Coffee and Ice

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Coffee and Ice

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 am

Anyone know the cost of coffee at center camp? Also what is the size and cost of the ice?
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am

Ice is 7 lb bags. 3 bucks a pop...or 6 for 15$

i bring my own coffee
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 am

Okay, I think it was 3 dollars for either last year. I didn't have a cooler, so I didnt' go on ice runs so I"m not sure about that. And I think I had a coffee in 2006 in Scott's honor. So plan on that or 3.5 when you fund it, unless someone has a better sense.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 am

The two tent dwellers in our camp, my brother-in-law and myself, are early risers. The other coffee drinker in our camp is in a motor home and has the coffee making stuff. If for some reason we are up before him we might head to one of the coffee camps or center camp for our wake up cups.

I'll have 16 to 20 frozen gallon jugs of water covered with dry ice so I'm OK with ice but wanted to be prepared to get a bag or two to gift a bar.

Just needed to have an idea of how much cash to bring. Thanks for the responses.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Token » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 pm

You want to bring at least $500, in case you get tagged for a traffic/vehicle code ticket on tribal land (Nixon).

Also handy if you break down, need a locksmith or other pleasantries.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby misfit » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm

coffee at centre camp went up a dollar, now $3. a cup.....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Supergroover » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:45 pm

3$ per cup?? that better be one good late machiato or a damn fine capuchino!
"To fall in hell or soar angelic, you'll need a pinch of psychedelic."
Supergroover

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:53 pm

There's a lot more than justr coffee for sale. Soy milk, tea, chai, the gods know what now. Maybe there'll be a menu posted?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 am

Maybe its been asked before... I understand ICE, its necessary'ish. But why is it ok to sell coffee when there is no commerce aloud?
LindseyRaeFace

Postby FaeTora » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am

Allowed i think is what you meant.

My guess is to keep people from killing each other. My boss once paid someone to go get me coffee when I was running late and couldnt get some because I am not a nice person before i have a cup or two.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:23 am

But why is it ok to sell coffee when there is no commerce aloud?

It's the humane thing to do. A lot of people forget to bring coffee, and withdrawal is a bitch. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:30 am

Also, all the profits from the coffee and ice sales go towards nonprofit groups in the Gerlach area. So it's for a good cause.
MoonSplash

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am

It's a BM tradition. There's always been coffee and chai for sale. Ask Ron Tetrick ("Chai guy").
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:39 am

I def saw the benefit of the coffee, glad to hear its for a good cause :) I was just curious, thanks for the feedback

<3
LindseyRaeFace

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

2008 menu:

My all time fave is iced chai with soy milk...mmmmmm!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Mmm... Chai...

If you get it with soy milk is chai vegan?

(Newly Vegan)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:15 pm

You'll have to ask a vegan...but soy is a veggie. Are there non-vegan veggies?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 pm

MoonSplash wrote:Also, all the profits from the coffee and ice sales go towards nonprofit groups in the Gerlach area. So it's for a good cause.

Correction: Ice sales go to local non-profits.
Coffee sale proceeds go to the upkeep of the cafe and it's accotraments. The tent, flags, furniture, stages...I don't know if they have their own sound systems, but that sort of stuff. Apparently Larry thinks that having the cafe as a sort of "baby-pool" for newbs to step into participation is a good thing. He may be right. Does anyone have a "breaking out of your shell in the cafe" story?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
MoonSplash wrote:Also, all the profits from the coffee and ice sales go towards nonprofit groups in the Gerlach area. So it's for a good cause.

Coffee sale proceeds go to the upkeep of the cafe and it's accotraments. The tent, flags, furniture, stages...I don't know if they have their own sound systems, but that sort of stuff. Apparently Larry thinks that having the cafe as a sort of "baby-pool" for newbs to step into participation is a good thing. He may be right. Does anyone have a "breaking out of your shell in the cafe" story?

My understanding is that the ice sales were originally started by the local high school, and the profits go to them to help support various community related projects in the local area?

At least this is what my beautiful wonderful friend the Ice Queen told me a while back..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:33 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

My understanding is that the ice sales were originally started by the local high school, and the profits go to them to help support various community related projects in the local area?

At least this is what my beautiful wonderful friend the Ice Queen told me a while back..

The ice sales go to the local community. The carwash goes to the high school (as well it should, they do all the work.) I think that ice has gone to the schools in the past, I don't know if they always get a cut, or if they don't get it some years, well outside my area of knowledge. I know that they got a solar roof out of some local group metric's involved with.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby alexis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Coffee sale proceeds go to the upkeep of the cafe and it's accotraments. The tent, flags, furniture, stages...I don't know if they have their own sound systems, but that sort of stuff. Apparently Larry thinks that having the cafe as a sort of "baby-pool" for newbs to step into participation is a good thing. He may be right. Does anyone have a "breaking out of your shell in the cafe" story?

I DO!

Last year was my first burn. I spent a couple of early days wandering around Center camp. I didn't quite get the "gifting" thing yet, and so felt awkward wandering into strangers' camps. I managed to get a snow cone my first day, but that was about it.

My second day at center camp, I was sitting and writing in my journal. I felt someone looking at me. I looked up to see a burly, military-looking dude watching me write.

I am a New Yorker, and in NYC, when someone looks hard at you and you're not in a bar, you assume they are crazy, want something from you, or are otherwise to be avoided.

He started to approach me, and I'm all "fuck, what does he want, why is he coming over here, is he going to bother me" etc etc. He stops before me, I BRISTLE, and he reaches out to hand me something. And then leaves, without a word. I look down, and it's the most BEAUTIFUL necklace pendant.

A WONDERFUL lesson on the playa. And it happened to me AGAIN, also at center camp, a little later. A glorious woman approached me and said "you need a Burning Man necklace" and gave me this GORGEOUS black/steel pendant.

I mourn that necklace to this DAY because it fell off somewhere at the JFK airport once I got home. I had already passed through the doors where they don't let you back into the airport, so I couldn't even go back and scrounge for it.

But I can say for sure, that Center Camp is DEFINITELY where I learned to receive gifts, and where I started to open up to and understand the magic of the playa!
alexis

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:05 pm

This post just reminded me to get back out there and make more glass pendants to gift.. t-minus 4.5 days until I get on a plane out west.. :D
junglesmacks

Postby alexis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"]This post just reminded me to get back out there and make more glass pendants to gift.. t-minus 4.5 days until I get on a plane out west.. :D[/quote]

Yay! I bet they're beautiful!

t-minus 5.5 days for me till I fly to Reno! Packing going OK, still hurriedly trying to finish up outfits.

See you at home!
The more I let go, the more it flows in.
alexis

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:08 pm

alexis wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:This post just reminded me to get back out there and make more glass pendants to gift.. t-minus 4.5 days until I get on a plane out west.. :D

Yay! I bet they're beautiful!

t-minus 5.5 days for me till I fly to Reno! Packing going OK, still hurriedly trying to finish up outfits.

See you at home!

I literally did walk straight outside in the nice FL afternoon rain and make a few more until I ran out of oxygen for the torch. I'll pick more up tomorrow..

Snapped this in process. This would be my most favorite color in the world.. I just wish that I could make them stay this way..

junglesmacks

Postby Playa Foot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 pm

The price of coffee went up a dollar this year, so it is three bucks for ice, three bucks for coffee and seven bucks for a LarryBurger..
Playa Foot

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:50 pm

If you can scare up a VIP Pass you get a 20% discount at the Food Court.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby alexis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:03 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"]
I literally did walk straight outside in the nice FL afternoon rain and make a few more until I ran out of oxygen for the torch. I'll pick more up tomorrow..

Snapped this in process. This would be my most favorite color in the world.. I just wish that I could make them stay this way..
[/quote]

That is GORGEOUS! Simply gorgeous. I bet that's a hard photo to take :)

Come by the Hookahdome sometime during the burn + chill! 8:00 & Esplande!
The more I let go, the more it flows in.
alexis

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Absolutely! I'll be at 7:30 & B, so right around the corner from you :)

PS.. go to your profile settings, and check the "yes" button for "allow BBCode", smilies and HTML. It will make your reply quoting and other fun stuff work right..
junglesmacks

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Apparently in a year with practically 0% inflation, center camp deemed it necessary to increase coffee price because .... uhm, they wanted to.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby thesandman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Looks like coffee price are up this year on a 12 year high or may be just a scam to jack up the world wide price
8) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-20/coffee-prices-surge-to-12-year-high-on-short-term-supply-concerns.html
thesandman

Next

Return to Food & Drink