need help deciding what to eat

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hell, I was trying to find a FD coffee alternative for my GOOD/BOB that didn't taste like chemicals or poo (tho some of the Euro market Nescafe's are actually palatable). Thanks for the arrow, CfM...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 am

I'm a firm believer in good coffee is the way to start the day!

VIA comes in a few flavors and blends (like Colombian, French Roast, etc.) and one to make iced coffee. It has a special cup, but water and a cup and a stirring spoon works fine.

I've been stuck at my grandpa's house with nothing but Sanka, so I have some instant coffee experience. 8)
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Re: need help deciding what to eat

Postby Boijoy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
dustyroller wrote:what are some good cheap meals that i could make with a tiny grill and a single cooler

I plan to use MREs, or "meal ready to eat." They come in different forms, including vegetarian, and are pretty easy to use. They have all sorts of shit in there, including cokkies, candy, fruit or jam, instant coffee and "drink mix."

And the paclaging is compact and recycleable.

I imagine other people have more elegant solutions, but I can't imagine being in the mood to cook anything.

Yeah Brian, you have an open invitation to "sup" w/ us at Metro Mart. We have a "real" meal everyday. Our group is from Reno. So, welcome.
Plus, MRE booty explosions would NOT be pretty on the Playa.
(( shudder )) the porto situation .. is well.. bad enough.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Hell, I was trying to find a FD coffee alternative for my GOOD/BOB that didn't taste like chemicals or poo (tho some of the Euro market Nescafe's are actually palatable). Thanks for the arrow, CfM...

I'm a RB man all the way:
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Hell, I was trying to find a FD coffee alternative for my GOOD/BOB that didn't taste like chemicals or poo (tho some of the Euro market Nescafe's are actually palatable). Thanks for the arrow, CfM...

ImageImage

There, I fixed it.
C.f.M.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 am

If you're lazy, you can get coffee in a can from asian grocery stores. I've seen thai iced tea too.

Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

One of our local camps, Vietnamese Coffee Camp, pulls a trolley around with iced coffee in a can.

I don't know why, but not matter how hot it is, I still like a hot cup of coffee in the morning.
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

ImageImage

There, I fixed it.

Sorry, CfM, that stuff tastes like cough syrup. :(
But hey, enjoy!
Ugly Dougly

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 am

C.f.M. wrote:One of our local camps, Vietnamese Coffee Camp, pulls a trolley around with iced coffee in a can.

I don't know why, but not matter how hot it is, I still like a hot cup of coffee in the morning.

Well, you're ahead of the curve once again CFM. In most desert countries they drink hot tea or coffee in the heat of the day to help cool down. Apparently introducing the hot liquid makes your body lower its core temperature in response.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Mojojita » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Cooking and eating well in the middle of nowhere is a part of the art for me. Super Evil Brian, come and share a meal or two with us at Jungle Camp (5:45 and G or thereabouts) we love newbs! I feed about 20 in my camp every day, always have afternoon cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, flavored and/or fully leaded coffees and teas, and big ass dinners with meat and veggie options. It takes a lot of planning but because we have lots of people in camp that have assigned jobs such as "kitchen bitch", "duke of dishes", and "baconator", no one has to work too hard at it to eat well. Planning and packing is everything.
Mojojita

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:One of our local camps, Vietnamese Coffee Camp, pulls a trolley around with iced coffee in a can.

Well, you're ahead of the curve once again CFM. In most desert countries they drink hot tea or coffee in the heat of the day to help cool down. Apparently introducing the hot liquid makes your body lower its core temperature in response.

I've read about that - the context was "hot" food being common in climactically hot countries (South America, Asia, etc.). It talked about keeping your inner temperature consistent with the temperature outside your body so you don't seem as hot.

I mean, not like you or I could EVER be any less hot, mind you. 8)
C.f.M.

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:

I've read about that - the context was "hot" food being common in climactically hot countries (South America, Asia, etc.). It talked about keeping your inner temperature consistent with the temperature outside your body so you don't seem as hot.

Well said, my friend...well said.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:

Well said, my friend...well said.

Hmmm, I've never heard that. I'll have to try the hot drink thing out. I have heard that cuisines from hotter climates tend to be spicier. Most of the spices have anti-bacterial properties, so the food doesn't spoil as quickly.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm

My bff told me about a dish they have in the Philippines - kare kare - which is oxtail in peanut butter sauce. It's probably delicious, but on paper it sounds like a pair of 8-year-olds invented it. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 pm

C.f.M. wrote: Always make coffee for your one night-sta – I mean, playa soul mate.

coffee and offer a new still in the package toothbrush.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:10 am

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote: Always make coffee for your one night-sta – I mean, playa soul mate.

coffee and offer a new still in the package toothbrush.

Such a class-act!

I will have to google that recipe, because I've always wondered what do with the ox tail at the grocery store. I like Philippino cuisine.
C.f.M.

Postby Martiansky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 pm

teardropper wrote:Precooked chicken and packages of precooked brown rice, precooked bacon and a couple of eggs, precooked burger and shredded cheese for quesas, juice boxes, Annie Chung Miso Soup, ham, chicken and tuna cups w/crackers, chips and salsa, granola bars, canned pasta things, canned chicken for later, canned weinies for mac and cheese, shelf stable unrefrigerated milk boxes for cereal. I don't tend to eat like defaultia and I don't eat much. Eat the meat first, you don't want to get sick. I don't want to cook much and it seems I take back a ton of uneaten food.

I would love to bring fresh things like fruit, bread, and BACON to the playa but driving from MN makes it difficult to keep things cold or frozen. Other then buying food closer to the playa. I don't cook much at home other then quick stuff but I sure would like to eat a bit better on playa if I actually get to go this year. (my first ear was 05 and this will be my second time)I haven't seen any of the non-frigerated milk around here and powered milk is :? to say the least. One of my other fav's is YOOHOO in the can but none of the wallyworlds around here have any. The one in WY did!

So, any other food recomendations and hints receive GREAT APPRECIATION from me!!
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:50 pm

If any store has the Horizon Farms (or other shelf-stable REAL milk) it's going to be in with the juice boxes, so don't give up on real milk until you look there. I always bring one per day. One little package is more than enough for a big bowl of frosted shredded wheat, which is a great way to start the day. (That, and a Starbucks DoubleShot).

Yeah, there is no way to keep bread nice without buying it last minute (within a day of reaching the playa) and opening it once a day for 20 min (or so) to release the condensation. Otherwise, you get mold.

If you've missed the other food threads, there are many of them and they are (at the moment) on pages 7, 8 and 9 + of this forum. Look for the page numbers at the bottom right on the main Q&A Tips & Tricks page.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elorrum » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I really don't mind powdered milk, in coffee, or even on cereal. I use it to make the envelope, or box, pasta mixes too, and I use olive oil instead of margarine or butter. I make a nice ice coffee from a coffee concentrate I cold brew at home, and powdered milk. I found that powdered milk can't be kept in the camping gear kit and used again after months of storage. ack.
Elorrum

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:09 pm

so, what ive learned from this thread is that if you threaten to eat MRE's all week, you get invited to meet some fabulous people in some fabulous camps and eat real food. hmmmmm know what? i'm going to start eating nothing but MRE's RIGHT NOW

super evil bryan - now i understand why you have a thing about texas. however, s.a. and the base are not really texas.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 am

tamarakay wrote:so, what ive learned from this thread is that if you threaten to eat MRE's all week, you get invited to meet some fabulous people in some fabulous camps and eat real food. hmmmmm know what? i'm going to start eating nothing but MRE's RIGHT NOW

Add to the list:

More bacon
More coffee
Chocolate cookies
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 am

Parmalat individual boxes?
C.f.M.

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 am

How do you keep the bacon good on the way to the playa and how long will it keep?
Martiansky

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:50 am

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 am

Martiansky wrote:How do you keep the bacon good on the way to the playa and how long will it keep?

In a cooler. Or cook it and it'll keep. That shit (regular ol' grocery store bacon) is chock-full of preservatives and chemcials. Freeze to help keep it cool longer.
C.f.M.

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Martiansky wrote:How do you keep the bacon good on the way to the playa and how long will it keep?

In a cooler. Or cook it and it'll keep. That shit (regular ol' grocery store bacon) is chock-full of preservatives and chemcials. Freeze to help keep it cool longer.

Thanks for the bacon info. :D

Is there a good place to stop to get perishables before hitting the playa?
Martiansky

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Martiansky wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

Is there a good place to stop to get perishables before hitting the playa?

From the south Fernly or Reno.
From the north Alturas (good selection) or Cedarville (not so good).
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 pm

We had a way to make pancakes easily, morning, noon and night, if you REALLY like pancakes 24/7!

The syrup was delicious (sweet tooth here) we skipped the butter :cry:

The 'just add water' type of pancake mix (done in a burnable paper cup for each pancake session) and safflower oil for greasing the pan and you're good to go (wash the pan please!)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:48 pm

I tried the just add water 'cakes the other morning and I um... didn't add enough water! The 4 (supposed to make 6-8) large 'cakes were quite thick, but not bad.
Martiansky

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink