Realistic non-cooler based menu planning

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think you meant:
I'm like an 8-year-old in that I run around screaming and yelling until it's sleep time, then fal asle--

Oh yes, totally, I zzzzzzzzz
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Realistic non-cooler based menu planning

Postby Charlie Parker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:10 pm

I work in a sandwich/pizza place and one thing we sell is giant kosher pickles. I asked my boss if they would allow me to buy a bucket (40-50 pickles) from them at the wholesale price, and she said yes. I think I know what I'm gifting. :D

Also, there will be plenty of pickle juice if anybody needs some for their bloody marys.
"Be the change you wanna see in the world."

"Bears are crazy, Willie. They'll bite your head if you wear steak on it."
Charlie Parker

Re:

Postby Sunkix4 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

[quote="Dork"]
cheap bread (you want the stuff with preservatives)
[/quote]

Good call! I'm anti preservatives, but I never thought of their benefits at Burning Man.
Sunkix4

Postby MisterSaunders » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Quick note on Tasty Bites, or similar boil-in-the-bag "Indian" stuff... I find a can of garbanzo beans dumped into them (you can warm them in the water you're heating the sachet in, or just tip them in cold) hearty's things up quite nicely if it otherwise feels a bit too much like a bowl of hot, oily sauce. Yes, even the ones that already have garbanzo beans in them ... but equally the spinach/paneer &/or lentil packs.

Likewise, a can of garbanzo beans added to a pot of flavored cous cous has often served as a good one-pot meal for two at playa-appetite levels.
MisterSaunders

Re: Re:

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Sunkix4 wrote:
Dork wrote:cheap bread (you want the stuff with preservatives)

Good call! I'm anti preservatives, but I never thought of their benefits at Burning Man.

It doesn't have to be Wonder Bread or anything. It just can't be fresh artisan bakery bread that bills itself proudly as "no preservatives" and is meant to be consumed in 2-3 days tops.

You can still get whole grain commercially made bread. Just store it in a cool, dry place (not in the car or a hot tent) and open it daily for up to 30 minutes to air it out, preferably facing away from wherever the wind is coming from. This is counter-intuitive, leaving bread open, but it can keep bread nice for 5+ days. Last year I never did get mold at all, actually.

But concentrate it in your early meals, just in case.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:51 pm

MisterSaunders wrote:Quick note on Tasty Bites, or similar boil-in-the-bag "Indian" stuff... I find a can of garbanzo beans dumped into them (you can warm them in the water you're heating the sachet in, or just tip them in cold) hearty's things up quite nicely if it otherwise feels a bit too much like a bowl of hot, oily sauce. Yes, even the ones that already have garbanzo beans in them ... but equally the spinach/paneer &/or lentil packs.

Likewise, a can of garbanzo beans added to a pot of flavored cous cous has often served as a good one-pot meal for two at playa-appetite levels.

Interesting.. and true how you can think to mix canned veggies/items with pre-cooked things to make them stretch a little...

Flavah' savah'..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm

bump
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Re: Re: BREAD

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 am

Savannah wrote:
Sunkix4 wrote:

It doesn't have to be Wonder Bread or anything. It just can't be fresh artisan bakery bread that bills itself proudly as "no preservatives" and is meant to be consumed in 2-3 days tops.

You can still get whole grain commercially made bread. Just store it in a cool, dry place (not in the car or a hot tent) and open it daily for up to 30 minutes to air it out, preferably facing away from wherever the wind is coming from. This is counter-intuitive, leaving bread open, but it can keep bread nice for 5+ days. Last year I never did get mold at all, actually.

But concentrate it in your early meals, just in case.

Savannah you Goddess I followed your instructions and had fresh sandwich rolls for 8 days. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 am

junglesmacks wrote:
MisterSaunders wrote:Quick note on Tasty Bites, or similar boil-in-the-bag "Indian" stuff... I find a can of garbanzo beans dumped into them (you can warm them in the water you're heating the sachet in, or just tip them in cold) hearty's things up quite nicely if it otherwise feels a bit too much like a bowl of hot, oily sauce. Yes, even the ones that already have garbanzo beans in them ... but equally the spinach/paneer &/or lentil packs.

Interesting.. and true how you can think to mix canned veggies/items with pre-cooked things to make them stretch a little...

Flavah' savah'..

Rice works well too.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 am

FWIW, this year was the last year that I'll go without a cooler.

The girl and I were craving fresh fruits and veggies all week, and having to intrude on friends' cooler space every day for cold drinks got old quick. The vow for next year is to stay way healthier and eat much better out there, as there is a direct correlation to how well you treat your body out there and your overall fun level. If you're zapped for energy each night from lack of proper nutrition.. you're not having as much fun.

Up on the "want" list for next year is a gas powered blender for daily smoothies.. :twisted:

junglesmacks

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am

Although we did bring a cooler for the beverages, we pretty much planned to do without cooking the entire burn and brought mostly canned stuff, granola bars, and cereal. Due to greatly reduced appetites, we barely ate any of it.

Although I generally eat the same way whenever camping, I must say the few times I had fresh cooked food that week were heavenly. This included a cheesburger, chicken drumstick, and maple glazed bacon (the most delicious thing I've ever tasted).

Next year we plan to do more cooking, or at least plan to have that option should we get ambitious enough to fire up a grill or stove.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Raymaker » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:02 am

in the alternate world I eat pretty well, I do not eat pot-noodle type food, but we bought some for BM, I so glad I did, it was quick and easy and filled a hole when needed.
Raymaker

Re: Re:

Postby skibear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 am

My cheap bread (Sara Lee lo cal/lo carb wheat bread from Wallyworld) stayed fine
all week. It was still fine Wednesday afterward when I threw it out.

I only ate about 1/3 of my food and continued trying to finish canned stuff in hotel (with electric hotpot)
the 3 days after I left. Took lightweight dried stuff on plane.

I drank so much at others bars I hardly touched my beer. Ending up gifting a 30 pack of Tecate to
the Party Naked Tiki Bar on Thurs and a 12 pack of Fat Tire to BMIR on Monday. still left about 20 cans
of beer & a good cooler at 2am in courtyard of a Sacramento motel. It was GONE by 4am :shock:
:)
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby skibear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:33 am

junglesmacks wrote:Up on the "want" list for next year is a gas powered blender for daily smoothies.. :twisted:

I saw a chainsaw gas blender serving Margaritas in 2007. One of the most awesome things I've seen yet.
They literally took a gas chainsaw apart and jury rigged a bracket holding the blender.

It made the most gawd awful noise as if it was about to saw your leg off then poured out great Margaritas !!
8)

sorry no pictures.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 am

skibear wrote:It made the most gawd awful noise as if it was about to saw your leg off then poured out great Margaritas !!
8)

Lol.. yeah this was the first year that I'd seen one. It was at the Euro camp at the 9 o'clock portal. They let the girl come around the counter and try it. It was pretty much all kinds of awesome.
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:
skibear wrote:It made the most gawd awful noise as if it was about to saw your leg off then poured out great Margaritas !!
8)

Lol.. yeah this was the first year that I'd seen one. It was at the Euro camp at the 9 o'clock portal. They let the girl come around the counter and try it. It was pretty much all kinds of awesome.

Annnnnnnd I'm back in love with the human race. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 am

Savannah wrote:
Annnnnnnd I'm back in love with the human race. :)

Don't ever leave us again!
junglesmacks

Postby NessaZee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:23 am

this plus a half avocado to even out the heat is so tasty!! even some croutons :)

avocados are great OTP, just make sure to get some that are really green and un-ripe.
eggs are great as long as they are stored in a shady dry place (like under the vehicle where no sun hits)
OLIVES!! especially garlic stuffed olives in white wine OMG

the OP mentioned no hassle/prep, just in and out of the grocery store. dried mung beans and alfalfa seeds sprout great on the playa. you just need a towel/ tinfoil to cover them for the first few days (mung take 2-3 days, alfalfa take 5-6). items you need: cheesecloth, wide-mouth mason jars and elastic bands. it was SO nice to have fresh sprouts on the final saturday! the only responsibility is to rinse them twice every 24 hours until they are ready.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby NessaZee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:08 am

another one of my non-cooler faves OTP is spirulina powder (heaping half tsp) and greens powder (heaping tbsp) mixed with water.

the best greens powder that i have come across in the past 8 years is called Nova Greens Superfood from a company called Naturally Nova Scotia. Not sickly sweet and super palatable.

add 5ml of lemon flavored cod liver oil (good for joints and has anti-inflammatory effects) and you're set. store the greens powders and oil with the fresh eggs under the vehicle.
Last edited by Lassen Forge on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Per OP's request to remove the link erroneously inserted after edit cutoff window expired. bb sue, mod., ePlaya
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby International Incident » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Bumping this as it has great ideas!
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby wh..sh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 pm

There are only so many options for vegetarian canned food. Last year I bought cans food and just couldn't get myself to eat it.
Tortilla and bread worked great. I am normally not a picky eater. But on playa, I just couldn't get myself to eat anything that wasn't enticing. Who would have thought.

This year, I have plans for unrealistic, home-cooked meals on playa.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 pm

This year, I'm finally bringing a cooler.
junglesmacks

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm

this, some pickles, chicken fat and some cel-ray, its all you need.

you live can for 40 years in the desert on this shit.

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:this, some pickles, chicken fat and some cel-ray, its all you need.

you live can for 40 years in the desert on this shit.

Coincidentally, you won't shit for those forty years.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:17 pm

on the upside, you save a fortune on toilet paper.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:00 pm

But when it comes you want something so filled with cotton fiber that robbidobbs would have a kniption fit.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby H.G.Crosby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 pm

ach,

two-ply is for goyim.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby seantildawn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am

How do onions hold up out there? Red Onion would really make my dish pop. I sure could use a bag if it won't turn to soup by Thursday.
seantildawn

Burning Since: 1998

Postby lemur » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:50 am

onions ..fine.

just be careful not to moop all over the place with the papery outer layer of onions.. its a real pain inthe ass to dig them out of the playa.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Sunny D » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 pm

A healthy side dish I like to make is quinoa in thai curry sauce with slivered almonds. Add green onions if you do have a cooler. Easy recipe.

1 Cup - organic free range chicken broth
1/4 Cup - thai curry sauce or any curry of your choice
1 Cup - quinoa
1 lime
1/3 Cup - slivered almonds. You can do more or less depending on the texture and flavor you want.
1/4 Cup - green onions

Boil broth and curry, add quinoa, cover, stir occasionally, let simmer until you can fluff it with a fork. Add your almonds, onions, and then lime juice that baby. Makes 4 servings, but since I'm camping with six others, I will not have anything leftover to refrigerate. Perfect.

Delicious, healthy, easy, and VERY filling!
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are.
- Eckhart Tolle
Sunny D

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink