix in 1 quart of water, shake and drink.

I found the mix to be a little too strong for my taste, so I reduced the quantity to about 2/3 of the mix in the quart of water.

WebMD warns to be fairly precise with the measurements and to NOT give this drink to children under the age of 12.

The drink supplies your body with electrolytes derived from salt & baking soda (sodium)and the Lite-Salt (potassium). I wanted to avoid the high sugar content of drinks like Gatorade and Powerade, so I used sugar free Crystal-Lite for flavoring. Please avoid this and all electrolyte sports drinks if you are on a sodium restricted diet.

SouthernExposure
SouthernExposure

Re: DIY Sports Drink

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Glucose, Fructose, Citric Acid, Sodium Cloride, Potassium Cloride, Natural Orange Flavor, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Citrate, and Beta Carotene

1 quart =

Servings: 4
Serving Size: 15 g. or 8 fl oz.
Calories: 40
Sodium: 68 mg, 3%
Potassium: 92 mg, 3%
Vitamin C: 60 mg, 100%
Calcium: 2.1 mg, 0.2%
Magnesium : 1.6

Just sayin'
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:47 pm

One book I read said to simply add some lemon juice, salt and sugar to some water.

You need a little carb/sugar to replenish your blood sugar. I'd use some complex sugars, such as honey, maltodextrose, or even glycerol.

You could add some variety to the electrolytes by using low-sodium salt, which uses some potassium chloride. You could get some Epsom salts and add a smidge of that as well, since that's magnesium salts.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby The Bee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm

How do these compare with my DIY Sports Drink:
Spicy V8 or Spicy Trader Joes Vegegable Juice (non-lite), Vodka, ice.
The Bee

Postby JStep » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 pm

The Bee wrote:How do these compare with my DIY Sports Drink:
Spicy V8 or Spicy Trader Joes Vegegable Juice (non-lite), Vodka, ice.

Or bacon and plain tap water?
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby DustHand » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 pm

I prefer the 500 cans of Four Loko my friend bought before they became "illegal."
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby essjay » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

DustHand wrote:I prefer the 500 cans of Four Loko my friend bought before they became "illegal."

Loko is still for sale in Nevada.
essjay

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Good for reviving this topic Southern. The body runs on potassium, sodium and chlorine ions. Most forget the potassium. Don't.

Powder Gatoraid-like is very inexpensive in stores. But you likely don't need the sugar.

If you are feeling weak and disassociated, and haven't been dosing on electrolytes, get some objective friends around you and get you to medical, they are super essential and chill.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby DustHand » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 am

essjay wrote:Loko is still for sale in Nevada.

They still sell it, but they took all of the caffeine and other stimulants out. :cry:

My buddy has the original. When consumed in moderation, it really is magical.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 am

some seeing eye wrote:Good for reviving this topic Southern. The body runs on potassium, sodium and chlorine ions. Most forget the potassium. Don't.

Powder Gatoraid-like is very inexpensive in stores. But you likely don't need the sugar.

If you are feeling weak and disassociated, and haven't been dosing on electrolytes, get some objective friends around you and get you to medical, they are super essential and chill.

"Objective", I like that usage. :)

What, then, of coconut water?
Or pickle juice?
http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 am

Ugly Dougly

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 am

DustHand wrote:
essjay wrote:Loko is still for sale in Nevada.

They still sell it, but they took all of the caffeine and other stimulants out. :cry:

My buddy has the original. When consumed in moderation, it really is magical.

I must admit, I too went and got a small stock pile of the good stuff before they were pulled off the shelf and replaced with the now "Loko-Lite" as I call it.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby dcweas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

There are several similar recipes out there -they are based on the WHO rehydration drink recipes. In my office we use them for patients who have excessive GI losses, from high-output ostomies or surgical conditions leading to chronic diarrhea. One word of warning - it is possible to **overdo** the electrolytes, and those recipes really are for people who are losing large amounts of electrolytes. If you start having muscle cramping, muscle weakness, tingling in your face or extremities, diarrhea, changes in mental status (but who could tell any of these things from what you will already be experiencing out there?!) be seen by a medical person! It's good that you are cutting the lytes back a little - basically if it's not tasting good, it's probably not what your body needs at the time!

PS - when I'm hungover, I will sometimes shake some salt into OJ and drink that - same concept.
I'd rather hit the books.
dcweas

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:01 am

This is a good word of warning. Probably a good idea would be to alternate between water and electrolytic sports drinks while hydrating out there.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 am

When drinking plain water doesn't slake my thirst, I usually that that as a sign to get some electro-lytes. It's what plants crave.
Brawndo
Ugly Dougly

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

You are right about the plants. Our receptionist just about gave me a heart attack when she dumped Epsom Salts in our potted palms in the office. To her credit, they have flourished following the treatment.

Who knew?

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am

I'm going to try that when I get home. I've got a container of Epsom salts (for splinters) that doesn't get a lot of use.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby SouthernExposure » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 am

I wanted to post a follow-up report on the effectiveness of the Sport drink recipe after having used it on the playa this year.

I mixed up a batch of the recipe and divided it up into separate containers for dissolving into a 1 quart Nalgene bottle of water. At BM, I alternated drinking 1 quart of the mix and 1 quart of plain water. This system seemed to work out my hydration needs very well throughout the week.

I experienced no headaches, muscle pains, cramps, dizziness or any other symptoms normally associated with dehydration. By my experience, I would not hesitate in using this recipe for any hydration situations in the future. :D :mrgreen:

SE
SouthernExposure

Return to Food & Drink