vacuum sealers on the playa?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

vacuum sealers on the playa?

Postby daned420 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi virgin burner here,
Virgin burner from ft lauderdale here! very excited just shipped 3 huge boxes to our hotel room in reno. I plan on bringing my new foodsaver vacuum sealer and connecting it to my car cigarette lighter power inverter. I also plan on cooking in reno in our hotel room and then seal cooked meals and then just cut the tops and throw in sautee pan. Is this a good idea or not going to work the way i think it can?
2nd time burners from America's Penis (south flordia)
daned420

Re: vacuum sealers on the playa?

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm

daned420 wrote:Hi virgin burner here,
Virgin burner from ft lauderdale here! very excited just shipped 3 huge boxes to our hotel room in reno. I plan on bringing my new foodsaver vacuum sealer and connecting it to my car cigarette lighter power inverter. I also plan on cooking in reno in our hotel room and then seal cooked meals and then just cut the tops and throw in sautee pan. Is this a good idea or not going to work the way i think it can?

I'm not sure why you want to vacuum seal it. You still need to refrigerate it after you do that, so might as well use something low maintenance like ziplocs. Or just buy pre-cooked stuff in cans/pouches and you don't need to refrigerate at all.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby daned420 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:43 pm

well i was thinking that the ziplocks dont hold food as well. i will be buying 2 marine coolers for the weeks meals/drinks. i figure if i cook a few hearty meals, plus vacuum fresh veggies, fruits, and breads when we take them out whatever we dont eat, just reseal and back in the cooler sloshing around in the cooler.

once you go vacuum seal, you never want to buy ziplocks ever again. bu my concern is that the vacuum sealer could get ruined from pulling dusty air, or if the air is too dry, or voltage or wattage pullilng from the car power inverter even for the brief minute or so it would be on would be rough on it or the car power inverter.

anyone have any stories about these thingson the playa?
see yall in 11 days !!!
daned420

Postby phil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

What does the vacuum sealer draw? What is the amp-hour rating of your car's battery? How long are your jumper cables?

Give it a shot and see how it works for you. Then you'll be able to judge how to do meals next year.
phil

Postby Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I LOVE my vacuum sealer--it's my favorite small appliance. And our original food plan was to pre-cook meals and freeze them. But we decided to do Tasty Bites and canned foods instead. Less worry about food poisoning, for one thing. Vacuum sealed foods DO still have to be refrigerated. And, I think it WOULD pull in dust and ruin the works. Not to mention that trying to "cook" in a hotel is just not going to be fun. Even if there's a kitchenette, you'll be missing key ingredients and utensils. Why not make it easier on yourself?
Bling

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 pm

He's not using the vacuum sealer on teh eplaya. I think.

Are you?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Well, that would be better--but wouldn't a hotel room have electrical outlets?! :D
Bling

Postby phil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm

> He's not using the vacuum sealer on teh eplaya. I think.

Yes, he is.
phil

Postby daned420 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Hey guys thanks for your input. Yes I do (did) plan on using the vacuum sealer on the playa. Refrigeration is not a problem. I have already mailed my grill. Im a chef in real life, so naturally my gift I wanted to give tasty treats. I have travel size spices. I plan on making pot roast, pasta w/ veggies, pre cut lettuces for salads, and maybe some rice / beans and cooked ground beef for tacos. When I would get to the playa I would just cut the packages open toss into my sautee pan and serve it up. no prep needed.

my main concern was the vacuum sealer working w/ the car power inverter that fits into the cigarette lighter in the rental SUV. idk maybe im over thinking it but if everyone thinks its a bad idea then its one less thing i have to try to pack in my suitcases
daned420

Postby Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm just curious why refrigeration isn't a problem...
Bling

Postby phil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:03 pm

daned420, the people with the best ideas for Burning Man are the ones who've never been. I'd still say give it a shot and see if it works. Have a couple of back up plans: I'm serious about jumper cables - you may drain your car battery. Bring plenty of ziplocks in case the sealer fails. It'll work in the motel, but the sealer may fail on the playa.

The people with the second best ideas have been once - now they know what's impossible and plan better.

After the second year, everyone tries to duplicate their first year, and they fail. :->
phil

Postby Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:08 pm

If you're cooking in the hotel, why would you need to vacuum seal anything on the Playa? Package things in single-serve bags so you can just open what you need. Personally, (refrigeration permitting), I'd wrap the vacuum sealer in 2 or 3 plastic trash bags and leave it in the trunk.
Bling

Postby daned420 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

daned420, the people with the best ideas for Burning Man are the ones who've never been. I'd still say give it a shot and see if it works. Have a couple of back up plans: I'm serious about jumper cables - you may drain your car battery. Bring plenty of ziplocks in case the sealer fails. It'll work in the motel, but the sealer may fail on the playa.

thanks !!! thats great to hear. I love when people on this message board are supportive and positive! good stuff. you just made my night w/ that post thank you and g'night !
daned420

Return to Food & Drink