Smoothies on the Playa

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Smoothies on the Playa

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 am

Hi to all, after reading many post about how the heat makes ones appetite very small, I started brainstorming what my sweetheart would or could even bother to consume while not really having an appetite. He is a very lean 6' tall guy whom is always hungry. Even when he does not really have an appetite, I've noticed he needs to eat b/c he gets so weak. So I was thinking the one thing he will eat/drink with no fuss is a smoothie. Well then I started thinking oh jeez middle of the desert how the heck am I going to make this work.

I'm hoping I can pull this off. I'm thinking of making pre-made smoothies putting the servings into baggies, then freezing. Placing them into a cooler with dry ice (doing what is necessary to insulate the dry ice properly etc.). Then when on the Playa I would open the dry ice cooler once a day grab 4 baggies of smoothies out and transfer to the regular ice cooler.

I have already tried out the smoothie in a baggie from the freezer - I just got it out and let it thaw a bit then kneaded the bag a bit to help if all become the desired smoothie consistency then opened one corner of the bag, stuck a straw in it and voila. Was very easy and not messy to deal with just took the straw out when finished, zipped the little end closed where the straw was and then you can just toss that baggie in the trash.

Does this sound even remotely feasible?
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 am

Yes, it does. We took ice cream and frozen cream puffs one year, but the end of the week, they were still frozen, but had carbonated from the dry ice! You may want to test that, in case you don't like the way it tastes like that.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:52 am

oh carbonated huh - hum - is that like having a club soda taste without the fizz? I suppose I should double bag or at least place the smaller baggies into large freezer bags, maybe that would help keep out any carbonated flavor. Then they would be easier/quicker to remove one whole 4 pack larger freezer bag from the dry ice cooler to quickly shut it. Thanks for the heads up on the carbonation testing, I'll be doing that for sure (don't want to be all the way out in the middle of no where and realize 1/2 way through the week - the smoothies all taste funny.) I suppose by that point tho - I'll still consume anything cold ha.
Rabbette

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:15 am

No, I think he means that they became too cold from the dry ice, so it looked like Han Solo serving as a wall decoration for Jabba the Hutt--i.e. frozen solid. Dry ice gets down to −56.4 °C (−69.5 °F), whereas ice cream should be kept at just about freezing (0 °C, 33 °F).

You'll have to insulate the ice cream just enough from the dry ice to stay frozen, but not too frozen. Having some regular ice around it might help with that, as it can serve as a buffer.

Edit: hmm, maybe he didn't say "carbonited". You'll still probably want a buffer.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 am

Great idea!
I think I'll try it with a couple of chocolate malts from our favorite diner, gawd they're good.
If it doesn't work out, nothing lost.
Worst case, I drink it as liquid. It's like gourmet chocolate milk :)

Ff
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 am

its ok if they are frozen like a rock! I don't mind the thawing out process... I just wasn't sure what carbonated (sp) (from dry ice) would taste like. Is it like the freezer burn taste that food gets when you've stored things to long or improperly in a regular freezer?
Rabbette

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:19 am

I think carbonation ends up souring the flavor, much like in sparkling water or over-carbonated beer.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:22 am

I scored a few cases of Ensure before the Burn, so that was my backup. There are quite a few powders that mix well with water.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:34 am

I understand many people have their appetite lessened at Burning Man, but mine is significantly increased. So if you haven't been, be aware that your appetite may be affected, but don't bet your life that you'll eat less rather than more.
phil

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 am

oh dear - I hope his appetite doesn't increase, from at least what it normally is (I don't know if we could fit enough food in the car if it does *wide eyes and a sideways grin*)

I get him the Ensure & Boost drink things all the time and I agree they are a real life saver at festivals and camping adventures.(he even has to have one of Ensure shakes nearly every day just to stop his stomach from eating away at him self)
Rabbette

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:41 pm

I have a son that has the same issues with needing to eat. I don't do smoothies for him because they are digested so quickly, leaving his stomach empty. He does best with complex carbs that take longer to break down - so I feed him like you would a marathon runner - pastas, rice, whole wheats, etc and LOTS and LOTS of protein. Protein enriched granola bars are really good.
Mojojita

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 pm

He sounds as though he might be a grown-up (correct me if I am wrong). If he needs constant mothering then the two of you might not enjoy your time in the desert.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:01 pm

This might sound obvious, but pack a snack every time you leave camp, because the Burn has a way of making you think "O hei, I'll ride out to touch the 'Man and will be right back" and suddenly 6 hours have passed and you're on an epic quest to find the Keymaster.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:02 pm

I also know that dry ice will freeze Bombay Blue Sapphire gin solid in just a few hours. Learned this the hard way at Burning Man. Gincicle anybody?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:If he needs constant mothering then the two of you might not enjoy your time in the desert.

Mojo and her sons are veteran burners, and they haven't killed each other yet. So they probably do okay.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:If he needs constant mothering then the two of you might not enjoy your time in the desert.

Mojo and her sons are veteran burners, and they haven't killed each other yet. So they probably do okay.

Of course, Fishy, they'll be fine. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm

When I first read "smoothies on the Playa" I thought this thread was about shaving your balls.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Ha ha - yes my honey is all grown up. I don't need to really take care of him, but hey you have been around your loved ones when they are hungry. It usually can either = grouchy or weak. So I just try to have things available that would be easily palatable. Then he can't get all bent out of shape when its as easy as open the bag place straw in and drink. (At least until he can figure out what he really wants to sink his teeth into (instead of me)
Rabbette

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:02 pm

True, if he gets bent out of shape, then you're the nearest target.
My wife used to carry tootsie roll pops in her purse for when my blood sugar showed signs of dropping. :)
These days, I bring along mixed nuts and beef jerky, more to my taste. ;)

It would be great if you could get some frozen strawberries, bananas, yogurt and a blender out there.... :P

Lookie that, it's dinner time!
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:14 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:When I first read "smoothies on the Playa" I thought this thread was about shaving your balls.

Dick, you thought TROJAN HORSE: Casting Call was about shaving your balls.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

I think Dougly meant the OP but point well taken. If either of my boys needed me to worry about how to make them a smoothie on the playa, I wouldn't have to kill them, they would have starved to death a long time ago.
Mojojita

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am

Savannah wrote:This might sound obvious, but pack a snack every time you leave camp, because the Burn has a way of making you think "O hei, I'll ride out to touch the 'Man and will be right back" and suddenly 6 hours have passed and you're on an epic quest to find the Keymaster.

We've done that, forgotten our snacks bag of granola bars, cheese crackers, trail mix and turkey jerky. Only going on a quick jaunt! Hours later we were far from camp and ravenous.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:34 am

Fortunately, you're in Black Rock City, and perhaps you'll encounter someone with sense of hospitality. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rabbette » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:25 am

Savannah wrote:This might sound obvious, but pack a snack every time you leave camp, because the Burn has a way of making you think "O hei, I'll ride out to touch the 'Man and will be right back" and suddenly 6 hours have passed and you're on an epic quest to find the Keymaster.

good call - I am quite the wander, and I've been described as able to get lost and can't find my way out of a paper bag. So always packing something to eat will be top of the list. (I may just put a list pinned to the inside of my bag so when I'm filling it for either day or night [maybe I'll just have to separate bags] space permitting ) I can look at the list real quick to see if I forgot anything.
Rabbette

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

I like to write my packing list for my day pack on the inside flap with fine-tip sharpie, so I won't forget things I want.

Conversely, I put asterisks next to sunscreen and sunglasses (or other day vs. night items) otherwise I'll tote them unnecessarily. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hondovious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44 pm

A manual blender might help :) I love smoothies as well and am thinking about picking one of these babies up myself.

http://www.campmor.com/gsi-outdoors-vortex-hand-blender.shtml
Hondovious

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 pm

I picked up a manual crank food processor that also has a blending blade. $20 at Grocery Outlet.
Mojojita

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

before defaulting to dry ice you should check on the costs. in my experience it was a pain in the ass to make it last more than 3 days on the playa and it's very expensive/not worth it. also dont put dry ice in your freezer as it will magically disappear (do your research).
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Rabbette » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:56 pm

woah - These will be pre-made smoothies, placed in baggies, frozen in my freezer before ever leaving my house. I don't even want to try and think of brining fruit (to use in a blender) and then try to clean it? Talk about funky grey water (more like colorful fruity sticky icky water) none the less, not what I want to deal with.

I don't plan on putting my dry ice in my freezer - that just sounds crazy. My husbands job is to remove hazardous waste, so I usually get all the info on how to handle different chemicals & hazardous materials (weather I want to hear about it or not) after his hard day at work and he needs to vent about what he had to get rid of and how it had to be done a certain way.

I'm hopefully my careful planning will work out!
Rabbette

Postby Foxfur » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Mojojita wrote:I picked up a manual crank food processor that also has a blending blade. $20 at Grocery Outlet.

Savannah! She's one of us!
Grocery Outlet RAWKS.
Except for a handful of items that's the only place I shop.
More money for propane...

Ff
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Next

Return to Food & Drink